2015 Mass Build - Sign up thread

Martyn K

I wasn't really getting too much involved as I had already planned for a scratch build 'Junior 60' and a rubber power free flight from 1948, but I've gone for the Piper Cub as well, I'll join in then!

Another winter in the man cave, obviously really looking forward to building, I don't watch hardly any TV at all, there have been weeks when I don't even turn the thing on, but for building I'm having to order balsa and spruce online, the local model shops near me have practically stopped catering for anything other than ARTF. What a shame, I prefer building to the actual flying.

Since both I voted for made the final list I suppose I'm in.

1) Atom special, I have a G2 metal rotor head so some modifications will be needed.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__45228__Durafly_8482_Auto_G2_Gyrocopter_Option_Metal_Rotor_Head.html

2) Also its probably time to complete the dogfight double spitfire by Ian Peacock that was a free RCM&E plan in August 1977 and started between then and 1980.

Graham

John - The 1/4 scale "Clippie"!! I hope not. That would seriously stretch my flat!! I have just been to check. It is 59" span for 19 to 35. It will probably have a Saito 30. (I know you like 4 strokes) If I could find a small twin that would be good or I may just fit a dummy head on the other side.

Would love to build a big one some day but I need to find the space first.

Actually I agree John. The comfy chairs should always be reserved for models. I am running out of ceiling so I will keep these photos of evidence of a deep thinking man and an excellent solution. Bit off topic, but if a Mass Build applies to one household then we can just about squeak it in.

Hi Guys; I am interested in joining in the fun here. I would like to build the Atom from the Autumn special. Are there any specific rules associated with the mass build? I am located in Canada (close to the Nations Capital of Ottawa) so I probably would not be able to attend the Greenacres event. Is there anyone else in Canada who will participate?

Great fun - great idea.

Mark.

We did this a while ago Ian, but back then an internet connection was the biggest issue.

I think the only problems now would be supplying power all day for a couple of days and having the manpower to look after it. (neither are insurmountable).

Maybe it's time to have a look at it again?

Oh and the other issue was exactly what to point it at. A long shot, of the flightline makes the models very small indeed.

Posted by Mark Winstanley on 26/11/2014 18:00:25:

Hi Guys; I am interested in joining in the fun here. I would like to build the Atom from the Autumn special. Are there any specific rules associated with the mass build? I am located in Canada (close to the Nations Capital of Ottawa) so I probably would not be able to attend the Greenacres event. Is there anyone else in Canada who will participate?

Great fun - great idea.

Mark.

Hi Mark

No rules as such, just choose which model (s) you'd like to build out of the selection and build it. It's also nice to create a build blog along the way with photos etc (but create it in the mass build section!) Then if you get stuck or not sure there are people following to help and also you could be helping a first time builder with their model too.

And if you fancy a holiday and can get to Greenacres.... laugh

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 26/11/2014 18:14:13:

We did this a while ago Ian, but back then an internet connection was the biggest issue.

I think the only problems now would be supplying power all day for a couple of days and having the manpower to look after it. (neither are insurmountable).

Maybe it's time to have a look at it again?

Oh and the other issue was exactly what to point it at. A long shot, of the flightline makes the models very small indeed.

A short while ago I read a post regarding a webcam at a flying strip that could be viewed by members to see the weather conditions and who was flying. IIRC it involved a mobile phone, 12v batter and solar panels?

I have two unfinished mass build models on the bench next to me as I type this embarrassed, so what I am I going to do....... that's right, start another one yes

Unlike the other two models that are scratch builds, this time I have gone for the CNC and additional wood kit for building Jocasta, so hopefully I will get further with this one.

That said the DB Tinker from the last mass build is just waiting for me to finish off one of the wings and then I can get it covered so I might have two models to bring with me to Greenacres.... we will see.

I am not going to blog this build.. too much pressure.

RichFR - why don't you have it sent to a UK address (post free?) then use Parcel 2 Go or Interlink Direct (or others)to get it out to you for about £15? I have written to MHS before about this this - It is ludicrous and they must loose out on lots of overseas orders this way. Traplet are much cheaper and do respond to'helpful' suggestions but of course they won't have what you want.

I'm in the Lot - where are you?

Terry

Yeah the rain has started already frown not been down to the festival.

I do have the free Jocasta plan so could build that probably better for me to fly anyway.
How do I work out what materials I would need? I haven't got anything so need enough to build it and possibly make a few mistakes. I would rather have plenty left for other projects than not enough laugh