Taranis audio Buzz and speaker upgrade

WolstonFlyer

Inspired by this blog post I thought I would have a go at fixing my own Taranis Version B audio problems, I was getting a loud pulsing and buzzing noise on the speaker and earphones with the volume over 50%, and the antenna in certain orientations.

**LINK**

There have been lots of proposed fixes for this issue includng soldering a 1000uF cap in to the audio circuit, and shielding the RF board with silver foil but this seemed like a much easier fix.. if it works.

Rather than using sandwich bag twisty ties I went to Maplins and picked up a few different sized clip on ferrite cores to try on the interconnect cables, this is what I ended up doing and the audio buzzing and pulsing is completely gone, even at full volume!

After a bit of testing I just needed one ferrite core on this set of wires to solve the buzzing noise - job done yes

Ferrite.jpg

While I had the back off, I also upgraded the tiny internal speaker with one purchased from E-bay, the original is a little 0.5W unit with very poor audio quality, I have replaced it with a 'massive' 2W 8 Ohm 36mm diameter unit as seen on the picture below:

Speakers.jpg

**LINK**

I made a plastic adapter ring from a section cut from the base of a Nescafe' Dolce Gusto coffee pod (of all things), the diameter of the base of the plastic pod is perfect to adapt the original 23mm hole to 36mm. A bit of CA to glue the ring in place and hot glue to hold the new speaker, after soldering on the wires with plug.

Pod.jpg

Speaker adapter.jpg

Hey presto...

New speaker.jpg

I now have a very clear, loud, and buzz free better sounding Taranis, especially when the 'Amber' sound pack is sooooo nice

**LINK**

Hope this helps anybody with similar audio issues on their Version B, of course the new Plus model probably fixes this issue as it has a new main board... and doing this Mod will probably void your manufacturer warranty so keep that in mind.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 17/12/2014 18:29:27

Hi Martin, the sound files are on the micro SD inside the taranis battery bay. Download the .zip file from the link I posted and then extract the files, they will be in a folder. Simply replace the folder on the SD card with the downloaded one.

You can either use a MicroSD card adapter and plug the card in to a card reader for your PC, or connect a USB cable to your Taranis and copy the files directly over.

• 6 years later...

On my Taranis X95 I was getting a constant low chugging sound.  Web searches led me to various people recommending the ferrite tube fix, but I managed to cure my problem more simply.

I  opened up the tranny, and turned it on.  It chugged.  There are several groups of cables, and I found that touching one of these silenced the noise.  Then all I did was to unplug one end if the cables, give it a couple of full twists and plug it in again.

The most dificult part was unplugging the cables.  I had to use a thin slip of metal inserted into the sides and ends of the plug/socket to lever it out.

Plummet