Flycatcher

Looking more like Cleggy all the time now. Have added a control column and elevator bar as well to keep it all a bit vintage will add a dummy rudder bar below the feet later but for now I recon short of the scarf he's done.

s1370002.jpg

s1370003.jpg

Next job is complete the tail linkages, the aileron servo's and a few more cosmetic touches but the maiden is probably not to far away. More soon Linds.

A bit of time this evening has seen the rudder and elevator control rods made up and fitted. These are basically your traditional pushrods made from 6mm dowel and 2mm threaded rods both ends at one end and a z bend at the other to allow for some adjustment. The wires need just a slight bend towards the bellcranks due to the angle change in the fuselage but then run pretty flat to the fuselage side.

s1380001.jpg

The only issue is that the control rods being external have no support along there length so would be prone to bow so to cure this a couple of wire hoops bent from 2mm wire and glued into holes drilled in the outer structure help keep everything in line and minimize bow and slop in the linkage. The alternative of course would be snakes but I like the timber finish.

s1380002.jpg

s1390001.jpg

Next job is to sort the aileron servos and linkages. More soon Linds

Many thanks Nev. I think its all the angled bits that makes it look so complicated but like most things the trick is just one step at a time. I started writing up some build notes a few weeks back during the more complicated bits really just to keep track of the sequence and of course as always during a build you figure if you had done that bit first life would have been easier but I'm pretty pleased with how she has come together. I got the aileron servos into the wing last night so will update the blog further this weekend. Its getting very close now to committing aviation I think. Also thinking of changing the name to 'Flycatcher' - I'm thinking this is what the the pilot might well be prone too during the hot summer jaunts. Linds

Bit more of an update, Hitec HS85MG servo's used for the ailerons and mounted directly onto 2mm ply plates with the output arm passing through a slot. The plates are screw fixed onto ply plates glued onto the inside faces or the ribs to secure. Photo shows just two screws but will have four of course before flying. Connection will be 2mm threaded rod with z bend and clevice.

s1400037.jpg

Decided to finish the battery bay and pilot fixing next and came across a little snag. I intend to use a 3cell lipo pack and made all my measurements based on one make of pack. Now since then I have bought a couple more of a new make and typically they are slightly deeper so I have had to make a small adjustment to the fuselage depth to get the batteries to fit beneath the pilot. This was done by simply adding a 6mm thickness to the front .

To start with however a 2mm balsa plate was glued onto the pilot, this will allow the pilot to simply slide into a channel made up on the fuselage so that it simply slides into place from the front. I think in this case photos will explain better than words.

s1400031.jpg

The channel is made using a balsa section cut to the height required to clear the batteries with a 12mm wide 1mm ply plate fixed on top that sits within the gap between the forward strut and ply sides.

s1400032.jpg

Hook and loop straps used to secure the lipo cell.

s1400033.jpg

With the channel created the base of the pilot can now simply slide into place

s1400034.jpg

It actually turns out that the extra height required has the advantage of allowing some additional airflow to pass through from the front gap and out through the back so all is good now

s1400035.jpg

I guess its the wheel skid rail and tail skid next . More soon Linds

Well after playing about various ideas for the tail skid, none of which really working well I went back to simplicity and simply add a couple of ply doublers and made a simple plug in 2mm piano wire skid. I may come back to this later but it will do for now.

s1410011.jpg

Also completed the radio installation with the speed controller sitting under he wing behind the motor, I added a couple of cooling air slots in the base of the structure which I had meant to do earlier. The receiver is mounted on the front face of the main former inside the cockpit area and all the leads tidied away as neatly as possible. Next came a quick set up on the radio to check all works. Crikey she has some power with the NTM30-35 via a 50amp esc and 10x6 Parkzone Trojan prop. I'll do a full watts power check when I have a bit more time just to check the loading. Also did a check on the CG position with the 3 cell 2200mah Lipo and she is just forward of my estimated optimum position so that is a result. I have also made up some graphics so short of a few little scale type details DF2 or as she is now known 'Flycatcher' is ready for her maiden flight.

s1410013.jpg

s1410016.jpg

s1410018.jpg

More when she fly's (if she fly's) I guess plus some video hopefully. Linds

Just a couple of added touches to prevent Mort the pilot from having a bad day with the addition of the skid to the undercarriage. Made up from a couple of lengths of 6x10mm spruce steamed and bent to shape and then mounted on a couple of wire frames. An axel bar between the main U/C passes through the skid and a forward V wire fixed with saddle clamps to the skid and forward U/C mounting plate. I will trim back the wire later when I get a chance.

s1420011.jpg

s1420012.jpg

Batteries charged and waiting for a break in the weather. Maiden soon. Linds

Well early down the patch this morning taking advantage of the weather although the grass was still very wet.

Some static shots first outside of the workshop

s1430001.jpg

s1430002.jpg

s1430003.jpg

s1430004.jpg

Ok no excuses, the motor fitted is pulling about 210 watts and the model about 2.5lb so I figured should be ok.

so here is the maiden flight.

Ok initial reaction is that she has more drag than expected so more power is required than the 210 watts and 250 to 300 would be much safer so will investigate a change in prop or even motor. I had 3 degrees of down thrust in and this can be reduced by half as I needed a little up on elevator trim to compensate other wise very happy. Will post again after some changes and get some in flight pics. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 11/10/2014 15:40:49

Cheers Danny, very cartoon scale like but not much reserve. My options are to go for a three blade prop or up the kv with another motor as 10.5" diameter is the max. Result of a few tests and I think a 1400kv is the way to go so order just placed and will fit new motor during the week when it arrives. See you tomorrow at Ashborne? Linds