Any recommendations...fiction

john stones 1 - Moderator

I started with Agatha Christy. Picked one up at Leeds station when I worked there for a while in my teens, to pass the time on the train. Worked my way through all them, then Sherlock, then whatever WW1 and 2 aviation fiction I could find, then anything really.

As a lad people used to give me books as presents, as they did then, never read any at the time but did enjoy going back to some of the classic boys stuff. Three Musketeers. Ivanhoe. etc. parents never through any away. I dip in and out of books, if time allows nowadays. I don’t get the chance to get through one a day anymore.

I find the printed page easier to read, I print out documents etc. at work rather than try reading a page of text on the PC. Have been thinking about a Kindle though but never really seen one. Did you get a one John or are you using a tablet.

Nev.

The Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr. Detective novels set in Germany between 1936 and 1950.

The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell. One book has recently been dramatised by the Beeb. Also the Grail series by the same author makes entertaining reading.

The Martian by Andy Weir

My lad bought me a Fire tablet Nev, I dropped enough hints about a Kindle but got over ruled wink I still prefer books though, but a least I have a video camera now

John

Read most of Cornwells BP yes

Edited By john stones 1 on 04/03/2016 15:17:27

Spelt his name wrong, been reading Wolf Hall smiley

Edited By john stones 1 on 04/03/2016 15:23:07

Where to start - laugh out loud has to be Tom Sharpe (especially the Wilt books) and Terry Pratchett, start with The Colour of Magic.

Then SciFi, Ian M Banks, particularly Look to Windward and The Algebraist, also the Culture series - the man paints pictures with words that will stay with you forever. Don't forget: Bradbury, Asimov, Dick (Phillip K), Clarke and the rest of the Gang writing their best stuff in the 50s and 60s.

Then John Le Carre & Len Deighton, cordon bleu British writing. Page turners have to start with Gerald Seymour then Linda La Plante, David Baldacci, James Lee Burke, Patrick O'Brien, CS Forrester, Michael Dobbs - and if you've got a spare year, the lifetime output of Gerald Cornwell!

And finally as a dessert - "The Master" - PG Wodehouse (always one of his open on my Kindle to dip in and out of, just to savour his command of language). It's like looking at a perfect scale model Dragon Rapide or watching someone fly a perfect rolling circle - you can admire it just for it's own sake.

The Kindle generally gives a much better print quality than a tablet, and the paperwhite one is backlit, great if you wake up during the night and want to read for a bit without waking she who must get her beauty sleep. Battery life is far far better.

Ed McBain for crime books. 87th Precinct series very good and usually have a twist in the tail where the criminals don't always win. Some characters come in and out of the series. First one is Cop Hater. not sure exactly how many in the series but over twenty. Also does other crime series and also writes under his real name of Evan Hunter. Books are not common in the shops since he died a few years ago but are readily available on Kindles etc.

John

Edited By John Tee on 04/03/2016 20:45:16

Posted by Andy48 on 04/03/2016 20:13:34:

The Kindle generally gives a much better print quality than a tablet, and the paperwhite one is backlit, great if you wake up during the night and want to read for a bit without waking she who must get her beauty sleep. Battery life is far far better.

In our case that's likely to be t'other way round . I never read in bed because I can never get comfortable. A bit odd really because when I was a child the usual punishment for being a naughty boy was to forbid reading in bed. When I was at school I was a voracious reader and was always being told to go outside when all I wanted to do was read. I actually read less now and not as widely. I think it's partly because I feel guilty 'wasting' my time.

Geoff

If you'd like to try something a bit different and outside of the "blockbuster-thriller" tradition, then for a claissic detective story with an excellent intricate plot, how about dipping into the Lord Peter Wimsey novels by Dorothy L Sayers. Pure escapism to another age - note though different from historical fiction because they were more or less contemporary when they were written. An insight into the values of another age, not that long ago but sometimes starling different!

For a starter, or the general reader, I would recommend "The Nine Taylors" very atmospheric and a great story. Also "Have His Carcass" is a another good plot of her's.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/03/2016 23:38:46

Somebody mentioned Nevil Shute. His last book The Trustee from the Toolroom is interesting as the character is said to be based on Edgar Westbury of Model Engineer and model engine design fame.

It's not fiction but the book about Roy Fedden - designer of aircraft engines for Bristol etc. - is worth reading.

Dale Brown, great books and lots of flying in them as well. He also co-wrote many books with Jim DeFelice and they are also well worth a read.

Also just finished a great read entitled "The man who broke in Auschwitz" by Denis Avey. Although non-fiction it really is a great read about the life a foot soldier in the Rifle Brigade in the desert and then being captured and ending up in a camp next to Auschwitz and how he hatched a plan to spend a night in the concentration camp.

Just started the autobiography of Steve Fossett.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been rereading my Colin Forbes collection. Avalanche Express, Double Jeopardy and Terminal. His earlier war time books are great too, The Palermo Ambush and The Heights of Zervos are favourites

Another really great author is Desmond Bagley. Try Running Blind, High Citadel, to name but two.

I also like Dick Francic's Blood Sport but not his others

They should be available cheaply on EBay

Please consider JO NESBO - Scandi Noir fiction, superb translation, read one of his books and you're hooked. Have to say the same thing about MICK HERRON, the Slow Horses series are brilliant, has a way of leading you in from page 1 that has you hooked within minutes. The only caveat regarding Mr Herron's books, do start with Slow Horses and follow the series in chronological order to get the best out of them - he's also done a few novellas, 100 pages or so, best way to deal with these is on Kindle [ couldn't live without my Paperwhite ].

If you've a strong stomach - DON WINSLOW - all you've never wanted to learn about the Colombian/Mexican/USA drug trade, again real page turners.

Also I keep on picking up paperbacks from our younger years too that are really worth reading again - 50p or a quid on the Sainsburys charity bookcase by the checkout - John le Carre, Kingsley Amis & Co.. So many books (and Planes!), and so little time. One way of putting planes and books together, Audible, or local library downloads - download onto your favourite weapon, Tablet, Mobile Phone, Laptop etc and play through a halfway decent speaker while you're building or maintaining (i.e. repairing crash damage!).

A definate yes to Jo Nesbo. His first "The Bat" is not his best but still not a bad place to start. I have now read some 5/6 of his. They are dead easy to spot in charity shops as Nesco is big and bold on the spines.

I do try and read most authors in chronlogical order. I find this to be a good thing in general.

I was given a copy of Jeffery Deavers "The Bodies Left Behind" and was very impressed, even more so when I found someone selling 29 Deavers at an irrisistable price and suddenly I now have a very big pile of reading to get through. This includes most of the excellent and very readable "Falco" series by Lindsey Davies - you may remember hearing the much esteemed Radio 4 series. All set in the reign of Emperor Vespasian.

Still reading the excellent, recommended here, "Sub Rosa" series also set in Roman times, this time by Steven Saylor .

Also recommended here the Pratchett "Discworld" series are great reads.

I have just finished the last in Patrick O'brien seafaring tales which could be decribed as Hornblower for the thinking man!! Recommended.