Single-channel meets computer radio

They say that the new computer radios can do anything you can dream of.

Well, I found that my FrSky Taranis could be programmed to do single-channel, be it just emulation with servo or actual escapement or magnetic actuator pulse proportional.

It can emulate push-button operation of an existing proportional model via the trainer switch, while maintaining the proportional operation via the stick, should the need arise. Without any additionnal equipment the model can be flown as usual or bang-bang mode (one press for right, two presses for left), all by merely programming the transmitter.

With the addition of an RC switch (as designed in the UK by Phil Green, or other RC switches as long as they respond fast enough - many commercial switches are heavily filtered and are too slow -), models equipped with a rubber escapement can be operated either via the trainer switch or by the aileron stick acting as a Beep Box, generating the pulses as required.

Think of it as the digital receiver plus the RC switch being a modern reliable replacement for the original 27 MHz relayless receiver.

If a suitable switcher is added to our relayless receiver replacement, then proportional pulse operation of a magnetic actuator equiped model is possible and has actually been successfully flown.

The limit to single-channel emulation by the Taranis appears to be true Galloping Ghost, proportional pulse rate change having not been found possible.

I have flown a Dave Platt Halftone and a Stu Richmond Buzz Bomb with rudder servo, a DeBolt mini-Champ with Elmic escapement and an Owen Kampen Whizard with Adams actuator, all controlled by the same Taranis transmitter.

Other transmitters using the OpenTx firmware can be programmed to accomplish the same thing, for example the FlySky 9x.

Details of the programming will be found on this forum in the "Radio Gear/FrSky" section.

Single-channel rules!

Posted by John F on 08/08/2014 15:24:08:

I am sure it is ingenious and takes a lot of time and effort but it's a bit like using the Space Shuttle to light a BBQ.

Why would you want to go back to single channel? Or am I not seeing the golden age of RC?

Maybe because when we used to fly single channel it was a constant fight against the technology of the time and it's nice to go back and revisit the challenges of our youth with reliable gear.

I think it's called nostalgia.

And what's wrong with lighting the barbie with a solid fuel rocket motor anyway? Much more fun than using a match

The question was valid IMO; why go backwards with the most advanced bit of RC kit you can get your hands on? Then I asked a self deprecating question to put myself on the spot.

I suppose a rocket motor to light a BBQ would be cool.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/08/2014 09:58:11

In fact, the advent of OpenTx and FrSky has brought back the same type of fun as when I built my first radio back in 1963. It is all in the challenge and thinking out of the box, plus truly finding out what these old models and their various means of moving the rudder can do with a reliable radio link, as well as exploring the seemingly endless features of these amazing new radios.

PS. I did title an earlier paper on single-channel emulation "A giant step backwards" face 22