Auto G2

Delta Whiskey

I got one of these for Christmas, but not had time to assemble it yet, but on a quick look the pre-rotator drive shaft (thread) seems not straight at all, is this normal or likely to cause more problems later?

I also notice that the pre-rotator black gear box is loose in the wood frame and has some sideways slop, does this need to be addressed too?

Happy New Year!

It's fine DW, the play is to cope with the movement of the head. I tried to get the flexible shaft on mine straighter but it didn't make any difference. The only problem I had with the pre-rotator was the couplings slipping and rounding out the grub screws trying to clamp them tighter - otherwise it's an OK bit of kit, flies fine. Just make sure the head's up to proper speed (not just the speed the autorotate turns it) before taking off.

• 1 month later...

It's now ready for the sunshine tomorrow!

One thing I did notice is that the blade tracking was way out, then I noticed the blade that comes already attached to the Y plate was not on right, so sorted that out, still a few millimeters of tracking out should be ok for a test flight I think, may put a bit of tape on them in the morning, when I will check again.

I remember from the G1 someone said to remove one of the screws from each of the blade holders, and replace with a cocktail stick, that should break on any contact, anyone doing this?

Well a somewhat disapointing day really...........the pre rotation system was intermittant and when it did work a couple of take off attempts saw it tip over, the cocktail sticks doing their job and saving any damage other than for a slight chip in the foam of one balde which I cellotaped over.

Messing around with it, I decided to move the pre rotation esc to channel 6 (futaba) which uses the VR knob Ch 6 and the rotation system worked fine every time, it did not like the on / off switch on Ch 5 (gear) at all ! So I will look up how to assign the variable knob to another switch now, but for today just turning it up to max and with a fellow flyer hand launching it for me and then turning down the variable knob to zero, I had a sucessful flight, I saw no need to turn on the roatation motor again and even did a spot on landing.

Things I were disapointed with were the weakness of the blades, (they won't last long at all I suspect) and the lack of thrust it seem to have, though it was quite windy. I also had to hold in full down elevator to make it fly level which was not good, and added lot of down sub trim, but it looks weird having the elevator not level!

Any tips welcomed !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 17/02/2015 18:25:00

Ditch the auto start, saves weight and drag on the blades. Mine hand launches in the slightest breeze without a problem. Just tilt it back against the breeze, let the speed build and away she goes.

Lack of power has never been an issue, and yes the nature of the beast means down elevator on occasions.

Been through no end of blades, usually down to tipping over on landing so have just upgraded to the Coolwind flex plate and AJ blades. Flies like a dream now.

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 17/02/2015 20:34:51:

So get the G1 then !

Are you referring to the conversion plate only for the G1 on the cool wind web site?

Absolutely! I started with a G2 and totalled it on the first flight. G1 flew so much better. A mate also bought a G2 and quickly removed the auto start bits. Flies so much better without. Yes, the Coolwind plate coupled with blades from AJ makes it a much more flyable beast.

Now graduated to an Ajay which is even better, Why discontinued?

Thx Gavin. Well I took it out as stock for another flight on Friday, and as it was a lot calmer I did an easy short take off with the auto start, so I guess that's one small plus point, though I did find I had to fly it around basically on full or almost full power and even manage a few nice stall turns!

A few minutes later though I thought I better get ready of landing and switched on the auto start and slowed down on the thrust power, this caused a nose dive straight it ! Luckily though on wet soft ground only damage was prop and main rotor blades ! I order the coolwind plate and AJ blades early Fri afternoon and got them Sat morning ! Excellent service !

So just got to fit them and see if there is much difference !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 22/02/2015 18:59:27

I've had both the G1 and G2, the G1 is best you are hand launching, but getting the blades upto speed on a take off can be a bit hit and miss, especially if there is no wind. With the G2 the take off is a bit less stressful, just spin up the blades, apply apply power (switching off the pre-rotate at the same time) and away she goes.

The G2 being heavier does need a bit more power to fly and hence the flight run times are not as long.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 22/02/2015 23:13:35

• 6 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I just had to post something having completed 3 flights on the Auto G2 which had been in it's box for a couple of years.

Having never flown an autogyro before I was a bit apprehensive but everything has turned out really well and all I can say is......... Wow, what a blast and great fun to fly!

Not as difficult as expected and I feel excited like I did when I first learned to fly!

Already looking for my next and will probably build the Atom by Mr.R.Harris.

In the mean time I'll continue to fly the G2 and possibly buy the flex plate upgrade kit from Coolwind and give that a "whirl" so to speak.

I've not felt this excited to fly something for eons.

For anyone interested I have posted pics of my G2 in the members new models thread if anyone is interested.

Edited by Steve Colman

• 3 months later...

I finally managed to fly my Auto G.

After flying my own autogyros for a while i decided it was time to try again with the Auto G .

I got it secondhand and broken so I fixed it flew it / Crashed it broken the boom, No replacement available due the the Auto G no longer being stocked by HobbyKing .

So i made my own repairs, I glassed over the boom replaced the 9 gram servo for a metal gear servo replaced the motor and made my own motor mount.

It now flies and I can cope with it, I think I will replace the motor as it is not powerful enough at the moment as I need nearly full power just for level flight.

Steve.

• Thanks 1