Stol MkII and a bit

reg shaw

In the original article in the October 1983 RCME it says that " for the Mark2 only the wing is changed it has a totally different structure but the same planform" So it is very clear Peter Russel did not change the wingspan and he kept the same fuselage.

So something has happened recently I think. I believe this will be important to builders of the standard size STOL.

Shouldn't someone from MyHobbyStores tell us what's happened to this plan that it comes out larger than advertised? They should let us know if the plan has been tested at this new size and whether the structure has been strengthened to suit the new size. ..

Whilst I agree with you that we dont want to use Ian's thread for other purposes it seems important to know whether he is enlarging a normal STOL plan or whether the basis is some later, revised and enlarged plan. Ian will need to know whether the fuselage has been increased in proportion to the wing or whether just the wing span has increased.

It's all down to MyHobbyStores plan dept to let us know what has happened.

Edited By kc on 02/12/2014 13:19:59

Yup, I'm quite happy with the plan, though I'm not actually using it!!! Drew up the wing rib at playtime today, first on good ole paper, then into the 'puter wizardly things. I'm using cyparis for the mainspar beams, then balsa for the leading edges and rear spar. Haven't decided on the trailing edge yet, but it will definately have a flat strip of either ply or cyparis on the bottom trailing edge of the ribs with top cap strips feathered into it, if that works well then I'll leave it at that. I cut the ribs out on the laser to give me a good start!!

Here also is a picture of the powerplant, a Laser 75 with a Minimag magneto conversion kit by Jim Shelley. IMHO its the perfect combination, the Minimag is the same vintage as the STOL design. It is also a very slim engine to match an only just 'less slim' cowling!! It isn't just a bolt on modification, in the kit you get a block of ali with which to make a complete new front crank housing, inside of which is a modified crank which operates the points, which then time the spark from the magneto. Very simple and reliable once set up, no batteries or anything.

Ian.

dscf3536.jpg

dscf3539.jpg

dscf3540.jpg

I PM stu back, I'll post it when I got past the Post office next. I measured span at just under 55 inches, it does say on it 55 inch span. I don't think it's been used, it belonged to one of our members who recently passed away and it seemed a shame for it to end up in the bin.

Edited By steve tomlin on 05/12/2014 15:42:14

Doesn't get any prettier with two engines does it Jeff !!?? I now have a full set of ribs and have been thinking about the hinging for the wing's control surfaces. I'm going for a Frieze aileron set up so the up going aileron has a chunk that sticks down below into the airflow under the wing, to balance the drag of the opposite down going aileron and cancel any adverse yaw at (in particular) low speeds. The flaps are hinged the same so they can be used as ailerons too but can drop to nearly 80 degrees or so for maximum drag. At this deflection, there is a large gap between the wing and the flap so as not to spoil lift, fingers crossed making for a slow but manouverable machine. The pushrods will be between the top and bottom rear spars in keeping with the internal elevator drive on the original plan. That's the plan anyhoo!! We'll see. The hinges and horns will be hand cut in good old paxolin, the green and black acrylic was just scrap to get the shapes right.

Ian.

dscf3609.jpg

dscf3610.jpg

dscf3612.jpg

Now the great Stol debate has crept to a halt, I've drawn up the fuselage plans and sorted an order of timber and stuff. I'll do the wing plan tonight if I get chance, that shouldn't take long at all. I've also cut some templates for the laminated tail surface outlines, will lay up 3 or four strips of 1/16", perhaps a layer of spruce too, will see what I have in the box!

Ian.

Hi Reg. Space is my big problem so I should be sensible and stick to the plan size (dare I say it 55" Do you think it will be possible to miniaturise your linkages and hinges. I still have reasonably nimble fingers and I enjoy making small things. In which case could I take you up on your offer of any sketches you have. Thanks - Lev

Here are a few really bad pics of the plans, not really worth showing but I took them so here they are! I've also had my delivery of timber for the bulk of the construction so I'm perhaps hoping to make a start this weekend. Scratch that, I've just remembered I have left the new plans a skool, bu99er. Never mind, I'll just have to tidy up instead! The tailplane plans have the outer outline of the laminated edges left off since they aren't required with preforming the outlines.

Ian.

dscf3652.jpg

dscf3654.jpg

dscf3655.jpg

dscf3656.jpg

Another finally got time moment, this time to take some pics!! Made up the outlines for the tail surfaces and wing tips. MDF for the templates, with the edge covered in cellotape, then 4 layers of 1/16" x 1/4" (the innermost is medium hard) All glued up at once then starting at one end the 1/4" square bundle is taped in position and left to dry. Pulling the tape tight for maximum clampage does round the corners a bit but that isn't an issue as the outer faces will be rounded eventually anyway. Once untaped, they simply click off the former as the glue doesn't stick to cellotape. The wing tip bows are 'overcurved' at the ends to ensure a nice tight glue joint at the ends when trimmed.

Ian.

dscf3669.jpg

dscf3666.jpg

dscf3667.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, no more happening with this as I'm busy trying to get rid of stuff due to an hopefuly impending house to boat move so space is going to be somewhat limited unless I happen upon a canal mooring with workshops!! So, sorry to anyone watching on any of the threads that I started but I doubt any will progress anytime soon!!

Ian.