B24 Liberator - 1/12th scale PSS

Andy Meade

Honestly, I went to my local model shop yesterday for balsa sheet, you have more than they had. If It's not's foam in a box they are not interested anymore, I came away empty handed, no balsa, no wire for undercarriage, no wheel collets, no more custom from me, can I buy your left over stuff!

Hi Alex,

Welcome along! I was quite lucky at someone else's misfortune - I was looking on Gumtree one evening for a scroll saw, and a chap locally was selling one...and a lifelong stash of balsa due to a divorce! A deal was struck, and I bit his arm off. I've used about a quarter of it since, so I'm running a little low laugh

Steve,

I had a large off-cuts box...but that gets used too.  In fact I only used one virgin sheet of 3/32 for the tailplane - the rest came from the scrap box!

Edited By Andy Meade on 03/12/2014 14:29:40

Hi Phil,

Yes the board is pretty big, it's just full of rubbish. Odd really, as I just moved the workshop around to make things easier on my building - it only takes an hour for me to mess it all up again laugh

I use that little board with the cork glued-on for items where I have to pin through to keep to a template - ideal for the fin and tailplane.

• 3 weeks later...

So - lots of cutting, sanding, and fettling ends up with something like this on the board :

2014-12-17 12.54.01.jpg

Which after more cutting looks like this :

2014-12-18 22.13.36.jpg

2014-12-18 22.13.50.jpg

Tailset and all the formers outside of the crutch system just held in general position for now. I need to clean up a few of the formers, then I can start glueing some bits together. Wing templates not cut yet, nor are the tailplane braces, but that's the back of it broken for now.

Ever get one of those days where it feels like you couldn't have done any more on a build even if you tried your hardest? Today seems to have been one of those days for me. Every time I Thought about stopping, I couldn't - the urge to carry on and get more parts cut, sanded, glued and pinned took over. The only problem is I know I'll get it in the neck later when the good lady wife returns, and all my "honeydo's" haven't been done! Ah well, "Aviation is First Priority", as I always tell her. Then run.

Nose pretty much attached now, bomb-bay floor is in, some local reinforcement done, all cyano joints in the crutch assembly have been backed up with white glue.

img_1011.jpg

img_1013.jpg

Tailplane assy is on its back too - just waiting for some glue to dry there, then I will start on a first alignment run to get the tail end attached.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Not a great deal of progress so far, but fuselage sheeting has commenced, and then quickly stopped when I found I'd built a twist into the tail mounting. Sort of lost all momentum on all builds at the moment, as there are 4 on the bench, and I'm not keen on moving any of them on currently.

Will hopefully get my building mojo back later in the year.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my first large print from my new 3D printer - the ball turret :

2015-03-30 13.54.21.jpg

(ear plug not included!) Quite happy with that! Weighs 9g, took 7 hours to print (left it overnight) and seems really strong. Just a quick clean up with sandpaper, and she's ready for the .50 cals!

• 3 months later...