The Atom Special

Richard Harris

The Mast is made from 6 x 12.5mm (13mm) spruce, no reason why other hard woods cant be used here as well. Using the template, it is cut with an angle on the bottom and a cut out (to accept the head) at the top.

img_4616.jpg

To thicken up the mast at the top so that it fits nicely into the HK head it has two 0.8mm FG plates, again thin ply will be fine here.

img_4584.jpg

Using the head as a guide two 2mm holes are drilled straight through the mast, the mast is secured through this with two M2 bolts (these are supplied with the head).

img_4588.jpg

That is the mast completed, it is then fitted into the top of the fuselage with just a dab of glue to secure in case it ever has to be removed  wink 2

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 26/08/2014 12:00:10

Hi chaps. Wasn't so much the cost of the postage, more to be careful on the hobbyking website with the tick boxes, as the one that is auto filled is the most expensive and I know a few chaps down the patch have been caught out ordering stuff the first time they have been on it. Good to know the heads are available elsewhere too, it looks a cracking model, and it would be a shame if people could not build it due to parts drying up. To get back on topic though, my back ground is building fixed wing aircraft, and not this spinney thing on top stuff - so am I being unrealistic in thinking I can make the blades for this?

Many thanks, Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 26/08/2014 14:02:59

Just come across this post. Excellent. I'm a fixed wing guy but when our chairman arrived at the flying site the other day with a gyro copter my interest was piqued. I don't know which 'breed' it is but he had made it himself from scratch; head and all! He was having problems getting it to take off (kept rolling left) but he persevered and had it flying. Most impressive and it looked great fun.

So to that end I think I'll build this one. It will also be my first scratch build. I'll look out for the plans in the special edition. Thanks.

Evening all, Well here goes my Atom build too. ..wink

Some initial basic pics of the parts and the start of the body build. Sticking to the plan with some small mods to the servo bearers and some hollowing out of the 6mm balsa on the mast formers to allow easy routing of the servo wires and easy of servo changing should I have a problem whilst flying...

sam_2266.jpg

sam_2267.jpg

sam_2269.jpg

sam_2270.jpg

sam_2271.jpg

MG90 servos all round..

Steve

Steve,

You don't hang around! I like your idea of the cut outs for the servo leads 'why didn't I think of that' was my instant thought embarrassed. I am sure the Atom will evolve as builders add their own ideas, this is the great thing about a forum, we all learn off each otherthumbs up

OK, on to the rudder linkage.

Each rudder is hinged first, I have used small strips of Mylar hinge material cut to a width of about 5mm. Each rudder has its own inside horn, these can be made from GF sheet / plywood. To keep the connecting wire parallel they have to be positioned correctly which is a simple task. Slide the boom close to one of the fins and mark the centre and height of the outer hole on the home brewed bell-crank.

img_4617.jpg

img_4618.jpg

The small horns can be inset into the rudders and glued so their hole is on centre.

img_4620.jpg

Left hand and right hand

img_4619.jpg

These are then refitted into position with two pieces of scrap balsa being clamped up to each fin/rudder to set them straight.

img_4621.jpg

I am using 18swg wire for the connecting rod, one end is bent at 90 degrees to a length of around 10mm ,a metal push rod connector is slipped on behind.

img_4623.jpg

Measuring very carefully between the hole centres of the two rudder horn holes the other end is bent at 90 degrees. You could at this stage add a 'Z' bend to give a bit of adjustment here.

Each end is slipped into the horns which should end up looking like this. When the final assembly is done each end will be captivated with a small plastic tube super glued on, the small tubes that come tapped to the side of a WD40 can are perfect fr this.

img_4624.jpg

Then the clamped wood is removed and the linkage is checked from above

img_4625.jpg

The geometry is not perfect but it works fine.

Fibre glass triangle next and the head assembly......

Thanks Rich, quick build is a funtion of such a simple and clever design...

Latest progress......

Some additional sheeting added to the bottom of the main body for shaping, strip added before the bottom piece to save a bit of weight - every little helpswink

sam_2272.jpg

Read booms made up and brace near the body added, booms removable but I added a curve in the rear edge of the brace to match the curves on the bodycheeky

sam_2273.jpg

Think I will add and addition 0.8mm ply plate on the underside as I keep splitting the brace on removal from the body.

sam_2274.jpg

Top of the body rough sanded and the canopy is a good clean fit thanks to a ..."very nice man smileyyessmiley"

sam_2275.jpg

Oh, and the cowl....

sam_2276.jpg

Underside of the body rough sanded

sam_2277.jpg

On to the mast and as Rich suggested the mast need thickening to match the HK head. As you hopefully can see I used 0.8mm glass fibre platesyes. I wont be using the standard flexiplate but change for a 0.8mm triangular one.

sam_2278.jpg

At the rear the rudder mechanism, the plan under fin was a little long so rather than cut off I used to capture the lower collet

sam_2279.jpg

So, there we have it, oh yes the cockpit floor is completed and tacked in place for sanding.

sam_2280.jpg

Next job is the tail and rudders......... and the start of the bladescheekycheeky

Steve

Yes Chris, with those colours it should be easy to spot. I like the addition of the pieces on the side of the boom to blend with the body.

A little more progress today...

Taking on board the comments from Rich on the effectiveness of the twin rudder not being as strong as expected I have decided to slightly modify the tail. I notice the rudders hinge line is not in line with the servo horn pivot centre and so the angular rotation of the servo control horn at the rear is not translated to the rudders - reducing throw. Therefore, I have moved back the hinge centre 8mm, to align and taken the opportunity to make the rudder profile larger. The pic below shows the old profile and my modified one and the new hinge line at the vertical - with the V markings

sam_2281.jpg

When installed and the link connected...... you can see all is now in line...

sam_2282.jpg

sam_2283.jpg

To fill the extra I have added a small piece of balsa to blend to the new hinge line. Control horns are 1.5mm grp plate.

sam_2284.jpg

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 28/08/2014 23:23:22

Sorry Rich Ignore my earlier post. I've just read David's one and will look forward to seeing it in the "Special". I shall have a look on HK site for the head (seems only to be available on the international site - unless someone out there knows any different)

Still riveted to the build blog but.... I occurred to me. Could this model be described as a beginners aircraft with respect to flying it? I found and looked at Richards Panther but noted that it would be suitable for intermediate +. Also when flying a gyrocopter is it similar to flying a fixed wing?

Yoda

Not sure until I have flown mine in a couple of weeks but sometimes smaller is not always easier - response and orientation. So far of all the 11 ones I have built the Whippit is in my opinion is the best for a first model.

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 29/08/2014 22:27:17

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 29/08/2014 22:27:48

G'.Day Yoda

I would doubt if this model would be suitable as a first attempt autogyro.......because of its size..and even larger models can be hard to follow at times...but as Steve tells us ...we wont know until its test flown .My suggestion as a good trainer would have to be the" Burky II" Its pretty big and easy to see...and fly's slow.

.I gave the sticks to an 85 years young member of my club and after I talked him through a couple of circuits he was flying the model as if he been flying it all his life.....and we could not get the smile from his face for days.

Happy Landings

Chris..

dscf0005-001.jpgdscf0004-001.jpgApart from the cowl..it's ready to go although I am not happy with the paint job. I have sprayed enamel over film before with out any probs but this time even after leaving it to dry for two days ..infortunately I have left finger marks .. may be the Hi viz paint ? I went with a simple "Z" in the rudder wire to try to keep the weight down in that part of the model . Please don't tell Rich that I installed the rudder/fin assembly upside down ...I'm sure he wont notice it.blush

Its ready to fly...but after looking in my lipo bag...looks as if I only have a couple of old dodgy looking ones of the correct size....so I may only get a couple of short flights.

Chris///dscf0002.jpg

Next update for the motor, head and pilot...

My motor arrived following an HK order - the spec Rich identified at the beginning of the thread. Some pieces of ply required to space to the correct distance for the cowl...

sam_2285.jpg

Quite a snug but neat fit , will probably cut some cooling holes...

sam_2286.jpg

Onto the head plate - 0.8mm. my usual method of marking the triangle with a set square, drilling the centre hole then reversing the drill and using as a jig pin while the wooden bearer is clamped. All that is required is to drill the blade mounting holes on the marked 120 deg lines by rotating the plate on the drill centre - all at the same radius..... After this the plate is cut to outer size.

sam_2302.jpg

And replaced on the stock HK head...

sam_2308.jpg

Onto the pilot and here is my attempt at carving as suggested, never done before and pleased with the simple but effective result .. He will be white I think - the STIG !!

sam_2307.jpg

Maybe a little instruments .....

sam_2309.jpg

Steve

Tomas,

Yes, the blades are reinforced I just haven't got that far in the build as yet. I see no reason why the Hobbyking blades won't work, though they have nt been tested on this particular model.

Here are a few snaps taken on the slope, I still can't believe just how well this model handles the wind considering it's size as it is rock solid and feels like a far larger autogyro. Maybe it is some thing too do with those twin rudders? Either way, I am having a blast with it smiley

img_4630.jpg

img_4632.jpg

img_4634.jpg

img_4637.jpg

Rich