Phil's Atom thread

Phil Winks

Thanks Richard, but to be honest the paint work leaves a lot to be desired, all down to my impatience to get her done and on with the TN spit for the FunFighter class so that I can get back to my immensely long ToDo list,

If you look in my Atom album you'll see I've cherry picked the best photo lol

​Certainly looking forward to learning to fly her though, mind you not looking forward to the inevitable repairs frown

Thinks got another step closer to completion today, I've received a proof photo of the design for the pilot from Sean at Real Model Pilots, and given that his brief was to caractiture, with a comedy leaning, our Diesel I think it looks pretty well spot on.

Can't wait to get this and paint and install him

lab 20012015 (2).jpg

another stunning pilot from Sean, well done mate.

Posted by Bob Bertram on 21/01/2015 09:27:16:

Looks a bit rrruff!

Thats exactly what Diesel, and the lads will say when they see me flying it wink I'm fully prepared for all the comments and many of them there will be I'm sure

Photo of the fella just as he's about to be shipped

pilot 1.jpg

For some reason the site upload rotated him left

I just cant say enough good things about Real Model Pilots, this is my second from them and yes you pay a bit more than for a generic JP pilot but hell its unique and and very personal and provided you've given the correct measurements and taken the time to discuss your requirements with one of the RMP team you'll get exactly what you want and not the next best thing. Which if your building scale and detailed just adds so much to the finished article

Posted by Richard Harris on 21/01/2015 20:03:22:

Phil,

I have never seen anything like that before, clever stuff and very original. You are barking mad! fist

I'll take that as a compliment Mate, cheeky it is pretty amazing what can be achieved with some creative flair and a 3D printer and the beauty is the weight or lack of it, even a 1/8th full pilot figure weighs in under 9g I believe! Certainly my DF half body 1/10th pilot is approx 3g and 4g with the magnets that secure him in the open cockpit

Finally I do need to paint "Diesel Power" down the side of the fuselage yes

The pilot has arrived and to add icing to the cake so to speak Sean sent it painted, so one less job to do. To say I'm chuffed with the result is putting it mildly, I'm ecstatic

finished pilot front.jpg

finished pilot rear.jpg

Just need to introduce him to the office tomorrow and hopefully the weather forecast is correct and a maiden is in the offing

Posted by Bob Bertram on 24/01/2015 20:43:13:

But Diesel has a blue collar!!! Brilliant job they did.

top marks for observation Bob cheeky I did wonder if anyone would spot that, it is a small detail but one I may address at some point, though prob not as I have no desire to accidentaly spoil the artists work.

managed to set the head angles up to Richards specs this morning and she is ready for trimming and the maiden as soon as time and weather allows, just a bit to busy to escape today. Hopefully the blades will be visible enough to help with orientation, The under side only has the fluorescent bits at the tips so the difference between top and bottom of the blades should be obvious.

picture 34 atom 2015.jpg

picture 31 atom 2015.jpg

picture 32 atom 2015.jpg

picture 36 atom 2015.jpg

Edited By Phil Winks on 25/01/2015 12:44:06

• 1 month later...

I had an attempt at a maiden today, unfortunately the wind was not adequate to get a full spin up to trim the head before committing to flight, though I did at one point for about 10 seconds get that incredible whooshing/ popping noise from the rotors and I'm hooked can't wait for a better day

It's an amazing sound isn't it!

When you do get the opportunity to have another go try to make sure you keep it on the ground until the head is up to speed, and a bit more. Watching Richards early videos and others on YouTube and from experience of helis the forward advancing blades on the right side of the rotor disk get above their stall speed before the rearwards travelling blades and cause a roll to the left just before flying speed is attained.

Be ready for a little right aileron and slight down elev to keep it on the ground a second or so longer then let it rise! Trimming is interesting! I sorted out elevator first which then gave me more time to trim aileron.

If you imagine the rotor disk as a circle with arrows drawn on each side for rotation direction the right side has the arrow pointed forward and the left pointing backwards. Add to the rotor disk the direction of travel of the aircraft and you get two arrows pointing forwards on the right and one forward and one rearward on the left. Now imagine that instead of a rotor disk it's a straight wing and the right side has more forward speed and lift than the left which would induce a roll to the left.

It doesn't exactly work out that way because the flex plate replaces the bushes used in heli heads and allows the forward travelling blade to "flap" upwards reducing the difference in lift on one side of the rotor disk a little.

This is also why the rearwards blades tend to stall first, causing the left roll on a premature takeoff.

Further on my aborted maiden yesterday, and a word of caution to others while trying to get full spin up in my hand to trim the head somewhere near before attempting a take off run I noticed a slight shudder from the head and put it down to the blades not rotating fast enough to get themselves true, however since then just to be certain I've revisited the balancing, one blade was indeed .3 gr heavier, I can only put this down to the varnish used to add weight finally fully drying out, as they were perfect last time I checked, any way this time I've used aluminium adhesive tape to re balance knowing there is no solvent to dry out I'm happy they'll stay as they now are. Fingers crossed the next maiden attempt is tomorrow, so watch this space.

Another successful atom maiden, it took 3 aborted ground runs to realise the tail wheel is to aggressive and so stopped me getting a proper spin up, so an attempt at a hand launch was called for, 1st attempt not enough head speed in the calm conditions, so to rectify that another member assisted spin up with the draught from h his twin jet this did the trick and a perfect get away was achieved, two nice floaty circuits later and with the power nearly of a near vertical plop down into a very short landing drew a round of applause, all in all a success I'd say many thanks for this one Rich yes

Right a bit of time in the shed and the modifications have been done.

1st the tail wheel, seriously shortened the trailing arm to desensitize the rudder response on the ground,

from this

picture 018 atom 2015.jpg

to this

picture 042 atom 2015.jpg

this has also had the effect of increasing the rearward angle of the mast while sat on the ground so hopefully improving the spin up.

now on to the mast, the original broke of inside the fuselage during an abortive take off attempt last weekend, to try and prevent this some local reinforcing has been added from base of the mast to a point 5mm outside the fuselage in the form of 0-.4mm GF sheeting epoxied to the mast, obviously this means that the mast is 0.8mm slimmer in both dimensions to allow this, now hopefully if/when the mast breaks next it will occur outside the fuselage making removal of the base section so much easier

picture 039 atom 2015.jpg

Also this time I've omitted the top retaining screw as this is the point at which the last one broke, and I feel a single screw through the base from inside the battery bay will be adequate to prevent it sliding upwards in flight