2015 Mass Build - Sign up thread

Martyn K

Time for the annual signup thread for the Mass build. We had 63 wannabee mass builders, it would be interesting to see who will be taking part, what you will be building and whether you will be able to bring it to Greenacres next year.

Personally, although neither of my preferred two models were selected, I quite fancy all the selected models this year so its a toughie.

I hope to build - at least:

A funfighter and a STOL

If I get those finished then I'll have a crack at the Piper Cub.

I plan to be at GA as well.

Martyn

Martin. Job well done.

My plan is to build:

Atom Special - which was on my list anyway.
Stol - Because this looks like a very interesting build and a great slow flyer
Piper Cub - Probably run in the background. I have a SIG Clipped Wing Cub kit and this will be a useful motivation.

This time I am going to try to finishing the first two in 2015. I need to be very busy on New Years Day.

Already ordered a head for the Atom from HK and the rotors are already here from AJ Blades so the Atom is definately on for me!

I also want to build something STOL but scale so a Cub with flaps and Tundra wheels is on the cards. I just need to either find a plan to modify or might go for a Great Planes or SIG kit and cut the wing ribs to suit. Either way I'm looking at around 1.8m span with plenty of power.

Then, if there's time (and money) left I'd like to have a go at a fun fighter Mozzie but this will be the lowest priority since if I build one it'll have to be scale and detailed and I wouldn't like to rush it!

So I'll be finishing projects in the shed over the next few weeks and clearing the bench ready to start on 1st January!

Martyn, have the definitive final selections been listed anywhere? Maybe they could be added to your initial post?

For me it will be a Galaxy Hawker Typhoon funfighter. I've just got to decide between fitting retracts and accepting the weight penalty or going for the simple hand launch option. I suspect retracts on this size model would be asking for trouble when flown from grass.

Hi Bob

Good point!

The final five selected were:

1. RCM&E Atom - featured in the 2014 Autumn Special and the woodpack is currently on Special Offer

2, Funfighters. I have spoken to Cambrian Models and they will support the Mass Build by Offering a 10% discount for Web Orders. You will need to quote rcbuild15 discount code when you place the order. Steve is stocking up - stocks are currently low but should be sufficient by December. Others may wish to build model from the TN range of similar sized models - feel free to do so.

3. Jocasta - The plan was free in a recent (October 2014) RCM&E but can be purchased online from MHS. You can also order a CNC parts kit while you are there.

4. Peter Russell STOL - Plan and parts available from MHS. The article for STOL mark 2 is online here on ModelFlying. and the changes of wing section etc are mentioned.

5. Piper Cub - the wildcard - any size- plan or kit - if you like the sound of this then MHS has a plan, cowl and windscreen available for a 'normal' sized model.

Good luck

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 20/11/2014 10:55:33

I'm in

Possibly a slightly different take on Funfighters: I'll be doing a T.N. DH Vampire, and intend to convert it to electric pusher

I may also try my hand at an Atom if time permits, as I think I was fortunate enough to secure a head when they (very briefly) came back into stock in HK a few days ago

Edited By IanN on 20/11/2014 11:36:24

Re Piper Cub. Does that link to MHS get the correct plan? It says the designer is J Drake but there is a later version drawn by Ben Buckle (sold by Radio Modeller not Ben's own firm) and there was some confusion over plan numbers at the time. I think Ben's version was based on Drake's but revised with a more scale cabin area and was a Super Cub. The Buckle Super Cub was in Radio Modeller Dec 1983 & continued  in Jan 1984 This had a new plan number shown in RM a month or two later.

In my old Plans Handbook RM 84 is a Cub with exposed engine and is from RM Oct 71. There was a discussion about this with MHS person a couple of years back and I thought they had cleared up the wrong plan number confusion it but it seems not as the link shows Drake as the designer. Someone should check this before you all buy the wrong plan!

Edited By kc on 20/11/2014 11:49:29

Posted by reg shaw on 20/11/2014 11:23:53:

I'm in and will do a Stol, enlarged to suit a magneto Laser 75 petrol, plus a 1/3 scale Piper Super Cub, motor undecided but will be either a DS54cc petrol four stroke or a good old Zenoah 62.

Ian.

I will watch with especial interest if you decide on the petrol four stroke.

I'm also in and will be building the Atom Special.

My C30 head in en-route from HK and I've already made the templates to cut the wood parts.

I think I'll order the blades in the first instance, that way I'll not be able blame them for my poor piloting!

Just need a sheet of 6mm balsa and I'm good to go...

If it flies well who knows I may even have a go at Greenacres this year!

GDB

I'm in!

I already bought all the bits for the Atom back in September but have hung back on building it once it became part of the Mass Build.

I've got a barely started Cambrian Mustang and a half done Micro Mold Spitfire F22/24 that need finishing too, so that's the funfighters sorted as well.

If I get them all done in time I could be tempted to come to Greenacres.