Flycatcher

Many thanks guys, take off run was a bit long, the wet grass did not help but she was tracking true and I was progressively adding up elevator so she did not suddenly leap into the air, particularly with the power being a little on the low side.

Mods - perhaps we can change the thread title to DF2 Flycatcher

Linds

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of mods including a change of motor to a 1250kv has brought the power up to 320watts on an APCE 10x3.8 prop so should now give a good bit more power. Since I have been waiting for some descent weather for another test flight I have made a couple of other additions. The first being a balsa air scoop that sits over the top of the motor and ensures cool air passes over the top area for added forced air cooling. This is just made up of 3mm balsa and glued to the top surface of the wing across the centre area cut away.

s1460012.jpg

s1460011.jpg

s1460010.jpg

I also made some little details to the front dummy fuel tank with the addition of some leather retaining straps and a dummy fuel cap made from a domed wire end fitting.

s1460009.jpg

More details vid and pics following the next test flight but hopefully she is just about done. Linds

Hi Graham, I think the long take off was primarily down to a lack of power, although I have reduced the down thrust on the motor from 3 degrees to 11/2 which may have also been contributing. The truth is of course without the use of a wind tunnel and modelling the surface areas and drag coefficients we will never know for sure its effect but from a pilot feel perspective it did not seem to be creating any strange pitch effect and indeed once airborne, suffice for the need for a little up elevator trim at full power, hence the reduction in thrust line, she was remarkably stable and steady. The next flight with improved power should conclude the basics I hope and I can start to experiment the flight envelope although inverted passes might look a little odd. Linds

Hi Graham, as with all things it's never as simple and a factor of multiple issues not least of which wing section, incidence, model weight, centre of gravity, air speed, lift coefficient and factors of drag all contributing so without mathematically modelling and for that matter hiring someone like BEB to work it all out for me, and yes he would probably enjoy that, it's often following some basic rules and post flight trimming to fine tune. many years of flying F3A no doubt assisted me in fine tuning a models performance. With something like Flycatcher I think gut instinct in fine tuning is probably the safest way as she already fly's pretty well and I just want to dial out minor issues so we have a stable base point that can be defined on the plan. If you watch the video you can see on the slow pass the model has more up elevator held in than we would expect, and when the power was opened up more was required to climb away indicating a down force excess from the motor. The first flight also was with quite a forward cg for safe performance and this can be tweaked a bit too now. Will hopefully get some more flight in soon and close off the design process. Linds

• 1 month later...

Well finally got out to test the updated motor and glad to say complete success, much more power and safer operation, removed a degree of down thrust completed the package. I was using a 2200 3cell so have lost a little duration but there is space for a larger pack, probably up to 3000mah so should not be an issue. Only problem was that I forgot to take my camera so no pics or vid yet but will get this next time. So I'll now get cracking on the plan and write up and see if the Ed is interested. Linds

• 4 months later...

flycatcher photoshoot.jpg

All mag photos now completed on Flycatcher. All shot on a pretty gusty day when most sensible people would have stayed grounded but having waited literally months before I could get together with Alex on the same day and the light being good we decided to go for it anyway. Flycatcher proved to handle the 25-30mph winds with surprising ease, perhaps the benefit of very little side area played a bonus. I promise to get some more photos and video posted soon but nice to get the project finally completed. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 12/05/2015 23:57:42

• 2 weeks later...

During last weekend at Greenacres we noticed a little crack in the lower fuz longeron, not sure if this occurred in transit or otherwise anyway a small gusset adds a huge amount of strength just in case as an addition to the future plan and any prospective builders. Thanks Tim for spotting it Linds

s1940009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That really does fly a treat, congratulations on another successful design Lindsay and also Chris on the excellent video. It really captures the very early vintage look and the resemblance to the Demoiselle is definitely there.

It looks a lot faster than I expected, with a scale speed that seems like about 200 mph! I can imagine that Mort's eyes must have been really watering! I wish I had been able to get to Greenacres to see it, but it co-incided with my wife's birthday and I didn't dare to suggest it.

If you stick it on floats it might make a good facsimile of an early Schneider Trophy seaplane! Actually, it would make a very interesting seaplane for our mates who fly off water, a pair of the early boxy type floats with a small one at the rear would really look the part.

Playing it back on my IPad it sounds surprisingly loud. Is that an illusion or something to do with the characteristics of the open airframe design? Perhaps it sounds completely different to that in real life.

Hi Colin, funnily I was talking about how she might look with floats only this afternoon as a friend of mine has a large seaplane ready for test and we were thinking about other models to play with. The weather at Greenacres was so calm that slowing her down was not so easy, also I was flying her with the original wing which is 48" span which I replaced with a 54" version as the proportion just looked more balanced but the original proved to be almost as good flight wise and we used it for flying in a howling gale the week before and I had not swapped it over so she fly's just a little faster on the shorter wing and a tad more nose heavy as well. The noise is not quiet so bad as the video suggests but it is the result of my prop and motor combination in the pusher format. I guess moving to a 3 or even 4 blade prop might improve things but I'm quite happy with the result. The model has proved to be great fun to fly. Linds