OZ Funfighter P51 Mustang

Rosco

Thanks guys smiley

Nice to know someone out there is interested too!

Ton, I'll keep the pics coming as often as I can. I actually prefer pics to reading about what someone has done so more pics there will be yes

Just some thoughts so far.............

I am quite happy with how it is coming along, albeit slowly. I have the electrics for it but the only problem is that they are on another model. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to send that model to plane heaven because it is starting to have repairs on top of repairs and I have had my fun flying it - A Parkzone T28D Trojan.

I keep looking at the wing and thinking about covering it without the 'D' boxing but two things come to mind, one is that I don't want to have the 'starved horse ribs' look to the wing and the other is the strength of it without the 'D' boxing.......?

I am hoping to have the wing mounting completed by my next post and possibly some more done to get the wing much closer to being finished.

I still need to fit a firewall/bulkhead where the motor will mount and once I pull the electrics out of the Trojan, I will make a start on that. I also need to work out where my hatch will be for battery insertion.

Until then......

Rosco

Hi all again!

This is a bit off topic and a bit removed from my build but I thought I'd share it anyway!

.....As I mentioned in my previous post, I will be using the electrics from another model that has served me well but will now become a donor..... however, being the person I am, I hate throwing away things that still work...and... No I am not a hoarder!
I suspect that most in this hobby are the same... so,getting on with it....the thing I enjoy about this hobby is that the sky is the limit (pardon the pun..) and for a modifier like myself, I cannot help myself when it comes to straying a little from the plan/idea to make it different but still the same.
After a think this morning, I am happy to announce that my Trojan will not retire but be used for an experiment. I am going to try and turn it into an EDF Trojan so it appears to be a win, win situation. I love it.

So what was the point of all my ramble I hear you say?....well....nothing really but as long as you are enjoying yourself in this hobby then keep at it. Some may say we are just big kids playing with toys but I say as long as you are enjoying it and it makes you smile, who cares.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 31/03/2015 00:12:23

Thanks Tony.

Yep, EDF Trojan. I had a look on YouTube and saw that one had been attempted (after posting my idea) but with a different concept to what I had in mind.

Picture a Mig 15 with a Trojan airframe. That's the idea I've got in my head. We'll see.....anyhow, back to my Stang....

Rosco

Ps. I hate how I can't add smileys to my posts from my phone.

Back to the programme..... smiley

G'day all,

I think I may have shot myself in the foot! I'm not 100% sure at this stage but it seems my effort to keep the model light may have backfired surprise

I have added the motor mount and glued it in place. It still needs some support pieces glued in but I have run out of glue! I thought that the motor would be about right but it may infact be a little heavy. Like I say, it is early days but hopefully come closer to completion, all will be ok.

I have sheeted the control surfaces and the top 'D' section of the wing. Unfortunately I have run out of balsa sheet for the bottom because I used part of it for the turtledeck, leaving myself short for the wing sad

Again, sorry for the pics that seem to show little progress but every little bit counts.......

Here you go Ton, more pics, just the way I like it too yes.........

Motor mounted but possibly to heavy (3536 from Durafly Mustang).....

dsc_0172.jpg

Top section of the 'D'boxing done but I need more sheet to complete the bottom.....

dsc_0173.jpg

Ailerons and Flaps after gluing the top sheet.....

dsc_0174.jpg

Not quite finished wing....

dsc_0175.jpg

Rosco smiley

Thanks for the kind words guys yes

Ron, yes its looking that way so I might have to find myself a smaller motor if need be. I'll have to revisit it again when I start nearing completion, after all, I can swap the motor anytime really smiley

Ton, Thanks, I really do appreciate your comments yes

Tony, Thanks also, I'm thining about weather or not to to cover it in a shiny aluminium covering or a plain silver. I've done a shiny one before and it does look pretty speccy cool

So......back to it then...........

Before I did anything today, I thought I'd weigh the model as it is now. I weighed it as you see it in my last post picture and it came in at 415g (14.6oz). I was surprised to find it was lighter than I thought it would be!

I did some work on the wing and its mounting. The pics that I have taken may not look like I have done much more but most of the things have just been finishing off touches and some sanding here and there. I still need to complete the bottom sheeting and make up some wing tips. I have capped the tops of the ribs and so now the top of the wing is done, bar some sanding just to finish it off. I will cap the bottom of the ribs when I have done the 'D' boxing sheeting.

The wing mounting is almost done. I can actually screw it on now but it is a temporary thing. My plan is to be able to screw the wing mounting bolt from the inside of the fuse so that there are no holes underneath the belly.

All my control surfaces are complete and I will be using strip of the covering film as a hinge for all of them.

As usual, here are some more progress pics..............smiley

The weigh in before I did anything today.....

dsc_0173#.jpg

Top of the wing completed.....

dsc_0179#.jpg

Another angle. You can see my rib capping and a quick sanding has been done just to neaten the edges. I still need to make some tips up and add a leading edge....

dsc_0180#.jpg

If you look inside the Fuze, you can see how I have the wing mounted. It is as Ton's plan suggests but I have moved the rear mounting further in than the plan as I felt that mounting it from the rear section of the wing was not strong enough in my models case so I beefed up a section further in to accept a mounting bolt/screw. I ultimately want to be able to access the bolt/screw from the top, to avoid any holes in the bottom (because it needs to go through the belly scoop).....

dsc_0174#.jpg

A close up to give you a better view from inside the fuze (the gap in the front sheeting is there because I will be adding a piece to align the front of the wing accurately).....

dsc_0175#.jpg

Flaps down!!......Here you can see where the 'D' boxing has to be finished under the wing.....

dsc_0176#.jpg

This is the screw that is holding the wing on at the moment. I will just be inserting it so that it comes from the inside of the fuze instead, and then screw into a blind nut hidden by the belly scoop.....

dsc_0178#.jpg

I am quite happy with how the build is coming along so far even if it is slow! I seem to be at that point where things are coming together and all the little bits and pieces are now starting to create the big picture.

Once again, thanks for the kind comments guys smiley

Rosco beer

Thanks Ron, much appreciated comments.

The span according to Ton's plan is 1136mm.

Nup, I would say bonnet though some here might say hood!........

So tonight while I am waiting to get some more balsa sheet to finish the wing, I thought I'd make a start on the thing that makes the Mustang most recognizable, the belly scoop.

Unfortunately I cannot post pics from my phone but I will post some when I able too.

I have 'solidified' the scoop for a better word, compared to the rest of the fuze because it will be landing on it.
I have laminated some thick and thin sheets together to give it a solid belly to land on. At the moment the scoop is looking a bit shabby because it needs a sand but once the glue has dried tomorrow, hopefully I can get stuck into it with some sandpaper and smooth it out.

Sorry again, no pics now but they will come!

Until then, happy building,

Rosco

Hello again!

Happy Easter to all.

Here is a bit more progress. Bottom of wing is done. Belly scoop is 90% finished. Wing needs tips and a LE. I'm up in the air (pardon the pun) about leaving the wing with a straight LE or adding the little bumps where it comes out from the fuze?

Anyway, here's some pics...............

Belly scoop before sanding.....

dsc_0175#3.jpg

Belly scoop Pre sanding in situ on wing. Note the wing has not been finished in this pic.....

dsc_0172#1.jpg

Side on view.....

dsc_0174#2.jpg

Belly scoop roughly sanded and in situ. Note wing is sheeted, capped and just about done.....

dsc_0176#4.jpg

Close up of the scoop.....

dsc_0177#5.jpg

Front view. I don't know if I will blank it off or keep it functional yet?.....

dsc_0178#6.jpg

Side on view after rough sanding.....

dsc_0179#7.jpg

Rosco smiley

Edited By Rosco on 05/04/2015 02:00:55

G'day all,

Well honestly, I haven't had much time over the last few days but I did get about an hour in somewhere! blush

Ironically, I have been thinking about my modifications to the Trojan a bit more too surprise and turning it into an EDF might warrant another thread somewhere but I'll consider that when I get to it......anyways, back to the Stang.

Like I say, not much to report. I made some small extensions that give the wing a bit of transition from the underside of the nose join and I've added some pieces to strengthen the wing mount. I also did an extremely small amount of sanding to get the wing to seat a little better. Not much but fingers crossed, I will get some more done soon.

My next plan is to add the electrics and work out the balance because I need to install a battery tray but I'm not 100% sure on where it will fit at the moment. Once I have worked that out, I can finish the front hatch also.

Here are some pics but, nothing to get excited about........

Sanding the wing seat for a better fit. I put some tape on the top of the wing and a bit of sandpaper inbetween the wing seat and the wing, tighten the wing screw mount up enough to be tight but loose enough to allow the sandpaper to be slid back and fourth.....

wing seat sanding.jpg

A little strengthening of the wing front mount by adding another piece to 'laminate' the mounting 'slot' hole. It is now a nice snug fit for the 'tongue'. I made a boo boo here. I intended to run the grain across the underlying piece' grain but after I had tacked it on with CA it was too late so I just had to go with it. I'm sure it will be OK.....

wing mount.jpg

The small filler piece to continue the under nose section wing transition.....

wing gusset#1.jpg

Side on transition piece.....

wing gusset.jpg

Sorry, not much but enough to keep it slowly ticking along. Hopefully some more soon......

Rosco smiley

........Back again yes

It always amazes me how sometimes just doing one thing can bring a model to life! I managed to get a hatch made today and it has added another dimension to the model. I still dont know if it will actually be used for battery insertion but I just made it anyway.

I'm almost there but there are a few things still to be done. I still need to make a LE and wing tips for the wing. I also still need to make some holes for the servo wiring and then the wing should be done.

The fuze is almost done bar a battery tray. I really need to fit it out with the electrics to work out where the battery will sit. I still think the 3536 motor is quite heavy and I might fit a smaller motor in it. It actually seems quite light to the feel but I will give it a proper weigh soon.

Anyway.......Pics....

The hatch.....

hatch#1.jpg

Hatch closed.....

hatch.jpg

Nearly there.....Top view.....

img_20150410_155424.jpg

A few different angles.....

img_20150410_155323.jpg

img_20150410_155352.jpg

img_20150410_155459.jpg

I got carried away and didn't take any bottom pics!

Rosco smiley

Edited By Rosco on 10/04/2015 12:10:19

Sorry, no pics today.
I have finished the wing now. All it needs is a light sanding once I've finished the rest of the model.

The fuze is 90% done. I still need to add a battery tray and some where to mount the rudder and elevator servos. Until I have fitted it out with the electrics, I don't know where the battery needs to be to balance it out so I should be getting to that soon.

I also gave the parts a weigh. The whole lot minus the chunky motor came out at 310g although there are a still the other parts that I mentioned that need to be added.

I'm in two frames of mind with the covering. I don't know if I'll use some shiny chrome coloured stuff or a plain silver?.... The chrome stuff does look pretty good though...
Hmmmmm.

Sorry again, no pics from today.

Until next time time,

Rosco

Hi all,

I couldn't help myself blush

I had some Chrome Profilm laying around from another project so I had to try a bit on the wing and it now looks like I'm going with the Chrome covering..........surprise

It looks good but it has some downfalls too. It shows up EVERYTHING! It can discolour slightly if too much heat is applied and it scratches and creases easily too..........but..........at a few feet, it is still shiny yes

I had an issue with my covering iron during my last build - it partially melted at the handle where it joins to the base, so I tried a domestic household iron. It did the job but it was a bit of overkill and didn't work well when it came to the 'finness' side of covering so I'll see if my proper iron will still do the job without melting..........indecision.........fingers crossed.

Anyway, I'm stuck with the Chrome finish now so here's some pics....................

Note the fine scratches.........unavoidable.......but still shiny!.............

dsc_0193.jpg

It shows up everything, no matter how good you think the wood finish is............but still shiny!.........

dsc_0190.jpg

Big hole in the middle will be covered. I made several attempts with the domestic iron but I couldn't get it right so I'll have to try with the proper covering iron....................still shiny though!...............

dsc_0191.jpg

At $30 for 3m of Chrome Profilm from my regular Hobby Shop/s, it is a bit of a rip off considering I was going to use the $15 for 5m (but just plain Silver) from HK but I'm stuck with it now and it really does look good, even if it does have some minor blemishes.........I just need to get some more now, to cover the rest sad

Cheers,

Rosco