Levanter's STOL

Levanter

The plan for the Stol arrived yesterday. Perfect timing to study and understand the plan in the next couple of weeks.

I have been following Reg's thread with interest but scaled 1.5 up is too big for me and my storage. The plan copy is not that good with quite a lot of print dropped out and some of the lines are very wide so some careful measurements and cross referencing will be necessary but part of the fun.

This plane has it all for me. I can go mad on the wing-tip laminations and will do the same on the tailplane and rudder. I like the central elevator control that will look very neat and I think I will have my first go at a closed loop for the rudder. Above all, I love the idea of the aluminium cowling and the promise of a little panel beating to give it a bit of volume, plus another couple of ideas.

Up front will be an Ebay acquired new OS FS30 and I am hoping to use high voltage servos and an Rx running off a LiPo. I have a real mission on this one to make it very light. This is to give it a payload capacity and I have in mind a toffee bomb bay, bomb release mechanism, camera bay etc. These will be built in cassette form so they can be dropped in and out quickly. I am also going to equip it for small glider towing and and for banner towing. Finally it will have to go on floats and skis as well as wheels. In Mallorca that means I can use the ski approximately once every 50 years.

The most challenging part will be making the leading edge slats retractable. I don't know if anyone else is going to try this but if so I would love to compare notes. My first thoughts were to link these to the flaps. This would be the simplest but I anticipate having the flaps incremental but only needing the slats to be in or out so I am now looking at making them independent. I am really excited about profiling those slats and recessing the leading edge. I am hoping that I can do all this on my DX7.

I am in no hurry whatsoever on this one. It is a bit of a test bed and I don't have the pressure of Greenacres, not this year anyway. I don't mind stopping and starting of having to re-make things if they don't work. It simply has to fly and do its job one day.

Just a quick note of thanks. I came back to model aircraft just under two years ago and previously I had never built from a plan. Taking on something like this is absolutely down to the help and information on this forum and from RCME. Thanks guys.

Great news Levanter, I'll try and keep up!!

Why are you making the slats retractable? Probably for the same reason I would!! I have some simple designs for slattery that have worked over the years so could add to your own ideas if required. Are you thinking auto slats or driven? The model in my avatar has full auto and its a real treat (for me anyhoo) to see them pop out as and when they are needed. I have had driven ones on an Bf 109e and a couple of others. Ilook forward to your build starting and will crack on with mine mainly over the Christmas break, but will do a bit in the meantime too. I like your idea of the laminated outlines for the tailplane, fin and rudder as they will then look more in keeping with the fragile looks of the rest of it!

Martyn, you are doing a thread too, yes??

Ian.

Hi Levanter - have a look at Pat Lynch's build of a Hutson Lysander (It starts out as a F Mizer build but becomes a Hutson build) on RCScale forum here. On Page 17 there is a video that might be useful to you. You might need to register to see the forum but it's well worth it.

Ian - I want to do a Lysander build some time in the future with Slats, flaps and variable tailplane (everyone has to have a dream!) I did have a look at your wonderful 'Helena' at Greenacres which has auto slats (independent of each other/?). So if there's any info going on slats or linked slats/flaps could you include me too please?

Thanks

Terry

Reg. I am not quite sure what you mean by auto or driven but after having taken the decision to make them moveable I would like to make the whole aircraft configurations as flexible as possible and for the engineering challenge. Other than that I don't have much idea what this means in the air. I would love to see your designs please and to learn about the aerodynamics.

Thanks for the link Terry. I will have a god look this evening.

How does the automatic system work? What are the control or sensor parameters to make them deploy? Fantastic video but I saw something other than STOL use where very short ground runs are coupled with a steep climb-out and steep descent.

Even more convinced they are going to be moveable. Echo - thanks Chris

• 3 weeks later...

New Year's Day 2015 did have quite a few distractions and no hangover for a change. One very small step but it does count as progress.

Photocopied parts of the plan in readiness for the wing-tip laminations and dug out the engine.

p1110424.jpg

One resolution that I aim to keep - Learn to fly