STOL Zenith ch750

Martian

We shouldn't judge the threads on Modelflying by the number of replies but by the quality of the info!

However it seems to be that constant replies to the info posted gives the thread a life of it's own, and then gets noticed by all forum members. Posting one picture and then another after half an hour or so at peak times seems to get questions or comments and leads to a popular thread! Something like the cliffhanger at the end of each soap opera episode.

Wing covered it's purple I bought this material to make a kite never did it so waste not want not besides it's my wife Karen's favourite colour got to be worth some brownie points. The material is not heavy and is I think polyester with a poly coating making it waterproof and therefore a challenge to fix on ,I had already experimented with a glue/sealer called Modge Podge used in crafting circles and it's brilliant paint it on place material over wing brush out creases or bumps and when dry the material can be ironed heating the glue giving a brilliant bond,anyway here are some pics with the slats covered in solarfilm and temp in place

rubbish picture of end view

dscf0525.jpg

dscf0528.jpg

dscf0529.jpg

It deserves to be a published plan - unusual subject, good size, electric, scale, everything going for it! If you have kept all the part shapes then surely a plan could follow. And there are very few designers publishing now so plenty of opportunity should exist even though there are now only 3 RC magazines in UK shops.

Just make sure you have plenty of good photos taken BEFORE the first flight. ( How many times did even the great Boddo have to admit damage on the first flight - at least several times )

Posted by Martian on 07/05/2015 12:05:59:
Posted by Chris Barlow on 06/05/2015 17:44:37:

Missed some of your updates! Last time I looked the slats were only sheeted on top! surprise

Looks very interesting and quite a nice shape to the fuselage. Looking forward to seeing how you're controlling the slats. I was kind of hoping to get some ideas from other builds for my cub from other cub/stol builds but impatience took over!

Although there doesn't seem to be as much building or interest as last year please keep posting updates & pics. Might not be replying frequently but still following all the 2015 mass builds! yes

Thanks Chris ..the slats are fixed as per the fullsize aircraft in normal level flight they operate as part of the wing but in take of at a high angle of attack they are hugely effective as in landing ,the angle and shape create a venturi so air is forced at high speed over the wing that combined with the full wing flaps allows take of angles of about 30 degrees and take of distance 3 times the length of the plane .do a google of the zenith 701 and 750 .hope that helps

Martian

Yes I tried to make a narrowing venturi type slot on my cubs wing slats too. Don't know if it's going to work on small scale but from the videos I could find on youtube I can see how it's supposed to work.

All being well you should be ready for the maiden well before mine so looking forward to hearing how they perform, hopefully as good as Martyns.

Thanks KC I should point out it is not 100% scale and is a hybrid of the CH701 and CH750 the 750 has a bubble canopy roof and bubble side windows and also extra cabin windows a lot of extra work and poss additional weight. I also used the extra wing span and wing area from the 750 fuselage length is slightly increased at the tail end and engine cowling is about an 1" longer to accommodate the lipo size there is a wide variation on engine cowling dependant on engine used and whims of kitplane builders ,if this prototype is successful then I may think about concentrating on a particular plane that is UK based and hopefully get more accurate details, I have to assess how well the weight distribution is placed because the servos occupy the seat area anyway enough now here's some more pics Oh and thank you Chris

cabin strengthening bars brass tube and cowl roughed out

dscf0530.jpg

below at bottom edge I got the bottom side profile shape wrong and had to build up with balsa and lightweight filler

dscf0531.jpg

old credit or gift cards make excellent filler spreaders

dscf0532.jpg

dscf0534.jpg

paint on ,didn't fancy trying to cover that area with solarfilm it would have involved lots of burns

dscf0535.jpg

cooling air intake as per full size will direct air over the ESC

dscf0537.jpg

dummy exhausts will allow some of the warm air out the rest can find it's way past lipo box into cabin area

dscf0538.jpg

that's all for now but not much more to do more paint /finish covering/fit uc components and oversized wheels /fit rudder and tailplane/fit wing centre section /test fly and crash

• 2 weeks later...

All but complete just a few minor things like struts /ae / flap linkages check CG ,it's finished hefty at 6lbs and nose heavy mind you that is with a 4s lipo and beefy motor checked on watt meter it gives about 600/700 watts with a 14x6 prop

here,s some pics

dscf0546.jpg

dscf0547.jpg

dscf0549.jpg

dscf0550.jpg

dscf0551.jpg

dscf0552.jpg

• 1 year later...