What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Earlier this morning a Britten- Norman Islander, white with red wing tips kept flying around here passing over the house about six times. The sound of a large piston engined plane always gets me out into the garden! We get a lot of Cessnas and small helicopters probably from Cranfield but I've never seen this Islander before. A few years ago the BBMF Lancaster flew over because Bletchley park is near here and they had a reunion of the code breakers. I'm hoping to see some more interesting air activity here during the air show season. In the past a DC3, P51 and Spitfires have all been watched from the garden.

Posted by buster prop on 21/05/2014 10:45:56:

Earlier this morning a Britten- Norman Islander, white with red wing tips kept flying around here passing over the house about six times.

This one partly matches the description - though it has red on the fuselage as well as the wing tips.

cimg3263.jpg

It is was based at Manston, I believe now it's at Lydd. Manston is where I saw it.

Let's see, Euro fighters on CAP most nights, Apache, various very low level marine helis, live under the Old Sarum airfield circuit so also see skydivers, aerobats, microlites and those little flying coffins.... Oh what do you call em? Um..,. Oh yes auto gyros 😉 oh! And the occasional glider, great watching them being towed!

absolutely love watching it all 😀

Last week I was sitting in the May sunshine drinking coffee with a french friend, when a french air force jet flew by very very low

"Ah c'est sebastien in his rafale" she said. How could she know that? The rafale did a wide circuit round the bay, went knife edge right along the seafront. This is his mothers café was the explanation

ernie

We regularly get a couple of them very low indeed over here Ernie. They are from Brest and I think that they are ex submariners who think that they are still in subs.

One or two classic sound barrier double bangs from time to time too. Illegal but hey, so what, this is France after all.

Posted by David Pearce 4 on 01/05/2014 13:34:18:

I'm glad I started this, great response.

When I was a boy I lived in Chippenham and if I watched out of the front window I saw Comets and Britanias from RAF Lyneham. If I looked out of the back it was Hastings in circuit over RAF Colerne. I cycled out to both and saw the first C130Ks Hercules on delivery at Colerne. I remember seeing 9 Hastings in box formation, lovely sight and sound. Always fancied an RC Hastings...

Do you remember the Brigands out of Colerne?. I also remember seeing the Brabazon fly over Bath. Amazing engine sound .

Posted by Miketgd on 28/05/2014 09:43:33:
Posted by David Pearce 4 on 01/05/2014 13:34:18:

I'm glad I started this, great response.

When I was a boy I lived in Chippenham and if I watched out of the front window I saw Comets and Britanias from RAF Lyneham. If I looked out of the back it was Hastings in circuit over RAF Colerne. I cycled out to both and saw the first C130Ks Hercules on delivery at Colerne. I remember seeing 9 Hastings in box formation, lovely sight and sound. Always fancied an RC Hastings...

Do you remember the Brigands out of Colerne?. I also remember seeing the Brabazon fly over Bath. Amazing engine sound .

Sorry Mike but I'm not old enough for Brigands! Talking of sounds to remember I used to visit an uncle who worked at and lived near Patchway. I remember watching and listening to the Vulcan test bed for the Concorde engine. Take offs were almost frightening!

• 2 weeks later...

Two B52s flew over Staverton this morning making a bit more noise than the usual residents, presumably from Fairford. It’s been quite good around here lately; our resident Pitts Special spent the other evening doing some relaxed aerobatics. He was at a good height and easy to see. On Monday another B52 crawled noisily across our flying field while I was flying. It’s difficult not to start looking for an aircraft you can hear when flying but luckily he flew into my view. He was followed by a very low Hercules hugging the terrain. Great stuff.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 11/06/2014 11:58:04:

Isn't that pretty rare for B2's to be deployed anywhere from their home base? Are they here for an airshow perhaps? Although I'd not expect two of them for an airshow appearance.

My Guess Robin would be than an exercise is taking place timed as a show of strength whilst the Russians flex their muscles in Ukrain.

Posted by Robin Kearney on 11/06/2014 11:58:04:

Isn't that pretty rare for B2's to be deployed anywhere from their home base? Are they here for an airshow perhaps? Although I'd not expect two of them for an airshow appearance.

r

Nato are doing more "War Games" in the Baltics, 2nd time in as many months.

The American military industrial complex wont be making as much money from selling weapons seen as America is meant to be pulling out of Afghanistan, they need an excuse to ramp up fear and get countries spending money on arms to protect them from some faux boogeyman, the coldwar were their glory years, so cold war 2.0 would be in their best interests

Yesterday evening at about 8pm I was at our flying field near Milton Keynes when the AN225 flew over. It was fairly high but recognisable by its twin tail fins, we could just make out the six engines because it's such a huge plane. We wondered where it had come from but there's a picture in this morning's Times showing the 225 leaving east Midlands airport which answers that question. Because it was so calm a hot air balloon could also be seen. I had great evening flying as well, with other refugees from the football. Seeing the AN225 was a bonus.

Thinking about it, the AN225 may have been heading back to EM because it was flying roughly north. The pic in the Times was of it leaving EM so it must have been somewhere else south of here. Does anyone know? Glad I saw it wherever it had been or was going. I was flying a few planes yesterday evening including a V S P (Very Short Plane) by Dereck Woodward built from a free plan in Q&E F I. Great fun flyer with a 200 W motor. More fun than watching football!

Apart from the full panoply of Air Pollution (sorry, civil heavies heading for Heathrow), being within the airspace for Biggin Hill makes for variety.

This morning the inevitable Piper Arrows, Cessna 182s, a lone Spitfire (common enough sight, but usually a pair or with a Hurricane), a pair of Tucanos (I think), and quite a rarity round here these days, a Hughes 500 with original "D" spec body.

Earlier there were two mid sized polluters in the 06:00 - 06:30 dash for landings that were VERY VERY close as they reached the bottom of the stack, one South African, one Kenyan, witness the sudden port/starboard split...................bit like the Arrows pair......................... cool