Phil's Atom thread

Phil Winks

Posted by Chris Barlow on 03/01/2015 17:45:25:

Looks good Phil. Like you I have also made my boom and mast removeable to assist in probable repairs!

I suspect this one will be ready for Greenacres. yes

thanks Chris with a 181 days left it had better be lol.

I did consider that Martin though with potentially 40 degree throws I think I may just have enough rudder authority eh?

Well the weather made the possibility of a trip to the airfield a very real one this morning, but to show my commitment to the cause, and that I had sunday dinner to prepare, I stayed at home and cracked on with the blade balance, and to boot I got a coat of primer on the complete airframe.

Any way on with the balancing.

This is Richards method, well my version of his method and I'd lay good money its near enough the simplest way too.

First the blade root lower reinforcing plates need to be fixed, followed by any shaping of the root area required, here I made my only mistake, I had it in my head that this was the required shape

rotor balancing (3).jpg

Its not! The root should be at a slight angle forward not curved, the reinforcing plate is back to front, so as the plate flexes the blade tilts LE down slightly, apparently it improves performance, Any way the rest is all correct

once the root lower plate and shaping is done find the chordwise COG line with a pin either end set so the blade hangs level thus

rotor balancing (1).jpg

on these AJ blades it comes out nicely at the rear of the spruce LE

rotor balancing (2).jpg

Once the chordwise COG line is marked top and bottom add a line 1mm rear of this at the root area and fix the top plate central along this line

rotor balancing (5).jpg

then mark the rear line along the top of the top plate, measure the given distance from the tip for the fixing hole and mark it across the rear line this is where the 3mm fixing bolts go so repeat the process on the bottom plate and drill through ensuring the hole is square through the blade

Next we need to balance lengthways at the centre, obviously as there is now two bits of FG plate at the root some tip weight will be needed, I put the blade on bar at rhe centre point and let the root lay on a jewellers scale the weight recorded is a good starting point for your tip weight, I used some thin piano wire let into the underside thus

rotor balancing (9).jpg

and after a little snipping and adjusting we end up with this

rotor balancing (10).jpg

A nicely balanced blade with the tip weights securely epoxied in so we have no flyaway weights at full rpm

Next we need to balance the blades in pairs, so weigh each blade and mark it with its weight

rotor balancing (6).jpg

rotor balancing (7).jpg

rotor balancing (8).jpg

Then take the heavier blade and any of the other 2 bolt them using a long M3 bolt or threaded bar and set on a standard prop balancer thus

rotor balancing (11).jpg

Obviously the heavy blade will be down so using Balsaloc or pva white glue add a little weight at a time to the lengthways balance point of the lighter blade until you achieve this

rotor balancing (12).jpg

No it's not sat on the balsaloc pot! Though I thought that when I first checked the picture, If you now repeat this with the other lighter blade and your original heavier blade you will end up with three identical blades that all balance with each other

Being a glutton for models and with time on my hands I have started another fus. I was inspired by some of your mods and have incorporated the rear servo mounts but the booms will now fit into 8mm sq. x 2 1/2"carbon tubes because I would be worried that if they were simply pushed in and screwed the balsa fus rear may split. My mast is already removable. A steerable tail wheel may be fitted but it must not protrude lower than the existing skid.

Martin

Thats looking pretty good as usual Martin.

I've been beavering away in the odd spare moment during the week and my Atom is now half painted, I intend to fit the esc externally as Martin has done to give me, more than anything, more room inside for the battery. all the holes for the wires and the usual, for me, deadman arming plug have been cut so once I finish painting it shouldn't take long to get the hardware installed.

picture 019 atom 2015.jpg

Please exscuse the poor quality of the Photo, I left the camera in the van and decided to use the phone camera to save going out in the rain, bad move lol.

Really must sort out the pilot PDQ

Edited By Phil Winks on 10/01/2015 22:32:46

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/01/2015 23:40:03:

Very nice job Phil. I did not bother with a little man on this sort of model.

Stupidly managed to glue in one of my `removable` booms and no matter how much debonder I use it will not come out!

Guess it's not removable then laugh Sorry Martin that just raised a smile mate.

The pilot won't be a little man, I did say early on page one that you should be seeing more of Diesel, our new labrador puppy later in the build, just got to get Sean at real model pilots to do his bit wink it'll be a "Diesel" powered Atom hopefully (note to ed, we need a fingers crossed emoticon)

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/01/2015 23:40:03:

Very nice job Phil. I did not bother with a little man on this sort of model.

Stupidly managed to glue in one of my `removable` booms and no matter how much debonder I use it will not come out!

Is it possible to cut the boom flush with the fuselage and the drill out the tube? Or you could leave it as is and sort it out if the booms ever get broken or suffer damage?

I like the nose and canopy of your Atom Phill! Another variation on the fuselage shape. yes

Here we go, all done bar the blade covering and the pilot, and Sean at Real Model Pilots emailed me tonight, they're starting on the design tomorrow,

The hang angle came out at 12.6 degrees, AUW 1.4lb total power 140W at 11v so a maiden will be happening as soon as weather and time coincide

The dog appears to have his doubts

picture 25 atom 2015.jpg

Thanks John and Gary, I've always liked the panther colour scheme and as there was a tin or two of Volkswagen brilliant orange left over from a lifeboat model I thought why not.

As for Diesel John, we think so too, would you believe he's just 20 weeks old in that photo, he's definitely going to be a good size