Flycatcher

Bit more done this morning starting with trimming away the trailing edge at the centre section so that the wing can be dropped into position on the fuselage, set square and the drilled to position the outer ply plates with the rear structure to fix a bolt in position. The trailing edge is trimmed just clear of the motor pod by a a couple of mm as I am adding another rib that will sit along each side.

s1230004.jpg

With the wing fixed square with a couple of bolts dropped in position through the ply plates it was time to position the front dowel plate. This is let into the leading edge and aligned with the main centre former. A hole to accept a 6mm dowel was then drilled through the plate, leading edge and just the front main spar brace.

s1230005.jpg

A dowel was then cut to length and glued into position long enough so that it protrudes a couple of mm through the main former.

s1230006.jpg

Next job was to fix the two ribs either side of the pod. To do this I want to be sure I have adequate clearance for the film covering so I used a piece of cereal packet card as a spacer and then cut a rib to suit between trailing edge and the rear of the main spar. Using a scrap of ply temporarily clamped at the trailing edge the ribs were glued each side of the pod spaced off by the card. some 6mm square was added for strength at the joints to the trailing edge and main spar.

s1230007.jpg

Whilst the sides are drying I also added the front and rear formers for what will be the dummy fuel tank. The rear is positioned just a couple of mm forward of the main former to give clearance for the wing dowel. Both formers are supported by a 90 wedge to keep them square and will be finished with a wrap of 1mm ply a little later in the build.

s1230009.jpg

More soon. Linds

Bit more of an update starting with adding the trailing edge 1.5mm sheeting to the wing and the sheet wing tips cut from soft 3mm balsa and glued on top of the lower spars and end rib face. I have also added the captive nuts that will fix to the tail structure and made a start on the centre area sheeting on the wing.

s1240001.jpg

There is a debate going on in my head right now regarding the leading edge. On the original dawn flyer the leading edge is sheeted to the main spar to create a D Box section, whilst this is very strong and was fine before with this design I can't help but think a more vintage look with open ribs being the way to go. This will mean some shear webs to be added rather than sheeting, sometimes its the simplest of decisions that can cause delay's in figuring out a design.

s1250001.jpg

First chance to see the model generally assembled together, ok still needs an undercarriage and a pilot figure but I think she is starting to look the part, just not sure about the name now - Dawn Flyer 2 seems a bit lacking.

s1240003.jpg

More soon. Linds

Colin, your quite right there is definitely a touch of Demoiselle about it (always fancied building a large one) however whilst I chew over the name issue some more progress has been made starting with the addition of some more 1mm ply reinforcing plates firstly to the underside of the rear structure joint that the connecting bolt will pass through and then again 1mm plates to each vertical top joint on both sides.

s1260004.jpg

I had these plates cnc cut but triangular jobs would work just as well.

s1250028.jpg

Next job was to complete the bracing at the front of the fuselage and again using the 1mm ply braces. I also cut a piece of 3mm balsa sheet that slides inside the fuselage that will act as a seat and hatch cover that can be just about seen but will focus on that a little more later.

s1260006.jpg

Back to the wing and the shear webs from 1.5 medium balsa have now been added to the rear of the mains spar

s1260002.jpg

I also took the opportunity to add the first length of sheeting to the trailing edge on the underside of the wing again from 1.5mm medium balsa. This extends 20mm back from the aileron cut out trailing edge. I also finished off the wing tips by adding 6mm balsa wedges aligned with the spars and sanded to shape.

s1260001.jpg

More soon. Linds

Thanks Colin, it will be interesting to see how much drag the blunt open nose area has for sure. I still have to select the motor for this but probably something around the 300watt 1000kv for 3cell Lipo should give adequate thrust.

First job today was to mount the undercarriage blocks, the rear being a fairly hefty hardwood item that I had lying around and a bit overkill, the forward a strip of 6mm marine ply. These are simply let into the fuselage sides and reinforced on the inside with triangular section. The undercarriage was made up from 3mm piano wire, bent to shape and silver soldered with the joints being whipped first with heavy fuse wire. The undercarriage was then fixed to the blocks with saddle clamps and self tapping screws.

s1260008.jpg

The wheels as per original are Flair items 3 1/4 inch.

s1260009.jpg

Final job today is to make a start on the top cap strips that run from the rear sheeting, over the ribs and finishing on the leading edge. When dry these will be trimmed and sanded together with the leading edge stock.

s1260010.jpg

More soon. Linds

Time for another update on progress. Well cap strips have now been completed top and bottom of the wing and the wings tips finished off nearly just needing some extra fillets to bring the trailing edge sheeting to the tip rather than the sheer edge at the last rib, using bock will simply make it a bit stronger and less prone to hanger rash. I have decided not to bother with the 3mm wide strip around the wing tip as per the original dawn flyer and just go with a thicker 3mm wing tip profile rounded off.

s1270038.jpg

The sheeting on the underside centre region has now been completed and extends out to the bolt fixing positions and tapers in to the 3rd ribs at the spar and then forward to the leading edge. The centre area being sized such that it is slightly smaller in width than the fuselage and of course will allow access for the aileron servo leads.

s1270037.jpg

The top wing centre sheeting differs in that it is narrower extending to the 2nd ribs and then extending out towards the trailing edge giving extra stiffness at this point local to the motor and propeller. the small gap will be filled. I simply ran out of sheet at this point.

s1270036.jpg

Time to start the covering with Solartex clear (I think that's what its called but stand to being corrected). Started with the tail plane and fin and then glued the two parts together ensuring a strip was removed to allow a timber to timber joint and then reinforced with cocktail sticks glued through the tail and into the fin. Also had time to finish the rudder having first sanded to shape and added ply reinforcements for the control horns.

Next job is probably more covering with the elevators including making up the wire joiner and covering the main wing. I'll make up the ailerons a little later.

More soon. Linds

Time for another quick update. The wing has now been covered although I still have the two servo mounts to finish on the underside and of course the ailerons to make.

s1280001.jpg

I also covered what will be a dummy fuel tank above the pilots seating area, this is made from 1mm ply wrapped over the top. I wetted the top surface and pre bent it a little by wrapping the ply around a suitable sized spray can so the final fit is a little easier to handle. A 6mm balsa front is then added. I will in due course cover this with self adhesive aluminium foil and add straps pipework and dummy cap, it looks a bit plain at this stage but should hopefully create a bit of visual interest.

s1280002.jpg

Final job today was to bend up a length of 2mm piano wire for the elevator joiner. The elevator first had some 1mm ply plates added top and bottom were the joiner will fix to add strength. Holes were the drilled and a slot in the leading edge so that the joiner sits flush with the leading edge. Once the joiner was glued into place the balsa leading edge was trimmed in line with the angled face so that we have just the wire connecting the two elevator halves. Doing it this way also ensure both elevators are level with each other. Next job will be to cover them.

s1280003.jpg

Next bit of construction will be the ailerons but I can also make a start on the layout of the servos for the elevator and rudder controls which will be a little different from the norm. More later. Linds

Time for a further update. Decided it was time to get some varnish down on the airframe so another trip to the DIY shed and select a suitable colour, no mahogany this time though a much lighter and perhaps more appropriate satin finish beech so time to slap it all over.

s1290001.jpg

3 coats so far, now ready for a sand and then probably another 2 to 3 coats to finish and then maybe a clear gloss over the top. Also got round to setting up and gluing the tail feathers in position at the rear so could not resist a couple of assembled shots of her so far

s1290003.jpg

s1290004.jpg

This power plant arrived today, not used this brand before but the spec should be fine for this model 30-35 equivalent 1100kv so should be adequate power on a 3cell lipo.

s1290005.jpg

Just need to make up a stand off for the motor and this can now be fixed in place so a job for later once the varnish is complete. More soon. Linds

Bit more of an update. I realised I had not added the diagonal 6mm balsa cross braces down the fuselage side, these are important strengthening braces that restrict twist in the rear fuselage particularly as the connection to the forward fuselage pod and wing is only at three points.

s1300001.jpg

I also needed to fit an stand off for the motor and as this has the shaft extending through the rear it was easiest to create a 2nd bulkhead with a hole and glue this in position between the side frames at the correct off set distance. This has also been braced with some 6mm square (tri stock would have been better and neater if I had any left). I have not set any side or down thrust yet although I plan to add at least 1.5 degrees down thrust for the first flights to compensate the flat wing section and parallel main wing and tail incidence.

s1300003.jpg

With that done it was time to make sure the elevator and rudder servos locate correctly in cut outs in the main former so that the servo heads are visible at the rear. These will have straight arms that will link down to bellcranks mounted on the fuselage sides that will in turn connect down the centre lower longeron via guides to the control surfaces.

s1300002.jpg

Finally tonight could not resist mounting the motor and fitting a prop, ok this one is slightly smaller than the intended 10inch job but gave me an impression of how it all fits and looks.

s1300005.jpg

Next jobs are a bit more varnish and then get the rear linkages sorted.

More soon. Linds

Bit more today dealing with the linkage system for elevator and rudder. Basically this requires a couple of bellcranks to fitted into the underside of the fuselage. This is done by mounting the cranks onto some 3mm ply with a laminate of 1mm ply extend by 6mm to allow a good gluing edge into a hole cut in the 6mm balsa underside of the fuselage so that the 3mm sits on the inside edge wit the 1mm on the inside face of the hole as in the picture below. This hole is aligned so that the cranks align with the output arms from the servos and such that the control rods will be clear of the fuselage underside in use so it needed a bit of careful measurement.

s1320003.jpg

Both cranks installed with a centre bridge piece installed to make things look a bit neater

s1320008.jpg

The elevator and rudder servos link to these cranks through a slot cut into the 3mm ply top deck via ball links and z bends, the control rods will then run from the cranks to the control surface horns. I will change the servo output arms to some longer version for the final installation.

s1320009.jpg

more soon. Linds

Bit more done today between fitting a new shower tray ( worst job in the world, glad that's done)

Started by making up some larger output discs for he rudder and elevator servos and connector rods to the bellcranks so that bit is now done and gives far more movement than will ever be necessary.

s1320012.jpg

Next job was to add the front sheeting to the nose section, this is simply 3mm sheet glued to the front face. The battery will fit just behind this lengthways and will be covered by the pilot and seat which will be on the board later this week.

s1320010.jpg

Also made a start with the ailerons, these are a template of 2mm sheet cut to size and a 6mm square balsa leading edge glued on top. 2mm ribs are then added, these will then be given 1.5mm x 6mm cap strips to tie in with the wings, then just a ply plate for the control horn, sand to shape and should be ready for covering soon.

s1320014.jpg

More soon. Linds

Bit more this evening so started by completing the ailerons by adding 1.5mm x 6mm cap strips over the ribs extending over the leading edge. A 3mm ply strip then added between the two first ribs and a 1mm ply plate on the underside for the control horn fixing completes the construction. A quick sand to give a taper to the leading edge and smooth off rough edges and are now ready for covering.

s1330002.jpg

Back to the fuselage and time to make up a restraining box for the 3cell 2200mah lipo in the forward section base, this will be hidden below the pilot and is large enough to take a considerably larger pack. This is simply lengths of 6mm balsa 10mm deep extending back across a couple of support strips on the base so that a Velcro strap can be wrapped around the cells to secure. This is not an aerobatic design so I don't think I need to worry to much about strapping the battery down excessively.

s1330003.jpg

s1330004.jpg

The making of a pilot is now getting pretty close so I knocked up a quick set of templates that can be cut out from a series of soft balsa laminates and then glue together. Hopefully will get stuck into this over the next few days. It might look a bit odd at the moment but hopefully should look ok when finished.

s1330005.jpg

more soon. Linds

So it was time to make a pilot this evening. Out with some 6mm soft balsa and cut out a series of templates mark out and cut a series of parts that can be laminated and then glued together. To start with we have 5 laminates for the body. 3 laminates for each leg 1 of which is slightly longer and two laminates for each arm.

s1340003.jpg

The separate parts were all glued up individually and then given a sand to round of edges and add a little detail such as shoes, trouser ends elbow and knee joints extra plus a little shaping to the body and chest area

s1340004.jpg

Now time to glue the bits together

s1340008.jpg

Once dry I did a little more sanding and changed one of the arms at the elbow to bring the arm around in front of the chest so he can have a control stick. The head was added by use of a ping pong ball and dowel glued in place with rc modellers glue. Next job was a bit of filler and then a coat of acrylic resin that helps bond and seal everything plus a quick check that he actually fits were he should.

s1340012.jpg

Once dry it was time to start adding a bit more detail, Firstly a flat cap and the nose area on the face. I did this with some balsa strips glued in place and then build up with a resin filler. This is easiest done a little at a time so the photo below shows the first stage, each time will be sanded, coated with acrylic resin before the next layer so I build up the surface details, its a bit of a lengthy process but seems to work for me. I have yet to decide if I will carve all the detail or make up some clothing, mood and time will probably dictate but so far has been a little fun and unusual project within the build.

s1350001.jpg

More soon. Linds

Out flying yesterday but got some more time on the pilot this afternoon with a bit more sanding and filler and then the first base coats of paint. Anyone remember Morph well meet his cousin Mort.s1360001.jpg

s1360002.jpg

s1360003.jpg

He also looks a bit like he has stepped out of a Lowry painting. A bit more painting to be done and of course the obligatory scarf. More soon. Linds