Laser 180 Petrol

Jon H

The Old Warden fly in a few weeks back was the first public outing for the Laser 180 petrol prototype and it seemed to generate considerable interest on the flight line.

The engine looked very much like a prototype but its running qualities scored big thumbs up from all round being very smooth and consistent. Noise was also well under control.

I will get a picture up after I have done trawling through my memory card, but in the meantime who wants one?

thumbs up Yes please.

They must have had a rethink, about a year ago I needed a new idle needle for my old laser 75 so called them up, I had a chat with them about petrols then and they advised that they didn't have any plans to offer a petrol version as they felt the glow versions ran better than any conversions they had seen.

All the details I have so far are:

29cc capacity

Bronze bush big end

40:1 fuel mix

prototype running on walbro/tillotson carb but more development is to come as its not suitable for a model.

Fuel consumption approx. 12cc/minute when flying normally with 17x8 prop.

Props in the 17-22inch range

I have no details of running time (hours) but the engine has been run like this for over a year of testing without any mechanical distress.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 10/10/2014 13:11:38:

I'm sure 4 stroke petrols will be a developing market as 2 strokes are such a pain when it comes to noise levels, much as 4 strokes are often the preferred engine type for methanol fuels now.

I have a saito fg 21 and it definatly produces less noise than the saito 125 it replaced

I have seen plenty of examples of four stroke glows converted to petrol. This could be a good solution if

1. You dont have a ready supply of glow fuel to purchase near you
  2. You have other issues with noise at the club.

The NGH 38 petrol four stroke looks a good idea. Though not Laser pedigree.

CH ignitions

Edited By cymaz on 11/10/2014 09:06:50

Just for your enjoyment I have a small video of the engine ground running. I was testing the new ASPEN 50:1 alkylate petrol. It has many advantages over standard pump petrol including not rotting carb gaskets and fuel pipes, cleaner exhaust and most of all no smell. I did loose a small amount of top end rpm but nothing major.

**LINK**

I'm very interested. I need a petrol of about 30cc for my Spitfire and would prefer a 4 stroke. The NGH 38 is too long and I'm not convinced, the Saito's are just too expensive. A competitively priced Laser, IMHO, would capture the market.

Jon, when do you see it been ready for sale?

regards

Chris

Posted by Reno Racer on 12/10/2014 08:21:40:

I'm very interested. I need a petrol of about 30cc for my Spitfire and would prefer a 4 stroke. The NGH 38 is too long and I'm not convinced, the Saito's are just too expensive. A competitively priced Laser, IMHO, would capture the market.

Jon, when do you see it been ready for sale?

regards

Chris

Reno, how about one of these?

Cymaz,

very nice, but might a stretch to get without SWMBO attention. I have looked at the Roto 25 2 stroke petrol. I' m finding it difficult to find an engine for my Seagull 80' Spitfire, less the recommended OS 22 GT. The firewall to prop driver is between 145 and 150mm, hence my previous question about these dimensions on your Evo 33.

Already selling my Raptor 30 and H9 Denight Special ( see my post on ebay adds by forum members) to help find this build.

Percy is quite right about the Aspen fuel, most chainsaw/garden mech places will carry it. At £19 for 5 litres it is clearly more expensive than petrol but as glow fuel (high nitro forms anyway) will be more than that, and the fact that the fuel keeps well, dosent need to be mixed and best of all wont stink the place out means that for me personally I think I would live with the cost.

If the smell of petrol etc is not an issue for you personally then normal pump fuel can be used. The purpose of this test is to make sure the engine works well on this fuel as it is extremely popular in Europe.

As for a release date I hope it will not be long but it depends on the carburettor. The current carb is not suitable for use in a model so there is some work going on to sort that out. the same is true of getting hold of CDI units. The other thing is the engine will not be released until 100% satisfaction with its performance has been achieved. there is no point releasing something before it is ready as some other manufacturers have done in the past as this turns the customer into a beta tester which is unacceptable.

Cautiously I would hope for first 1/4 of 2015 as the engine needs to be tested in the winter to see how it handles the cold and snow.

Well, I flew the engine again today with the new fuel but had problems with the engine cutting in the vertical due to bubbles in the fuel line. I think the clunk might have fallen off other than that there were no issues with the performance

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Jon Harper on 12/10/2014 10:44:22:

Cautiously I would hope for first 1/4 of 2015 as the engine needs to be tested in the winter to see how it handles the cold and snow.

I happen to know one person that might be a compenent official Laser destructer tester..including winter tests in cold and snow cheeky

Seriously, this is an interesting thread!

-Artto

Edited By Artto Ilmanen on 02/11/2014 10:46:40

Posted by Artto Ilmanen on 02/11/2014 10:45:23:

I happen to know one person that might be a compenent official Laser destructer tester..including winter tests in cold and snow cheeky

Seriously, this is an interesting thread!

-Artto

I know of another! wink

Edited By Artto Ilmanen on 02/11/2014 10:46:40

Edited By David Davis on 02/11/2014 11:16:32

I have no information on the noise of an FG36 so cant really compare it. Also at 29cc the 180 will not match the FG36 for performance.

The only thing I can say about the noise is that in flight it sounds no different to any other bigish 4 stroke apart from a noticeably soft note at low to medium throttle. When I get my act together I will get a flying video done