STOL Zenith ch750

Martian

750-side.jpg

Here is what I propose to build ala mass build STOL

60" wingspan full span fixed slats full span flaperons (junkers style) they will be hinged to be in free air below wing trailing edge ,hopefully the servos will be within fuselage,wing will feature a deep chord and flat bottom,all flying aero fin no seperate rudder and upside down tailplane with roughly 50% elevator area oh and it will be leccy powered 4s lipo not decided on motor yet .build will depend on available funds

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Martyn not to well really I managed to get a chest infection since last posting and have been waking /sleeping for last two weeks getting over it now ,I have tried applying myself to some of the problems I need to overcome and made some templates will take pics and post an update in next couple of days

• 1 month later...

It's been a slow start but I have managed to build 2 wing halves and made a start on 1 slat

below drawing of tail section showing tail formers of 1/64th ply and balsa and a fibre glass sheet insert for the hinge surface,also the L shaped pieces are for the Junkers style flap or in this case flaperon they are made from a laminate of UVPC and 1/64th ply these are mounted in the wing at the trailing edge using a sandwich bond they form part of the flaperon hinge . Also you can see some of the wing ribs using a NACA 65019 profile .

dscf0439.jpg

dscf0441.jpg

top view of fuselage outline

dscf0442.jpg

dscf0444.jpg

side view fuselage and my feet on a chair

dscf0445.jpg

cross section of I beam spar which is 1/16th balsa and depron laminate this is my test spar it turned out really strong.

dscf0447.jpg

more later

a few more pics to bring it up to date

dscf0449.jpg

dscf0448.jpg

dscf0450.jpg

wing root,still undecided on how to join wing to centre section that will be fixed in place on top of cabin which in itself has a lot of glazing and I may have to make a brass tube support any way more thinking to do bottom sheet of wing is not in place yet until joining method is decided.

dscf0456.jpg

start on first slat it's fully built up and will be very light

dscf0457.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slow going but more progress

underside of slat showing formers some of the formers 4 to be exact are doubled this is to provide pockets for the acetate supports

dscf0460.jpg

dscf0463.jpg

Slat underside now planked visible is one of the pockets for the acetate support

dscf0462.jpg

wing leading edge test piece to work out position of slat support

dscf0464.jpg

Slat against the wing leading edge

dscf0465.jpg

This image shows approx gap of wing leading edge and back of slat

dscf0468.jpg

slowly building up a kit of parts ,below is 1 elevator and tailplane half plus wing half and flaperon

dscf0470.jpg

another view of same parts

dscf0471.jpg

slat in place for the pic also flaperon place under trailing edge it will be supported by hanging hinges just like a Junkers flap

dscf0472.jpg

dscf0473.jpg

flaperon profile

dscf0476.jpg

dscf0478.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested here is my latest updates, still intend to finish for Greenacres

I'm building the fuselage in three sections below the rear section into the cave ,I,m using lightweight snakes in a pull pull layout elevator controls will be hidden as per full size and again as full size the rudder controls will be visible

dscf0496.jpg

tailplane and elevator (ignore the purple hue it's as a result of an attempt to use tissue) you can see the elevator hinges are hidden they consist of brass tube built in and a piano wire pin runs right through the connecting points are from glass fibre board as are the control horns.

dscf0495.jpg

this pic shows how the tailplane is mounted about 4mm above the fuselage top supported by 1/32 ply supports, a hollowed strake will hide the upper elevator horn. assembly cannot take place until after the covering.

dscf0497.jpg

dscf0498.jpg

below the other two sections in progress also the power box incorporating motor mount and battery box which will take a 4s lipo..working out the middle section is proving a bit long winded but I'll get there .. more soon

dscf0501.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress

U/C plate 1/8th ply with 1/8th ply backing and a brass bracket for the lower strut support

dscf0503.jpg

dscf0506.jpg

instrument panel and housing/coaming

dscf0507.jpg

instrument panel photo when glued in it will have a perspex cover

dscf0508.jpg

windshield will sit on the coaming and against 1/8th balsa cabin front

dscf0509.jpg

firewall with battery box aperture and nose leg mount

dscf0510.jpg

Nose leg showing brass wheel saddle and ali nose leg with piano wire insert

dscf0511.jpg

ridiculously large wheel 4" lightweight foam

dscf0512.jpg

mid section cabin area on it's gangly bush plane U/C stands about 7/8 inches above ground should put it in the upper atmosphere before it is airborne

dscf0513.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another update although there appears to be no interest ,I am trying to finish this for the RCME Greenacres flyin as it's part of this years mass build.

anyway enough drivel . below are the flaperon support legs

dscf0514.jpg

another view along the length

dscf0515.jpg

wing centre section this will be fixed permanently to the cabin

dscf0516.jpg

side view showing profile and the upvc box section to stop the wing rotating when slid in place

dscf0517.jpg

cabin section fixed in place also rudder and elevator servos in place..motor box/mount fitted and glued now to construct the split cowldscf0519.jpg

dscf0520.jpg

doors made and glazed not sure if I'm going to try to hinge or not may just use servo screws to fix in place

dscf0521.jpg

flaperon servos mounted on ply plate will connect to flaperons via ball joint and rods and a control pin will engage with the flaperon when wing is slid in place (confused so am I ) .plate will be screwed in place for access,there will also be an access plate on the upper fuselage

dscf0522.jpg

ESC mounted underneath the battery box/motor mount

dscf0523.jpg

Great model.

Rest assured there is plenty of interest! However it could be that spacing out the photos etc over a period of time -instead of all at once- would get more 'Latest Posts' slots and a bigger audience. .

Missed some of your updates! Last time I looked the slats were only sheeted on top! surprise

Looks very interesting and quite a nice shape to the fuselage. Looking forward to seeing how you're controlling the slats. I was kind of hoping to get some ideas from other builds for my cub from other cub/stol builds but impatience took over!

Although there doesn't seem to be as much building or interest as last year please keep posting updates & pics. Might not be replying frequently but still following all the 2015 mass builds! yes

Posted by kc on 06/05/2015 17:40:27:

Great model.

Rest assured there is plenty of interest! However it could be that spacing out the photos etc over a period of time -instead of all at once- would get more 'Latest Posts' slots and a bigger audience. .

thanks for advice and comments KC I will try to bring it bang up to date ASAP

Posted by Chris Barlow on 06/05/2015 17:44:37:

Missed some of your updates! Last time I looked the slats were only sheeted on top! surprise

Looks very interesting and quite a nice shape to the fuselage. Looking forward to seeing how you're controlling the slats. I was kind of hoping to get some ideas from other builds for my cub from other cub/stol builds but impatience took over!

Although there doesn't seem to be as much building or interest as last year please keep posting updates & pics. Might not be replying frequently but still following all the 2015 mass builds! yes

Thanks Chris ..the slats are fixed as per the fullsize aircraft in normal level flight they operate as part of the wing but in take of at a high angle of attack they are hugely effective as in landing ,the angle and shape create a venturi so air is forced at high speed over the wing that combined with the full wing flaps allows take of angles of about 30 degrees and take of distance 3 times the length of the plane .do a google of the zenith 701 and 750 .hope that helps

Martian