Phil finally building the DF

Phil Winks

Well better late than never I suppose, I found what I was looking for at woodspring wings a couple of weeks ago, A spanking new SC30FS being sold at less than half price and so the DF IC can be started,

This will be a learning curve for me as this is only my second aero IC engine, the 1st being an SC46 in an arising star back up in Doncaster in 2005, that was sold when I joined an all electric club in 2008.

Fitting of the engine is simple enough, move F1/F1a back and beef it up to take the engine mount, squeezing a tank in at the right level will be more fun, its looking like it'll be a very small one!!

Also ready to go are the hubs for some wire wheels

picture 001 df 2014.jpg

Edited By Phil Winks on 20/07/2014 20:30:05

• 2 weeks later...
It's going slowly Chris. That's the problem with having two on the go at once add to that non stop good flying weather and things slow to an imperceptible crawl. I have be doing a bit though and now have a lovely exhaust pipe that will run down the side of the fuse. Pics to follow when I get on my PC. And now the tank has arrived I can start working out how to fit it at the cog and level ish with the carb. So just about to start cutting wood.

Just managed to get these pics of the exhaust, besides looking the part it should help keep some of the oily stuff of the fuselage

picture 002 df 2014.jpg

picture 003 df 2014.jpg

picture 005 df 2014.jpg

As you can see the Dubro 4oz tank is here and now I should be able to start cutting wood especially the modified wing spar to let me mount the tank on the COG and level with the carb, some would say this isn't absolutely neccasery but if its not then, 4ozs of fuel disappearing during flight is bound to change the balance even if only slightly

Not to much progress work keeps getting in the way, However I have test run the engine and it purrs along nicely although the club experts think the prop is a little large despite the opinions of Steve Dorling in his review in the RCM&E so a 9 1/2 x 6 bolly has been ordered, Now a quick question to the IC users on here I need a supplier of after run oil, my current choice from my IC car days was model technics synthetic after run and is a little low, I'm struggling to find some more and wondered what you all are using, someone with and Internet outlet would be good but mail/telephone order would do too

the 1st days balsa (lite ply and ply) bashing has arrived courtosy of the tail end of a hurricane,

the picture below shows the results, F1 has been modified to allow it to be moved rearward to accomodate the engine, and has been epoxied to the right side of the fuse allowing for side and down thrust

picture 005 df 2014.jpg

The ribs still need the wiring holes cutting and I have to cut the holes in most of the other formers where required and make a modified wing joiner to allow the tank to go in the required spot, but proper progress has started

A little more progress today, for those who have built this one this is a familiar picture, what has become known as the "canoe" and to be fair I didn't really appreciate how apt that description is until I had this in my hands.

As previous builders will see, F1 is much heavier but with out F1a, and there is a huge cutout in F2 to accommodate the tank neck, the 2 brass tubes set in F2 are to take the 5mm steel bolts I'll use as wing dowels, the tubes preventing the holes enlarging over time.

Next job is to fit the engine bearers and Fc, prob tomorrow evening. My plan is to keep the cowl cheeks intact, for strength and create a top hatch for access to the engine from above, as that's where the carb intake will be so it will need to be opened prior to starting to prep the engine for starting, as simply blocking the exhaust efflux doesn't result in the engine getting wet enough to start, also it is apparent that a remote glow connection will be required.

picture 006 df 2014.jpg

Edited By Phil Winks on 11/08/2014 21:33:57

Very true Dave though for personal reasons I'll stick with Canoe for now, plus it seems wrong to put a pilot model or not in one of them boxes before the things even flown cheeky

The stately progress is mostly due to work got home at 7:30 this evening and still had to eat etc., expect faster progress this weekend when all I have to do is put some architrave around 2 new doors before retiring to the shed thumbs up

Now there's a thought John cheeky !!! I will of course be finishing with a nice mahogany or oak stain, not quite sure which yet question

The motor mount and Fc went in this evening as planned,

picture 007 df 2014.jpg

picture 008 df 2014.jpg

Fc will be doubled up with 5mm balsa so I can sandwich the mesh grill between the two, The 6mm plate acting as the engine bearers fitted like this will, I believe, give fairly substantial strength, and I intend to coat the entire engine bay with finishing epoxy prior to fuel proofing, hopefully that'll prevent fuel getting into the joints and timber.

Two steps forward and three back has been this weeks progress, I made the mistake of using the original plan to cut the formers out for ease of cutting and had a copy made to build on, having got the fuselage box, canoe built and the engine mount sorted, I started on the top ladder section for the rear of the fuselage, all went well, building over the plan, as expected, until I came to try it against the top of the canoe section, the copy plan is approx 2mm wider than the original, so some alteration needs to be done before continuing with the fuse, Strange I made this error given that I warned someone on this forum of exactly this possibility not two months ago blush

Finally some pics of proper progress to share, I've sorted the differences between the copy plan and the original and the rear of the fuselage is progressing properly and nice and true which is always a bonus, wink

one deviation from the plan evident here is the last upright under the tailfeathers is now a triangle I feel it gives a little more rigidity and and helps ensure the bottom longeron is true to the top frame.

picture 009 df 2014.jpg

and a quick view of the epquipment bay, I think there should be no issues getting everything in here though I may yet beef up around the wing dowels on F2.

picture 010 df 2014.jpg

Yes Phil, I put a post on another thread I forget which, I came across your name on some old Bmfa papers. 2006 I think it was, I was a member then as well, I used to fly with Andy Lindley a lot you remember him ? I am the very talented good looking one but modesty prevents me from posting a picture. (old hippy) Where you flying now?

John