OZ Funfighter P51 Mustang

Rosco

Hi all,

This thread may be a little bit premature as I won't be starting the build for a little while but because I've put it here now, it's a reason to get on with it so the show must go on yes

I am looking forwards to joining the group build as I am a reader of RCM&E and I have read about the build before so am glad to finally join in albeit from Australia.

So............

I have decided to build the Ton Van Munsteren P51B Mustang that was offered as a free plan in the mag. I have had several Mustang models in the past and all have flown well, therefore it was a no brainer although I must admit, there were several other models I was considering too, a scratchbuilt P40 KittyHawk was at the top of the list, maybe even a Zero!

I settled on Ton' Mustang because I've seen it fly and I have a plan to follow, well......I tell a lie.....I'm going to do some modifications, but I will be trying to stay true to his plan where I can smiley

Like I say, I've announced it now so I will have to commit. The build will most likely be slow so I apologize in advance if it seems to drag on...........so

...........until I start,

Happy Building all,

Rosco from OZ beer

Apologies, typo error in the OP. I meant P51D not P51B blush

I thought it appropriate to finish it in an Australian scheme. I found this one which I like. The Sharksmouth drew me to it ,which is why I really wanted to build a P40, so I can have my cake and eat it too yes

p51d mustang 2015 mass build#1.jpg

p51d mustang 2015 mass build.jpg

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 03/01/2015 11:37:25

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all smiley

Apologies as this build still has not started but I am trying to finish of another before starting on this one.

For anyone who may be interested, it is Mr Ashby' Eager Beaver: 

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=97948&p=1

Anyway.............

I've had a few thoughts on how I will be doing this Mustang build and although I will be following the plan, it will have some modifications to its construction.

some if my ideas......

I will be only 'D' boxing the wing as I will be covering it with film only.

The tail surfaces will be of 'frame' stlye construction as opposed to full sheet.

The Fuselage will also have more 'framework".

I might add retracts (as I have a set from a previous model Mustang) but will wait and see

Mainly, I am trying to keep it fairly lightweight and will not be doing the full sheet/glass covering as per the original. I am also trying to work with parts that I have laying around therefore I am trying to keep this a cheap build without the need to purchase any more accessories unless I absolutely have to.......

furthermore, I just intend to have fun building yes

Sorry there are no pics yet but they will come.

Rosco smiley

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 18/01/2015 11:02:05

• 1 month later...

Finally I got a start today smiley

Its not much but it's a start!

As I mentioned before, I will be following Ton's plan loosely but adding my own touch to it. I have started by photocopying the tail and modifying it to be built as a frame rather than a single sheet as per the plan. At this stage it is a bit of an experiment but I can't see why it will not work. My plan is to make a majority of the framework from 5mmx10mm strips. I'm hoping to build the fuselage in a similar manner, all in the name of trying to keep it lightweight as I don't plan on sheeting it.

The great wall of China started with one brick so, here is the start..................yes

You can see where I have drawn a framework over the photocopy. This will be how I plan on building it.

dsc_0037.jpg

Rosco

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 20/02/2015 09:47:14

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I got a start on the wing today. I have cut the ribs and spars but may add some strengthening because of my intention to cover it with film instead of balsa sheet.

Whilst I have been cutting the parts I have been considering if I will have the ailerons as per the original plan or if I will run thinner full span ailerons along the TE? I have a Super Chipmunk that has the full span ailerons and it flies quite well. The other reason being that in an effort to keep it lightweight, I would like to use a single servo. We'll see......?

Anyhow..... I also tried a different method of transferring parts from plan to balsa. I tried using photocopied parts transferred by heat to the balsa. This method only works with ink from an inkjet printer but it did test my patience and melted my covering iron!

Basically the copied part is layed inkside down on the balsa and 'ironed' on. It works but I found it not to be as easy as it sounds.

Pic's later.......

Rosco

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 03/03/2015 23:05:49

Here are a couple of pics.......

A photocopied cutout of a wing rib. Unfortunately because I need two, I needed two photocopies because after ironing it on once, the ink transferred across becomes almost non existent the more times it is used.

The other issue is holding the paper in place. If it moves during the ironing, so does the line!

I also found the balsa warping a little after applying the heat from the iron but I was surprised how well it actually transfers across if you get it right. The pic is of my first attempt but subsequent attempts got a better outline laid.

img_20150304_062901.jpg

My wing ribs and spars......

dsc_0112.jpg

Rosco

Hello all smiley

Today I started to put the wing together.

I am still having some thoughts about how it will end up and what exactly I will be doing.

I dummied up some retracts but I'm not going to use them. I had intended to only use a single servo for the ailerons but it looks like I will go with two separate servos and I'm going to add some flaps just for fun yes

Hopefully I can get a bit more done tomorrow............till then, here's some more pics.

Wing ribs, spars and false leading edge glued up....

dsc_0126.jpg

As per Ton's plan.......so far wink

dsc_0128.jpg

Rosco

Hi all....

After todays effort, the wing now has ailierons and flaps. I have started to sheet the control surfaces. I will be 'D' boxing the front section, capping the ribs and sheeting the ailerons and flaps. Pictures speak a thousand words so here you go...... smiley

I'm still following Ton's basic plan as you can see. Because I have added the flaps, the rear longeron ( I don't really know what its called!) spans all the way across the wing, whereas originally, only the aileron had the longeron to hinge into....

dsc_0127.jpg

The ailerons and flaps were made as one piece to be separated before sheeting. The longeron needed to be sanded to the correct profile first so I pinned the two pieces together and sanded them to shape, then added the rib extensions and separated the alierons from the flaps....

dsc_0129.jpg

The lower sheeting added to the control surfaces. I don't have enough balsa sheet to 'D' box the front so I started on the other bits!.....

dsc_0130.jpg

I couldn't resist pinning the flaps in a down position just for a look!.....

dsc_0134.jpg

Next is to fit something for the servo's to fit into and finish the sheeting. I will be using the covering film for hinges and need to sand the ailerons to suit. The flaps only need to hinge from the bottom so when they are up, there should be no gap. I need to make some tips up and add the strengthening gussets. Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Untll next time.......

Happy building yes

Rosco

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 08/03/2015 11:35:21

Cheers John, a 'Spar' will do then. perhaps a rear Spar in this case wink

Yes, I'm trying to keep the weight down and have been caught out in the past adding bits and pieces that proved unnecessary.

'Build it to fly, Not to crash' was something I heard somewhere and have run with it ever since.

A bit off topic but I once built a balsa P51D Mustang, that I enlarged from the original plan. It was intended to be a free flight model but I just added some electrics to it for some enjoyment as an RC model. I built it exactly as per the plan and on its maiden, it actually flew - bar requiring some trimming, very well but unfortunately due to restricted space, I powered off and it crashed, with very little damage mind you.

My biggest regret after that was unnecessarily rebuilding it and adding a bit of strengthening here, some there and a bit somewhere else. It only served to add weight and the next time it flew, it was a completely different 'heavy' model that hit the ground twice as hard and was destroyed........ angry.........since following the 'Build it to fly, Not to crash' mantra, I have always had decent flying models that I have built cool

Here is a clip of its maiden (pardon the language at the end!).......

Rosco

Back to the regular programme then....................

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 08/03/2015 12:12:42

Edited By Ross Piantedosi on 08/03/2015 12:27:44

G'day all again,

So.......back to building for a couple of hrs this morning.

I've almost got the wing completed except for the sheeting and the tips.

Seeing as though I can't get any more balsa today, I thought I'd consider my options about building the fuselage and sat down for a little thinking session!

Ton's plan has the framework skinned but as you would know, I am intending on covering using film so mine will end up slightly different.

My intention is to keep it simple and just build a box style fuselage. I will have some lightening holes cut out and have a former/bulkhead or three but I will be trying to keep it simple. The other difference is that it will lose some of its 'roundness' but I will still be attempting to keep a little shape to the fuze.
It will still look like a Mustang when it's finished, that's the important part.

Now.....time to see when I can get some more balsa!

Rosco

Hi all again!

I've started on the fuselage. As I mentioned before, I am building the fuze based on Ton's plan albeit using stringers and bracing/crossmembers instead of using bulkheads/formers, with the intention to cover with film, not sheet balsa................

Here is the start of my fuselage. You can see above my balsa frame, the plan has a 'spine' piece. I have just built up a frame as opposed to a single sheet 'spine'. I glued the end of the balsa together and pinned it down to the plan and followied the outside curves as best as possible.....

img_20150312_062714.jpg

For those that don't know, Ton's plan calls for the fuselage to be built in two pieces - a top and a bottom. Where the framework sits on the plan is where the top and bottom are separated. I will most likely sheet the turtledeck and the nose with some thin balsa just to get a nice curve on top, other than that, the rest of the fuselage will be of an open framework style.....

img_20150312_062848.jpg

If you look closely, you can see how my framework will continue for the fuselage instead of having bulkheads/formers.....

dsc_0149.jpg

I will need to have a solid firewall to mount the engine to but other than that, the bottom half of the fuselage will all be of a framework nature.....

dsc_0147.jpg

The other difference will be that the original plan calls for a battery to be inserted under the nose where as I will be modifying the model to accept a battery from the top.

To add some strength to the frame, I am using 6.5mm thick balsa for the majority of the framework.

smiley

Rosco

Thankyou for the comments guys yes

So...........today I've continued on the fuze, not much but it is slowly, slowly progressing .

I started to 'fill in' the rear section of the fuze. I am still trying to keep it light and I'm still following Ton's plan.

One thing I keep having to hold myself back from is adding un-necessary brackets and gussets. The frame as is can be twisted slightly but I can feel the stifness also. I am happy with it's strength so far and have to keep telling myself to leave it alonesurprise

Once it is covered, it will hold itself together a little more also.

My intention is to make the belly scoop from some sheet as opposed to building it up in 'frame' form. It will benefit from a little more strength in the belly scoop area as it will be a belly lander.

That's it for now, maybe some more tomorrow?

As usual..........here's some pics smiley

My 'frame work' fuze on top of Ton's plan. I have put the frame work in the same areas as Ton's plan has the formers (like I say, I am still following the plan albeit slightly different).....

fuze#1.jpg

Same concept, just from a slightly different angle. You can see the frame work following the plan a little better.....

fuze#2.jpg

Fuze without the distraction of the plan!

fuze.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some time tomorrow............till then,

Rosco smiley

Thanks Ton, hopefully I won't let you down blush

So back to it then.......

I have an old canopy from a P51D model that fits perfectly, both physical size measurements and size according to the plan! It is sourced from the 1100mm HK Durafly model (which may help if anyone is building another)

I spent some time creating a base for it so that I can fit it onto the frame and then have the turtle deck flow into it. I have not really achieved alot more on the wing but this is because I have been thinking about how to mount it a little bit differently to Ton's plan. My thoughts were to have it mount via nylon bolts from the front and from within the fuze and locate at the rear via a locating pin/s or tounge and slot. I'm still thinking about that one.

Anyhow......as I always think pictures better explain my build or any build for that matter..........here they are.........smiley

Bottom of the bellyscoop will remain open, only covered by film (to keep it light) but the part under the wing will have a soild base.....

dsc_0160.jpg

Side view of Fuze and beginnings of the turtle deck formers and the belly scoop.....

dsc_0153.jpg

Canopy and base (which I might end up lightening by removing some of the sheet balsa 'cockpit' floor )........

dsc_0154.jpg

Canopy on the base. If I remove any of the sheet balsa 'cockpit' floor then I will leave enough to fit a pilot onto but otherwise it will all be open.....

dsc_0155.jpg

Canopy on the base and sitting on the Fuze in its location. Note the turtle deck formers.....

dsc_0157.jpg

I couldn't resist putting it on with the wings and tail just to have a look. (It may look funny because the wings dont have thae ailerons or flaps attatched).....

dsc_0159.jpg

Until next time

Rosco smiley

Hello all again smiley

I do apologize if this build seems to be taking forever and my progress is slow but I get limited time to work on it and I do spend alot of time thinking about some things rather than just getting stuck into it sometimes but anyway........

I have now roughly got the front done. I say roughly because I had to stray from Ton's plan a little. Because I have not used formers and wont have a 'skin' of balsa to form a nice rounded fuze, my framework is a bit more 'squarish' therefore making the transition from the more 'round' spinner end to the square frame is a bit tricky but it is possible indecision

I will have some roundness to my model but nowhere near what it is supposed to be. I was thinking of using a foam plug to get the under nose section as per Ton's plan but ended up just going with what I did. It is not as finessed as it could be but it will work and will still give it a Mustang look, after all, it is not a scale model and I can sand the balsa a little bit. I'm not concerned that it is not quite right but it will be functional with a scoop under the spinner. I have noted that in the thread for this model, some have had canopies blow off because of a hole in the scoop below the spinner but I reckon I'll be ok yes

I have started to make a frame to build a hatch for battery placement from the top. You can see it in the pics. It will not be the whole upper nose section that comes off but it will be a fair bit of it.

So............ carrying on then......... I have still to fit a firewall within the fuze and I am still trying to stick with keeping it light and not adding bits where they are not needed. Trust me, I have to keep reminding myself that it dosen't really need to have gussets and bracing all over the place!

K.I.S.S smiley.....build it to fly, not to crash.

Again, like always, pics explain it better................

Side on picture of the nose made up. Not sanded to any real shape yet but it will have a slight roundness to it once finished....

fuze nose sideon.jpg

An under shot of the nose. It is obviously alot wider than what the plan has or what a real life Mustang would have but I'm not too concerned and it will still look like a mustang anyway. The important part me thinks is that the fuselage still has that sleek flow-on from the base of the spinner and it still does even though it is slightly different to the plan.....

fuze underneath.jpg

Here's a shot showing the framework of my intended removable upper nose/cowl for battery insertion. If you look inside the canopy, you can see that I have also removed some of the base for lightening but will have a pilot in there.....

fuze nose.jpg

Just to finish off my thoughts..... I mentioned a pilot. All planes need a pilot......aaaargh.......nothing irks me more than a pilotless model angry In my case, I do have a pilot figure but I most likely will go with my standard weight saving technique of making a profile pilot up to fit under the canopy.

Until next time, hopefully soon....

Rosco yes

Hello all,

Today I have attempted to roughly sand the fuselage to flow from the spinner in the 'sleek' streamlined way that it is supposed to. Because of the more square nose it is not perfect but it does have a little streamlined look to it.

I have also redone the canopy section by removing the 'floor' that I had made and will either glue or screw the canopy to the fuselage. I ended up doing this because I wasn't happy with how the canopy was sitting on the fuze. It seemed to sit a little higher than I liked once I dummied up the turtledeck and the cowl.

Sorry, no pics today but I thought I'd just post an update anyway.

I hope all are enjoying my build even if it is a bit slow and here there and everywhere!

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 26/03/2015 10:10:59

Hi Chris, thanks for that.
To be honest, I am planning on using a profile pilot, again, all in the name of keeping things light.....I'm even flying one of my models! I just took a side on picture of myself and scaled it down to size and then laminated it.... I have used this method for many of my planes.

Rosco

Hi all,

Just a little bit more.

I have sheeted the turtledeck and started on mounting the wing. I've ended up starting to mount it as per Ton's plan instead of trying to do it my own way. I figure that if it works for him, then it is going to work for me! yes

Not much to say really so here are some more pics.....

Here is my nose job! it dosen't look like alot but it does have some streamlining happening!.....

dsc_0163.jpg

Before sheeting the turtledeck.....

dsc_0164.jpg

After sheeting.....

dsc_0165.jpg

With the tail so I could get the vertical stabiliser strake lower angle right.....

dsc_0166.jpg

Strake added.....

dsc_0167.jpg

Starting to look good....

dsc_0169.jpg

Another pic to give you a 'progress so far' shot.....

dsc_0170.jpg

Rosco smiley