Crescent Bullet Owners

Jack Banner

Nice to see all these Bullets!

I was flying mine again today, so I took a few snaps. It is pretty much my favorite plane at the moment. I hope to get around to building one from scratch one day. This one was bought second hand, recovered and refitted and it fly's a treat. Irvine .39 mk1 upfront

bullet_green1.jpg

bullet_green2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maidened my electric bullet today!

Got my mate (Shane Harding) to maiden her, turns out, somehow my expo was set at 100%, glad he flew her first.

Reprogrammed the tx and Shane took her up again and said she was perfectly balanced and flew really well!

He put the tx strap around my neck and said my turn (I'm an inexperienced flyer) and talked me through a take off, 3 circuits and a near perfect landing, I was really chuffed! I only have one battery at the moment, but will be ordering another.

Took my foam wot 4 up and it was terrible in the gusts and side winds.

Building acrowot with an os .46ax, can't wait to maiden that onefrown​

• 1 month later...

Well, checked the bullet over after the maiden and found the motor had fore and aft play. Turns out the grubscrew had come out and the shaft had moved. I tried to repair it but somehow managed to damage a bearing.

So, I bought another motor, tested it in the garden for 5 minutes and found this one had axial play. I ordered new bearings and repaired both motors, but the second motor had the same issue after 5 mins and the first motor just didn't sound right. 

I emailed the supplier who were of little help and to be honest I've had loads of grief with their esc's too!

I then bought a cheap turnigy motor and modded the front of the bullet to suit. I flew it twice today but the ESC kept playing up and the motor was very hot (think it's too small), it also seemed a little under powered.

The bullet itself flew like it was on rails (although there was little wind this morning) and I enjoyed flying it. Only issue was it rolled slowly, so I may have to tweak the travel on the servo. Also wish I'd fitted a steerable nose wheel lol!

So, do I persevere and buy another motor and ESC or convert it to ic? What motor ESC/battery combo have you used?

Ian.

Steve, it's tempting! I' can fly at my club anytime with an electric, but we're restricted with IC, so will probably leave it electric and perhaps build an IC one in the Winter.

Minty, I have the standard turnigy 3548 1100kv motor. Perhaps it's not got enough cooling and I'm using the wrong size prop? I ran a 11x7 APCE on the recommended Overlander setup and a 11x5.5 APCE on the turnigy as the KV was 1100 (overlander was 900).

Ian

Sorry to read of bother.
If the motor & ESC are working near their max ratings they will get hot - especially
if there isn't much cooling airflow.
You could try removing the spinner to get some breeze over the motor & try to get
a draft over the ESC too if not already & see if it improves performance.

Often a well over-spec'd ESC doesn't need too much cooling airflow.
If it's any help I used a Scorpion 70A ESC with a Scorpion 3026 890kV motor
& 10x7 prop on 4S 3700 Lipo. This draws around 50A full whack., a bigger prop
would draw too much current.
The cowl is left open underneath for access & airflow.