The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Joe,

Nice job thumbs up, has it been built at the RC Hotel? Hope the maiden goes OK, it will be the second in the air so I will be keeping my fingers crossed....no pressure like crook

Moving back on to my build and as promised, the head plate fabrication.

0.8mm, 1/32" fibre glass sheet is needed for this but coolwind will also be able to supply the same part cnc cut.

The triangular template is cut out roughly and stuck to the sheet as shown below using spray mount glue.

img_4665.jpg

It is easily cut out roughly with a good pair of scissors.....

img_4666.jpg

Using a 2mm drill all the holes marked are drilled...

img_4667.jpg

Opening out the centre hole to about 9mm with the three outer holes being opened up to 3mm. It is best to test drill on a scrap peice of sheet first to make sure that an M3 bolt is a slop free fit before committing to the finished artical.

img_4668.jpg

The outer edge is filed/sanded down to the outer profile removing any sharp edges...

img_4669.jpg

Using meths or thinners, the paper template is peeled off....simple

img_4670.jpg

This is how the Hobby King head comes out of the packet.....

img_4671.jpg

The top rotating part needs to be removed and stripped down....

Aimg_4672.jpg

All the parts on the left of the above photo are not needed...

img_4673.jpg

Using the M4 spindle bolt as a locator the plastic bearing housings are slid on sandwichiong the fibre glass triangular plate....

img_4674.jpg

The three shortest M2 cap head bolts are then inserted through...

img_4675.jpg

Their nuts are screwed up in place tightly with a drop of loctite being added, the nuts are captivated in the plastic mount but they do tend to turn when being tightened. Using a terminal screw driver they can be held in place to stop them moving whilst tightening.

The nut M4 nut can be removed replacing it with the M4 nyloc nut, but screwing it on upside down. If you tighten it tight it will reck the bearings. Leaving around 0.5mm clearance between the nyloc nut and lower bearing will a little movement up and down in the assembly making it spin free....

img_4678.jpg

It is well worth checking a tightening up all over the M2 nuts and bolts, they do tend to come finger tight and WILL come loose in the air if not nipped up (don't ask me how I know! embarrassed)

img_4679.jpg

img_4680.jpg

The new head plate assembly is screwed back to the head and is ready to use.

Rich

Tomas,

It sounds as if your motor will be fine, though I would go with 3s using a 10x 5 prop. The Atom is pretty versatile regarding its power plant, the motor I have fitted now is pulling around 190 watts from a freshly charged 3 s. This has more than enough power plus more, in fact I pulled my first loops last Sunday with easesmile p

Rich

Thanks Guys ,

Should be a nice simple build for me this one ,

Just had a look in my bits box and there are plenty of motors that should suit .

I will also have a go at making my own blades for this one.

All i need to order now are some decent servos then its just a case of waiting for the plan .

So what do you think we should do in regards to a build log question.

All do are own separate build log

or all join in on one mass build ,

bare in mind some of us may have more time to spend on it than others .

Cheers Steve.

Steve,

The choice is up to you at the end of the day but the good thing if sticking to this thread is we can see what each other is doing. I am always impressed by others builds, bouncing new ideas and modifications off each other is a great way of improving our own building.

Yes, it is a very simple model but already I am seeing some great ideas from the 'beta' builders, there is always something to learn for all of us.

Of course the down side is that the thread may get a little cluttered.

On another note, No2 model is 3/4 covered. I also came across a green 7up plastic bottle and shrunk a new canopy which is more in fitting with the colour sheme plannned.

Rich

Hi ,

I have received my Head and gf parts from Coolwind nicely cut GF parts there is no way i could make them any where near as good , where would we be without CnC cut parts Ah .

and now assembled it with the wobble plate you was right about the bolts i needed five different size of allen keys to tighten them up . I also noted that the ball links where on wrong and so had to take them off and put back on the right way round to give me full side movement without fouling on the cross Barr.

in regards to the build log i will be sticking to you're plan as i know nothing about these flying whirling things .

Cheers Steve