Danny's "poor mans Spitty"

Danny Fenton

Hi Hugh, welcome to the build. I did something similar on mine, building a box that followed the line of the bearers. You might need to beef it up a little for the Laser.

1a.thumb.jpg.3d2eaa8c47333b497e7cce34cb9ee2e5.jpg

I have taken a picture with a ruler alongside, hopefully this might give you enough information to make a decision.

Outlined is the battery box/engine mount.

Its not an easy build bur very rewarding.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, exactly what I was after. I think it will work!

I was considering a DB Auster after folowwing your build, but I think the Chippy will far better for my style of flying. There are also many videos on the Bryant Chippy to help.

I think spending last Saturday at Shuttleworth Evening Airshow convinced me. Just have to finish of a Dawn Flyer & and a Gordon Whitehead Cap 21 & I'll be good to go.

Thank you for your time & excellent build sequence.

Cheers

Hugh

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Danny, I have now got a copy of the plan and getting a 'kit' together. I wil be getting the wood ect from Sarik. I have a stock of 1.6mm epoxy board to fettle the hinges I hope that is the right size. There is no longer an option to but them ready cut.

Looking at the images on the build, it looks as though the 10BA bolts are brass, is that the prefered option as opposed to steel?

I will be shimming the hinges with brass tube.

This build thread and others has been so helpfull, it will save falling into many traps that are lurking!

Thanks

Hugh

2 minutes ago, Hugh P said:

Danny, I have now got a copy of the plan and getting a 'kit' together. I wil be getting the wood ect from Sarik. I have a stock of 1.6mm epoxy board to fettle the hinges I hope that is the right size. There is no longer an option to but them ready cut.

Looking at the images on the build, it looks as though the 10BA bolts are brass, is that the prefered option as opposed to steel?

I will be shimming the hinges with brass tube.

This build thread and others has been so helpfull, it will save falling into many traps that are lurking!

Thanks

Hugh

Hi Hugh, yes I used brass, as long as the hinges are bushed, should be fine. You will enjoy the build but its not a quick build.

Fit mini servos in each wing, would be my advice. Also rigidly fit oleos....

Cheers

Danny

1 hour ago, Danny Fenton said:

Hi Hugh, yes I used brass, as long as the hinges are bushed, should be fine. You will enjoy the build but its not a quick build.

Fit mini servos in each wing, would be my advice. Also rigidly fit oleos....

Cheers

Danny

Blimey that was a quick reply! Yep 2 servos for aileron and one for flaps was the plan. Oleos I am having trouble find them. I think 120 or 125mm should do the trick but HK are out of stock. Still by the time I need them they may well be available!

Many thanks for you help Danny.

• Like 1