Pushy cat finished at last!

mightypeesh

Hi Ladies and Gents. Finally finished my Pushy Cat just in time for the new mass build to start! All I need is to fit the cofg and Im good to go. I know that I always say it, but I truely am pleased with how this has turned out. Standard build, tissue and dope plus some airbrushing with Humbrol acrylics, finished with Halfords laquer and a few decals cut at work. The cats head design thing I lifted from the internet, so take no credit for that other than a bit of adjustment for my needs. The fuse I shortened to let the motor hang out in the breeze. I hope she flies as good as she looks! Maiden planned for next Saturday at the club barbq weather allowing. The other one I built is currently being painted by my mate Steve from the patch, so we should both be good to go next week.

img_9755.jpg

img_9754.jpg

img_9756.jpg

img_9752.jpg

img_9751.jpg

img_9746.jpg

img_9748.jpg

I will report back on the maiden next week,

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 14/09/2014 11:15:29

Very smart! Looks great. She does you proud.

Don't forget to fit the CoG though - they don't fly well without one. I do believe HK have them on offer, a mixed bag of CoG's just $5 - unfortunately they are only in the international warehouse so you'd have to wait. You could make your own, Danny Fenton has good designs for scale ones, and Chris Bott has some neat ideas for removable and interchangable ones if you want to be adventurous. I wouldn't recommend the PeteB ones though - only really suitable for gliders and then they only seem to work at very high altitudes wink 2

BEB

PS Seriously - good luck with the maiden!smile

Hi all, thanks for the positive feed back. I based the scheme on the Katana Mini, a plane I have loved since I first saw it on the Phoenix sim but never got around to getting. This is my first attempt at airbrushing effects as I have only used the airbrush for weathering and flat colours before. I am very pleased with the result. The masking tape i used was that 'Frog Tape' from B&Q cut down to size with a straight edge. It is expensive, but compared to Tamiya tape it is a bargain. Plus the big bonus - no blead! Here is the Katana Mini if you do not know it.

katana_mini (1).jpg

Thanks again, Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 14/09/2014 19:55:27

Hi ladies and gents. Had a great day today maidening the Pushy Cats - wow, what great planes these are!

img_9770.jpg

Before the first flights - Steve with the companion pc to mine. He was nervous because I had built them - and I was nervous because ....... eerm ......I had built them!

Did not need to worry though. Steve went first with the 'underarm lob' technique, and she flew beautifully from the off with the proverbial few clicks here and there to trim out, phew. I went next, but was in a chicken mood about the blender on the back, so had knocked up a take-off dolly from bits and pieces for the first flight. Mmmmm. That was a mistake. it worked up until she took off from it at which time the prop clipped a part of it with a puff off foam from the dolly and lost a tip from the prop. luckily, even with the prop on low revs and unbalanced she flew true and solid even at low speed in order to bring her around for a proper approach and landing. Quick prop change later and back to have a go at the lob launch method. No problems, she was away like a good'n, flying mostly on half throttle, mixed with some high speed low passes, and a few rolls and loops mixed in for luck. She has gone straight to the top of the favorite flyer list, and after a number of loose formation flights with Steve's cat, and lots off admiring comments we have both gone home very happy indeed.

Thanks for the tips on the CofG BEB. We opted to fit the standard ones from HobbyKing, they were cheap, but was touch and go as to whether they would turn up in time for todays flight, and only got them fitted this morning. luckily easy to install as long as you follow the instructions.

Oh, and did you know the also double up as guitars? Status Quo eat your hearts out - Pushy Cat Dolls anyone?

img_9769.jpg

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 20/09/2014 19:37:51

Edited By mightypeesh on 20/09/2014 19:42:25

Edited By mightypeesh on 20/09/2014 19:44:02

Very nice models lads, and after watching Ken's under arm lob and flight video on another thread, thought I can build it and fly this one. The £10 wood idea fitted well into my budget, until I saw price of plan minus the p/p.! ! Can anyone tell me the wing loading of this model  please?  Thanks FB3

Edited By fly boy3 on 20/09/2014 20:34:33

Posted by fly boy3 on 20/09/2014 23:02:27:

I don't give it much hope though, 2005 is a long way away LoL. Thanks

I'm sure when several people were building these less than a year ago that Traplet still had the back issue available - at least I didn't see any complaints posted that they'd run out, so I think you should be ok.