Flycatcher

Cutting balsa strip to make traditional construction often entails cutting at angles other than 90 degrees. Some people cut oversize and sand to length. You could make an adjustable sanding guide like this

Adjustable Sanding Guide

It's really an adjustable version of the woodworkers shooting board, where the key point is the blade or abrasive does not touch the guide rebate, but only the work so the gadget does not get worn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see that this thread has sprung back to life, I might get suddenly enthusiastic and head back to the shed in the evenings to start sanding balsa again. Had to give it up when summer arrived as it got too hot in the tin shed with the doors shut to keep the bugs out.

Did the guys from the club ever sort out why their Flycatchers were so reluctant to take to the air?

It is clearly a draggy model with the pusher prop operating in turbulent, disturbed air. It looks great and has loads of character like all of Linds models, just make sure you have plenty of power. I would go for something in the region of 150W per lbs and if there isn't room to fit a big enough prop use a three bladed propeller.

It is coming together nicely Mark, following with interest. yes.

Gentlemen, I have been reading with interest your latest posts on Flycatcher and feel I need to pass on my own findings and experiences with this model.

I built mine soon after the initial article and free plan came out in Aug 2015. I built exactly as per the plan except I used hard balsa for the fuselage, built in dihedral, 25mm under one wing tip and upped the power to 700watts. Covered in tissue with 5 coats of dope, a 2650 mAh battery and 12gm servos, final weight was 45ozs.

The model proved extremely difficult to take off, ground looping after a short run. Upping the rudder expo and taking off on grass helped. Each flight saw a number of changes being made which gradually improved the handling. My changes included:- C of G moved back to 30% MAC and wing incidence increased by packing in 2mm under the leading edge. I also programmed in differential and rudder / aileron mixing. The model eventually flew reasonably well although rather fast for this type. Landings where only successful using power right to the ground. After 8 very challenging flights, me thinking all was going well at last, a turn onto crosswind saw a vicious tip stall followed by a spin into the ground. The model was totally destroyed.

If I where ever to build another Flycatcher I would certainly incorporate my previously mentioned changes, along with washout and the ability to move the battery further back so as not to need lead in the tail.

My Letter to the Editor was published some months back when I saw that the model was available as a parts and plan pack. Not to put anyone off but this is not an easy model to fly. Pity because it is so different and always gets attention at the field. Good luck with your build and I hope you have more success than I did.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there guys, I am new to this forum so please be patient with me! I am building a Flycatcher as a lockdown project, have completed the fuselage and am now constructing the wing. This is my first build from scratch project. Found the original RCM&E magazine at a swap meet last year, it still had the plan inside totally unmolested. Bought all the balsa (and some spareI) from Sarik, I guess I could have bought the complete wood kit but thought I would give it a go at cutting everything myself, after all I have had lots of free time this last few months! Would appreciate any advice regarding choice of motor, propeller, servos, control surface throw and flying techniques. I have read through this forum a good few times and appreciate a lot of this has already been discussed however I am always prepared to listen, Cheers Ben.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, MALCOLM JONES 4 said:

.......... Would appreciate any advice regarding choice of motor, propeller, servos, control surface throw and flying techniques. ........

Hi Ben, how's lock down going, plenty of time to sit around and watch the glue dry?

Nice to know that there is still another Flycatcher enthusiast out there trying to defy gravity as well.

I set mine up with a 3536 1250Kv motor turning a 10 x 4 prop. I used HK 15138 servos for rudder and elevator, bit of over kill but they look period so suit the model. I can't tell you what I used for aileron servos as their buried in the wing and I can't remember what I ordered. I do know that I had to try twice to get one that was slim enough to fit into the wing.

I did take a hint from this forum and built some dihedral into the wing.

As for flying it , beware it will bite!

Came the day to maiden her and I handed the Tx over to my son who being younger then me has faster reflexes and better eye sight. He also has a pilots licence so I always employ him as my test pilot for new models. (And I can cut him out of the will if he lawn darts it)

A check of all control surfaces, open the throttle and she was off, rose into the air and promptly flipped over on her back from a metre up and cartwheeled down the strip. It wasn't a pretty sight, Alvin the Aviator lost both arms and both legs.

The report from Air Crash Investigators said that probable cause was a aileron servo that had unglued its self.

So another tube of glue later and we're back for the second attempt. Off down the strip and rose gently into the air and........an U/C wheel fell off! (my fault, I didn't check the collet grub screw was tight) But she remained airborne which was very encouraging.

The Test Pilots Report ran along the lines of "this $%#@ thing is &*$# to fly, it doesn't want to respond to any inputs, its a battle just to do a circuit."

So after staggering around the sky for 5 min he brought it in for a one wheel landing, almost pulled it off but still ended up cartwheeling down the strip.

So after I re-find my enthusiasm and get another tube of glue I will rebuild her again and next time try changing the angle of wing incidence to see if that improves matters.

Cheers, Phil. 

• 9 months later...

Hi, can anyone let me have a copy of the original mag article ( RCME August 2015 I believe). I will cover any reasonable costs.

Have not had a chance to read all the posts about the build but it does seem as though its not a good flyer!!!!

I would welcome any conclusions from fellow modellers/flyers.

Bas

Hi Grumpy,I based that remark on the later posts , this page. Had a chance to look at the previous posts now, looks good.I bought a plan before seeing all the posts, I like this type of model, its looks attract me. Perhaps the early planes/flyers of  attract me  becuase I am  a returnee that still has a lot to learn, including passing my 'Test'. I love building, did the Dawn flyer, not flown due to various , out of my control. The videos posted by Lindsay look really good. I look forward to building it. I would like however like to read and digest the oiginal article, so as previously ststed would like to get a copy/file( Got the plan)

Bas

Flycatcher was built and designed some years ago now, the original is still around and although not flown recently is still in its original condition and never been crashed however this is not a beginners model and will keep you on your toes if the trim is out so please set the cg carefully and be mindful that this may by high wing vintage in style but has a very high drag coefficient very little side area and small fin and pusher configuration so there are characteristics that will allow things to get out of hand quickly if provoked. Smooth inputs and some coordinated aileron and rudder are the way to go and keep turns reasonably flat, no yank and bank unless you have suicidal tendencies. On take off the high centre of mass , pusher configuration and undercarriage position means ground looping can be an issue and needs to be contolled by practice and coordinated input of rudder, throttle and elevator. Ensure you have flying speed before lifting off else the drag build up will bite, you have no control when an aircraft is stalled. This particular model was all about character and look, its not a trainer so please bear that in mind if you consider building. Lindsay 

• 8 months later...

I've just built one from the old RCME magazine plans. I modified it as per forum advice, adding dihedral and washout.

Flies on 2200 4s. 10x6 pusher, 3536 1000kv brushless motor.

A noisy, draggy plane that is fun to fly if you're an experienced flyer but difficult to land, it needs a lot of throttle juggling.

I have a video of it flying.