Levanter's Atom Special

Levanter

Been away for a week and in the meantime al the bits and bobs have arrived. Two sets of blades from AJ and beautiful they are. Rotor head from Hobby King, Motor, ESC and mg servos from SMC and the Lipos locally. Ready for the kick-off although I might just cut-out the balsa bits to complete the kit.

I have grand illusions, likely to be delusions of building this one quickly. To qualify for my version of quick it will have to be less than three months.

I can't wait to have my first gyro in the air.

• 3 weeks later...

Well 2015 arrived noisily as it does in Spain. Where did 2014 go?

Keeping on track on day one I made a start. Not much of one I admit as I still have to finish Mini Jazz, start Dawn Flyer, get going on the STOL.

But anyway here are all the bought in parts.

p1110421.jpg

Not showing is the spare set of blades (they fell behind a cupboard) and all the wood bits I have anyway.

Best job I did this holiday was sort out my balsa scrap box. I am really quite embarrassed about the sort of bits I kept thinking I might use one day. Reduced the volume by half and so it now takes me half the time to find something useful. Bingo.

Colours going to be based on the Portuguese national flag in honour of Juan de la Cierva.

• 3 years later...

An old thread I know, but it is mine and has to restart with a confessional. I had no idea it went right back to 2015 and what's more I had the temerity to label it a "quick build". So apologies all round and I do eventually get to finish all my Mass Builds.

This years Grumpy Tigercub is likely to get finished this year and there is a bit of breathing space as it looks like the 2019 build will start a bit later than previously

First to answer Richard and yes it was a slim bottle but I did make a plug and shrink it a little for a good fit. The neck of the bottle did well for the cowl.

p1190023.jpg

To begin with everything was quite conventional with the mast support and recesses for the servos. Like many I made the mast removable in the case of breakage and the holes in the backing plate are there to take the retaining bolts.

p1190025.jpg

Here is the mast laminated from three strips of spruce and the two retaining bolts. The mast is quite a tight sliding fit in the channel of the mast support so the bolts are in direct sheer and not doing very much work. I chose nylon to save a bit of weight.

p1190033.jpg

Checking the servos fit and these are the metal geared ones recommended by Richard.

p1190044.jpg

After that some quite big changes were made. I had some hollow square carbon tube that I thought would do nicely for the booms. Being hollow this led me to think about running a snake through one of the booms to work the rudders. It kind of got devised as I went along but the first hurdle was to get a linkage from the servo into the hollow tube. The rudder servo had to stay where drawn because there is not a lot of room in the cockpit and I was sure that would soon be used up.
The rear end of the fuselage was arranged as a sandwich to neatly fit the carbon tubes. The brass tube acts as a locating peg for the carbon and also a lead-in to the snake.

p1190052.jpg

This is how the arrangement works and I think I first got the idea that the connection from a servo didn't have to initially point in the right direction from a Peter Miller plan for a throttle linkage where there is not enough room for a normal linkage very tight to a firewall. It took a couple of goes to get the wire bent correctly and when everything did finally line up, the wire was soldered into a hollow stud which then screwed into the snake inner. The piano wire borrows a bit of the hole cut for the servo wires but there was enough room and the servo wires were restrained to avoid chafing.

p1190053.jpg

A slightly different angle. Later on the snake outer is slid over the inner and is a snug fit in the square carbon tube.

The booms do not taper in towards the tail and are parallel. I did not think that would matter too much.

To be continued.

Levanter

The rest of the fuselage was according to the plan and here is one of the stages.

p1190058.jpg

Here the internal supports for the undercarriage are clamped in place. The two carbon tubes can just be seen sticking out the back.

p1190064.jpg

The fairing around the mast support is partially fixed. The rails at the top are spot glued in place as a clamping aid.

p1190065.jpg

The rails stop the clamps from sliding off.

p1190774.jpg

Another slight variation was the mounting of the ESC. It was an experiment really but worked out quite well. The three holes at the front are for the motor wires and are sufficiently large to allow the bullet connectors to pass through. The slot is big enough to pass the battery connector so everything is dismountable which is one of main aim in every build. On final assembly the ESC was fixed with double sided tape and being right in the airflow, should get plenty of cooling.

Levanter

Steve. I get easily distracted that's the problem.

Having got the steering sorted out at the servo end it was time to get connected at the rudders. Here I did do a few sketches to bash out some options and a quick look around the bits and bobs soon had the answer.

p1060990.jpg

A bell crank was fitted. The brass bolt goes through a short piece of a
luminium tube to stop the balsa crushing. This is the underside of the tailplane which was built-up but only sheeted on the top surface.

p1070250.jpg

This is what the bell crank looked like on the underside and connected up. The snake can be seen running through the carbon tube. The white areas and the skid are painted along with the tubes.

p1070248.jpg

The view from the top shows the double ended ball link and the push-rods soldered into stud fittings. This is where the adjustment was is made to get the rudders central and parallel.

p1070249.jpg

Here is the connection to the rudder. The horn is a small piece of Tufnol glued in place.

p1070247.jpg

And here is the finished assembly, The little "hatch" in the middle is stuck on with double sided tape and can be popped of to get good access to the ball joint for adjustment. The angle of the photo doesn't show that the push-rods are in fact directly behind the tailplane to keep them out of the airflow and also well protected. I am pleased to say the steering works a treat.

p1070252.jpg

Following up on the ESC, here is the final installation. A couple of dobs of hoy melt glue has it firmly fixed in the recess.

p1070254.jpg

Everything else followed the plan and the excellent instructions and tips from Richard Harris. It was partly the fear of the head and rotor blades that made me put the model to one side but in the end it all worked out just as he promised.

Here is my Atom finished but not yet flown.

Hmmm! The Panther looks tempting in this year's Special Issue.

Levanter