First electric glider suggestion

Some requirements in random order:

• Slow landing speeds / short fields / flaps
  • Capable of FPV in the future
  • Good thermalling / climbing / slow flying
  • Strong / low maint
  • I'd sooooo love to have telemetry of height / airspeed and vario in the future

Even though I have a couple hundred hours as a saiplane pilot I know I'll be a total beginner when it comes to flying models (I'm currently learning to fly quadcopters).

Other than the glider, what flight control platform would you suggest ? Are there FCs that could help with stabilization and/or thermal centering ? What about Tx/Rx ? I currently have an old Spektrum DX6i for my quad but guess it would might not have enough chans for flaps / airbrakes whatever ?

Thanks for any initial guidance / advice

Robert

• 6 months later...

Hobbyking Bixler. Perfect for what you want. Best 'bang for the buck' fun I've had for years.

So easy to fly, flaps make small field landings a doddle, thermals really well.s

mall enough to leave rigged, prop above the fus behind the wing so out of the way of camera. I use it with a Mobius camera for recording and with an inexpensive HK fpv setup that works really well. Seconds to remove the canopy and fit the fpv setup. Mobius just fitted with velcro on the nose. I am very impressed with the stock fpv kit and monitor.

I use the Frsky Taranis transmitter which again I cannot recommend too highly and Frsky receivers. I've got a Frsky vario in it (£20) and on a 3 way switch I have audio vario tones or spoken rate of climb/descent or altitude. Volume controlled on a slider so I can turn it down if it gets on me nerves. Highest thermal has been to 415 meters at which point it's only just visible.

Like you I have full size sailplane hours (and PPL), Bixler makes me smile a lot.

Sorry about the bold print, can't get rid of it《

That's one thing I can fix, Ernie....wink 2

As fats suggests, have a look at the Bixler 3 - the latest version. Not a large glider at 1550mm span and thermal performance won't match the EG, TBH, but it's designed for easy conversion to FPV and it's as cheap as chips and a doddle to fly.

Pete

Robert, some good suggestions there re Bixler, Easystar and Easy Glider are all good, and I can voucher for both the Easystar and Easy Glider being pretty tough and robust.. I wouldn't get too hung up about adding flaps etc for now and with your Dx6i you can set up any of the above to have spoilerons (admittedly on a switch) to dump the lift on landing. You can then start to look around at other radios once you've got a real idea of what you want.

I'll also just point you to the Parkzone Ka8, not electric, but a really good glider and comes Bind n Fly to link with your Dx6i, and as it's being discontinued it's on special offer here.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I am converting an old GentleLady to a motor/Lipo launch. I know that as the battery depletes the prop stops but there will/should be enough power to run the receiver and servos for a period of time. If this were a powered airplane, the best idea would be to land . But ,If there was a lot of thermal activity going on I just do not want to land right now. SO,---the way I figure it is to cut the small red wire which usually goes to the receiver, tape it over, and plug in a separate battery pack into the receiver of a size I know will be OK for several hours or until my neck gives out. Does this sound about right? ----------Another silly question if I may.( I have not flown in years) if I plug the servo in the wrong way will anything bad happen or will it just not work?-------Regards, Bob C

Robert, you don't say what battery size, but I' say with a Gentle Lady that 500 mah would quite easily give you well over 2 hours non-powered flight, based on our non-powered Bird of Time. If your radio has a throttle activated timer you can set that so you have plenty of battery left.

I don't think you really need a separate battery, and also it's not a good idea to continuously discharge the Lipo power pack down to the low voltage cut out on a regular basis as that reduces their life.

Fully agree with the esteemed Steve Dorling - ticks all the boxes. Construction straightforward and everything fits without sanding/trimming/easing i.e. Multiplex quality. As Ikura says, no need for flaps & drifting about at height you don't even need the ailerons, just a sniff of rudder and even less of elevator.

Thank you all sooooo much. Two little questions if I may:

a) What are the differences between the Easyglider Pro and 4

b) In case I would use it as a platform for aerial video in the future would your recommendations still hold true?

I have an oldish radio I use with my quadcopter. That would be good for it hence only need to buy a receiver and LiPos for the take off motor ?

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

Hello,--I know converting Gentle Ladies to electric have been done with success but after messing around with this I remembered I had an old Goldberg "Electra" laying around. Never did work with 7 NiCads and car motor so went back to IC. Got it out and it really is nothing but a wide fuselage GL with a 3 piece wing so..........going to LiPo and out runner we will see in a bit how she goes.-----can't be any heaver. I doubt the "Electra" is still being made.-----------------------------Bob in Kansas

I’ll second the recommendation to get an Easy Glider. Very pleased with mine which is an EG4. As far as I can see the differences between it and earlier Easy Gliders are: square section wing spar, bolt on tail and M-Space fuselage. M-Space is Multiplexes’ idea of having cavities inside the rear fuselage to save weight. Mine was an RR and I fly it with a 1300 3S instead of a 2200. The ailerons aren’t very powerful but the rudder is, you could probably fly it rudder and elevator. I have a lot of rudder mixed with the aileron channel. Good plane, high quality manufacture, tough, easy to fly but not a real floater like a Radian. Can perform very well.

• 3 years later...

+1 for the Multiplex foamies. I truly love wooden gliders, but the Easy Gliders is my only foam one. I use it with a separate Tx to get people into glider towing. It flies so well and is well thought out. Like other said before, stay away from the cheap knock offs.

Edited by High_Start