Phil's mass build blog

Phil Winks

Right were about ready for the of, as last year I intend to build two, in the fun fighter class the 30" spitfire from the Tony nijhuis dog fight double, a tad smaller than the standard for a fun fighter but still a grad build, and the Richard Harris Atom autogyro. The intention is to start in Jan what I'd like now is a mini vote from those who intend to follow me and build, you choose which one I'll start 1st. Please try and keep general chat to a min to start with and come the middle of December I'll go with the majority

Just to clarify the Tony Nijhuis 30" spit is this one here, I will, I think' be going with the recommended power setup from 4max , I'll detail the servo's and a wood list when the plan arrives

John thats a tad unfair mate cheeky although the DF is dragging its heals a touch, the Barnstormer, no simple build, was completed well in time, it was only a poorly van stopped me getting her to Greenacres

And the hardware setup for the Atom is as follows

Rotor head Here and here good luck geting one, though there are some home made options that I will discuss later

Glass fibre plate parts here

Glass fibre delta plate Here

Motor Here

Blade blanks Here there is a home made option which again I'll discuss later

ESC Here

Servos Here

The following material list is taken from Richard harris's list in the Atom special thread in the autogyro section

Materials list , some of these I would think 'Mr Average' balsa basher would have kicking around :

2 off sheets of 3.2 x 102 x 915mm medium grade balsa (fuselage sides/tailplane/fins and sheeting)

1 off sheet of 6.5 x 102 x 915mm medium grade balsa (fuselage base and some formers)

1 off sheet of 9.5 x 102 x 915mm soft balsa ( fuselage base and balsa infilling)

1 off strip 6.5 x 6.5 x 1220mm spruce (boom )

1 off strip 6.5 x 12.5 x 915mm spruce (mast)

1 off sheet of 3x 300 x 300mm birch ply (U'C mount/ servo mounts)

1 off sheet of 3 x 300 x 300mm Lite ply ( several formers)

1 off length of 3mm (10SWG) piano wire (U/C)

1 off length of 1.2mm (18 SWG) piano wire (rudder coupler)

10 X 7 APC prop

1550 mah 3 cell Lipo at least 25c Richards recomendation but I think I'll be using an 1800Mah 3s

50mm lite foam wheels (minimum)

6 off 3mm bore wheel collets (wheel retainers and bell crank retainer)

Covering

Pop bottles!!!!

Edited By Phil Winks on 17/11/2014 19:17:59

Posted by Chris Barlow 1 on 18/11/2014 20:20:13:

Maybe you should do a countdown timer to RCM&E Greenacres too, you know, just to keep track of the time remaining?

winklaugh

You read my mind Chris I plan to make it the first post in the sub threads I start for each individual model build my thinking is if its at the top of page one it'll be easy to find yes

Nice one John and Chris, looks like the fun fighter mass launch will be a site to behold, if not a tad stressfull to fly insurprise I can see I'm going to have to upgrade the merlin to a BMW fuel injected to catch that ME 109 in an inverted dive though devil Bandits at 6 O'Clock, good job we're flying at 10 then cheeky

• 2 weeks later...

Right the hard ware, servo's ESC and motor has arrived for both these builds, having checked my wood stock all I need is some 1/8" and a sheet of 3/16th and a couple of lengths of 2mm piano wire and everythings good to go, I'll be calling in the LHS in Exeter on Fri so we're definitely on target for a start over the Xmas hols, before then I'll be starting a separate build blog for each model with a comprehensive material and equipment list for each model, looking at the people commenting above I just may go for two parallel builds however the jury is still out on that one.

One issue with the TN spitfire plans, and possibly the ME 109 ones too, formers 11, 12 & 13 are listed in the "indicative parts layout" as being 6mm and are shown on the plan as 4.5 (3/16" ) and I'm going with that size though its not that important an issue, further for those looking at their wood stocks prior to building, if going brushless I would seriously consider making the nose ring and wing brace from 3mm ply as opposed to the 1.5 detailed on the plan, just because of the extra power you could be adding if like me your going for a 1400kv 45A motor, (266w with an 8x4 and a 3s LiPo) Watch that me 109 wallow in my prop wash LOLdevil

Edited By Phil Winks on 03/12/2014 20:52:30

Edited By Phil Winks on 03/12/2014 20:53:12

Posted by john stones 1 on 03/12/2014 21:06:32:

You just going with the low power version then Phil, I forsee the few being one less cheeky

John

You think John question I'm tempted to prop that motor up to its max 450W just for thatdevil, but maybe the spit wouldn't look good with that much torque frown and a 12" prop this could all end in crying