2015 Mass Build - Sign up thread

Martyn K

I've already signed up for the Atom Special and am looking forward to building and flying it at my local club as I think it is something a bit different and will be a real challenge.

I only have a fixed wing BMFA "A" achievement certificate at the moment, and am working towards my "B".

Gyrocopters are rotary wing aircraft and are therefore, not covered by the fixed wing scheme. They are not really covered by the Heli or Multi rotary wing achievement schemes either, which both require powered rotary aircraft in order to pass the test.

Has anyone given any thought to the BMFA certification requirements for the Atom Special at Greenacres 2015?

I am aware of the problems of flying multi-rotors last year, and would not like to see people being turned away because they do not have the right certificate.

Got my STOL mk2 plan out of the "to build" pile, made my shopping list to call through to Balsa Cabin and sternly stopped myself getting started on any other builds. Looks like an OS25FP as I seem to have several and I'm far too poor for a nice little four stroke. I think it will have to be blue and yellow Solartex just like the one I took my first solo on back in about 1988 (are you still flying at the Brentwood club Albert?).
Time for a fresh blade in the scalpel

Posted by Gary Manuel on 09/12/2014 19:04:02:

I've already signed up for the Atom Special and am looking forward to building and flying it at my local club as I think it is something a bit different and will be a real challenge.

I only have a fixed wing BMFA "A" achievement certificate at the moment, and am working towards my "B".

Gyrocopters are rotary wing aircraft and are therefore, not covered by the fixed wing scheme. They are not really covered by the Heli or Multi rotary wing achievement schemes either, which both require powered rotary aircraft in order to pass the test.

Has anyone given any thought to the BMFA certification requirements for the Atom Special at Greenacres 2015?

I am aware of the problems of flying multi-rotors last year, and would not like to see people being turned away because they do not have the right certificate.

Good question. Helis are not allowed at GA Fly-ins. However Richard Harris always flies his Autogyros on his FW (not sure if its A or B) Achievement so I guess that it is OK..

Martyn

Just cut myself a kit of parts for my first (electric) Atom, and hope to do a slightly enlarged version later for i/c.

img_3774.jpg

...and yesterday the Hermes man brought this:

img_3775.jpg

It will have a nice new SC25.

So ready for a post-festivities buildathon.

David

p.s. thanks for the discount code for Cambrian (RCBUILD15) for my 10% off.

Edited By David P Williams on 14/12/2014 14:06:29

Edited By David P Williams on 14/12/2014 14:07:17

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all.
I have a couple of questions if you guys don't mind?

Firstly, I am interested in joining the build but am in Australia. I understand that the build culminates when you get together for the fly. Obviously I cannot do this so,

1. Is it possible for me to just post a clip of the model flying on the said calendar day?

If so,

I am interested in building a funfighter so,

2. Could someone define a 'funfighter' to me?
Am I correct on assuming that it is like the P51Mustang 'funfighter' build from the free Rcm&e plan.

Also, would someone be kind enough to briefly outline the rules to the build if possible? I am a reader of the mag but only new to the forum

Thanks
Rosco from Oz

Hi Rosco and Happy New Yearcocktail

There are no rules just take part and enjoy yourself, you don't need to finish by the time of the Greenacres Fly in, that's an added incentive for those that can and want to go. Yes the P51 fits the Funfighter definition, if you could post some pictures of your build and maiden that would be greatyes

John

Ok folks

a quick headcount and some numbers - mainly committed but a few uncertain

We have 14 Atom builds

We have 3 STOL builds

We have 9 Funfighters of various sizes

We have 4 Cubs (2 tentative)

We have 1 possibly 2 Jocasta

28 builders signed up to produce 31 models. If I can just persuade the other 34 wannabees to join in then this could be a riot..

If you are unsure about your skill level the this is the place to be, we will guide you through your build, you can go as fast as you want and hopefully, the bloggers with be providing a little more detail so you can steal their ideas.

Join in, you know it makes sense.

M

Posted by Ross Piantedosi on 01/01/2015 02:25:59:
Hello all.
I have a couple of questions if you guys don't mind?

Firstly, I am interested in joining the build but am in Australia. I understand that the build culminates when you get together for the fly. Obviously I cannot do this so,

1. Is it possible for me to just post a clip of the model flying on the said calendar day?

If so,

I am interested in building a funfighter so,

2. Could someone define a 'funfighter' to me?
Am I correct on assuming that it is like the P51Mustang 'funfighter' build from the free Rcm&e plan.

Also, would someone be kind enough to briefly outline the rules to the build if possible? I am a reader of the mag but only new to the forum

Thanks
Rosco from Oz

Hi Rosco,

I would also love to see some pice of the P51

If thats okay I will also start a build of my new P51B build and an AT6 Harvard

Cheers

Ton

• 3 weeks later...