2015 Mass Build - Sign up thread

Martyn K

Yes I understand yes although some builders may prefer something bigger than a parkfly? That size suits my criteria for flaps and STOL capability.

Maybe there should be a reccomended size for the Cubs and Funfighters? The Cambrian funfighters are around 1/10 scale and the parkfly size Cubs are between 1m to 1,2m. The Stol is a set plan so generally size isn't an issue but some builders will always scale up as required!

Edited By Chris Barlow 1 on 21/11/2014 13:55:20

All Aviation Modeller Int plans are still available as they are now incorporated into Model Flyer's plan service - they have 750 plans or more- and Boddos Piper Cub is here ( of course they are the competition to RCME who are our hosts here but I think it's only fair to mention this availability )

The DB Sport & Scale Cub is bigger but seems a fair price for a largish model.

Edited By kc on 21/11/2014 15:02:29

I've decided I'd like to join in the fun, though as it's fun, I can totally guarantee not to be serious at all. face 23

As a total beginner, apart from lash ups when I was actually young (last millenium), I shall build a Piper Cub looking thing from insulation foam (and confess to having partly made a cub looking 1.3mtr span wing last year and never went ahead with the rest) The rest will be built during 2015, along with a Gentle Lady glider because I have wanted one for ages.

The Outerzone Jack Headly 52" Piper Cub plan seems good to me and being free, it fits my pocket too!!

The Jack Headley Piper Cub was an old Aeromodeller plan so is still available from MyHobbyStores plan No FSP 1357. There is a 'bootleg' copy on Outerzone as Chuck says. It is not very obvious but it's not really scale as it just has a solid balsa cockpit with no glazing. It's very simple and straightforward though. A very good first plan build.

I am doing the Cambrian Funfighter - also the 109 (probably).. Its not cheating at all.

Assembling an RTF foamie is cheating though..

If it involves shaping some wood and using glue then its OK.. Foam wings are fine if that is what the designed specified. 2 years ago we were building Tucanos with solid balsa wings and that was OK as well.

Martyn

Posted by steve tomlin on 24/11/2014 15:38:00:

Would it be ambitious to sign up to do this if the last time I tried to build anything like this was about 30 years ago? I'm thinking of doing the mish 109 fun fighter is foam wings cheating?

No way José! I mean Steve. face 23

I've never fully built a model plane before and I'm going to make TWO!! A balsa Gentle Lady glider and a foam Piper Cub approximately from a balsa plan.

Go for it man!thumbs up

Edited By Chuck Plains on 24/11/2014 19:48:53

Posted by Levanter3 on 20/11/2014 09:31:05:

Martin. Job well done.

My plan is to build:

Atom Special - which was on my list anyway.
Stol - Because this looks like a very interesting build and a great slow flyer
Piper Cub - Probably run in the background. I have a SIG Clipped Wing Cub kit and this will be a useful motivation.

This time I am going to try to finishing the first two in 2015. I need to be very busy on New Years Day.

1/4 Scale clippie the Sig one Levanter ?

John

I asked the plans service people if they could do anything to support the MB 2015 and, good news, they've come up with the following:

Stol Mark 2 Plan - £7.50 (Was £17.50)
Stol Mark 2 CNC Pack - £36.99 (Was £44.99)

Piper Cub Plan - £7.50 (Was £17.50)
Piper Cub Canopy - £6.95 (Was £8.95)

Jocasta Plan - £6.00 (Was £12.50)
Joacsta CNC Pack - £58.99 (Was £65.49)
Jocasta Woodpack - £31.23 (Was £36.23)

smile

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/11/2014 09:34:16

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 26/11/2014 09:58:22:

Come on David, stop being miserable, they're a business for goodness sake wink 2

Shall I tell them the Mass Builders aren't interested then?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 26/11/2014 09:59:18

No just say that they could have sold many more plans at these prices and increased their gross profits. It doesn't affect me. I've had the STOL plan for years.