Mass Build -Piper Cub plans

kc

I am not sure if I will get time to build a Cub but as I have the magazines with most of the Piper Cub plan articles I will list the Cubs I know about to help anyone else.

52 inch semi scale Cub by Jack Headley from Aeromodeller Jan1979 FSP1357 from MyHobbyStores. No glazed cockpit just painted.

56 inch 1/6 scale clipped wing Cub by Phillip Kent plans from Phillip himself

1/6 scale Cub by Phillip Kent plans from Phillip himself

71 inch Pa19 Super Cub by Ben Buckle Radio Modeller Dec 1983 Plan RM 84 from MyHobbyStores (note this plan number was changed at one time as it previously referred to a design that was by J Drake which was modified by Ben Buckle )

84 inch J3 & L4 Cub by David Boddington from RC Scale Aircraft winter 1985 plan RC1500 from MyHobbyStores

79 inch Super Cub by David Boddington from Aviation Modeller International August 1996 now from ADH publishing

84 inch Piper Cub by David Boddington kit from DB Sport & Scale.

I suppose we could include the Christen Husky as well as it's a modern version of the Piper Cub

53 inch Husky by David Boddington free plan from RCME July & August 1988  available from MyHobbyStores

79 inch Husky by David Boddington from RC Scale Aircraft winter 1989 plan no RC1603 from MyHobbyStores

Edited By kc on 24/11/2014 13:07:45

• 3 years later...

John is right it's an old thread. If you substitute Sarik Hobbies for MyhobbyStores then the info is still applicable.

Phillip Kent sells some of his plans himself ( as well as those sold by Sarik ) and the Piper cubs are amongst those and his club's website gives his phone number, so give him a call and discuss it!

The 52" Jack Headley Cub mentioned at the top of the OP was my first ever plan build around 1983. Flew well and did my 'A' test with it. Built a second, but electric powered, which was very adventurous at the time and created a lot of interest in my then club. Model wouldn't ROG, but needed a very powerful hand launch to lift the bulk of nicads. No mini radio gear either (astronomically expensive) but did use a home built electronic motor switch - just on/off.

Flew surprisingly well considering the pathetic amount of power available from the Mabuchi motor, once it was away. Got about four minutes or so from it, IIRC.

Must build another with modern leccy gear for old times' sake.

Nice choice for the mass build, the Jack Headley Cub was my first ever RC plane that I built from those very same plans. I ended up cutting my plans to shreds (I learnt not to cut out parts on unprotected plans from then on).

I do have another copy of the plan as I've always toyed with the idea of building another and bought a new plan.

I ended up selling the model but wish I hadn't.

The pic shows a young 18 yr old me back in 1981 with that same model.

l4h3.jpg

Mark

Edited By Mark Stevens 1 on 20/12/2017 04:02:59

Phillip Kent is a well known scale designer and columnist so his plans are likely to be the best around. Most of his designs were published in RCModelWorld. It's a pretty safe bet that his Piper Cubs are good designs. But as many of his other designs were unusual or odd looking planes maybe his plans are not as well known as some other designers because few people want to  build ugly planes!

Edited By kc on 20/12/2017 14:19:56

• 2 weeks later...

Phillip Kent is a respected designer with many plans currently available, such as:-

http://www.belairkits.com/itemsection.asp?id=8

https://aerofred.com/search.php?search_fields=image_designer&search_keywords=Phillip%20S.Kent

I am keen to contact anyone who has built his J-3 Piper Cub design, particularly this one using the laser cut parts:-

http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/clipped-wing-piper-cub-16-plus-5-plan493/

Edited By Anthony Eden on 29/12/2017 00:21:18