OZ Funfighter P51 Mustang

Rosco

Thanks guys.

Ron, apparently not, according to the hobby shop fella. I did ask. I didn't seem to have any problems with the other model.

John, I like your style. Weathering it is then.

Unfortunately I was only able to do half the wing top because my proper covering iron didn't like the heat and decided not to play fair. It was much easier to use than the domestic iron though but I may have to go back to using the domestic one if I want to finish the covering......oh well.

Till next time

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 18/04/2015 07:51:33

Sorry, no building today but a few thoughts I've been having....

I am a little disappointed in the way the chrome has come out on the wing so far. It's only early days and I'm sure it will look ok but I can't help thinking I've ruined a good thing.

I really need to get the electrics sorted. Without having them dry fitted, I have no hope of getting it finished because I still need to glue a few more things in place.

I'm a bit annoyed about my covering iron and I might have to work out a fix for it. Using the domestic iron is like trying to undo a 6mm nut with a big shifting spanner. It works but is a bit of overkill.

I have also had the usual problem of fitting the covering around the tips and as I was using an old piece, amount of wastage was at a minimum therefore I only just had enough to hold onto to pull and shrink but it doesn't look good so I'll have to rethink that again too.

Anyway, other things to do today so happy building to all. Until next time..... Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 19/04/2015 01:37:29

Hi all,

Good news is that I fixed my proper covering iron, although in truth......it was a pain in the butt. This means that I can use it to finish off the covering. Bad news is that I need to get some more covering and this might take a little while frown

Anyhow, not much has changed other than I have covered the main wing section and only just had enough covering to do one Aileron and Flap.

As mentioned, I still need to sort some stuff out with the fuze but it is just about completed otherwise.

Here's some pics..............

Top of wing done. Obviously I still need to do the tips.........

dsc_0198a.jpg

Bottom of wing............

dsc_0197a.jpg

I couldn't resist the temptation to fit it up............

dsc_0191a.jpg

dsc_0192a.jpg

Rosco smiley

Latest update......

Call me crazy, call me mad but I made a decision today not to continue with the chrome covering.

Although it was looking reasonable, there was something not quite right about the chrome covering that bothered me..... I don't know what it was, it just wasn't right for some reason?

So.....
I was standing in the hobby shop and I did it. Instead of purchasing a roll of chrome, I got silver instead!

The wing is stripped and I've given it a sand. I couldn't be bothered starting the covering today so I might start tomorrow if I get a chance.

So that's it. It's going to be silver.

Rosco

Hi all,

What can I say other than.... aaaaaaarrrrrrggghh!

I've got no one to blame other than myself!

Today, I started covering the wing. I got one half of the bottom done and started on the other half. All was going well up until I got to the last bit of joining it in the middle...... Bugger.....it was short by a mm.

I could not be any closer yet so far away. It was enough to stop me from being able to shrink it because it had nothing to hold onto. If it was short on a solid base I could have covered it but it was short on the edge of an open frame.

I spent alot of time trying to get another piece to fit without looking ugly but I just couldn't seem to do it. I don't want to waste the covering film trying to patch up stuff so I'm not happy.

It still looks ugly but I thought it best to put it away and come back to it another day.

I did attempt to cover it by drawing some panel lines ontop and I might just get away with it if I do that when it's finished.

Anyway, Sorry, I just needed to have a rant because I'm a bit cheesed off with myself.

Until next time,

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 28/04/2015 16:15:52

Hi all,

So......

I've been sitting on it (not literally cheeky) ....my frustrations..... for a week now. I must say that after looking at the covering after not looking for a week has made me feel better about it. I still wish it was better in a few areas but I need to suck it up and get on with it.

After covering the wing, I took to it with a fine tipped texta and have drawn some panel lines on it. It will suffice.

It has taken on a little bit of the 'starved horse' look around the wing ribs but I expected it with the open frame structure and in hindsight, sheeting the wing would not have added much more weight at all....not to worry, I'm sure it will still work as it's meant to!

Don't worry about the wing tips in the pics, I've nearly torn all my hair out trying to get them right and I may just end up solidifying the tips?

Any how, enough blabber, on with the pics................

Bottom of wing , the uncovered front centre section needed a piece to fill it in because I just couldn't get the film to look right.....

dsc_0231.jpg

Panel lines drawn on......

dsc_0233.jpg

Top of wing with panel lines drawn on.....

dsc_0234.jpg

I had to fit it up for a look.....

from the bottom.....

dsc_0236.jpg

From the top.....

dsc_0237.jpg

It will look better once the control surfaces are done - Hopefully by the next post yes

Till then,

Rosco smiley

Hello all,

As promised, wing with control surfaces......

Top.....

dsc_0239.jpg

Bottom (I will be redoing the tips!).....

dsc_0240.jpg

On the fuze.....

dsc_0241.jpg

dsc_0243.jpg

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere again yes

The problem I have now is that I need to be very stringent on my usage of the covering film frown I don't have any spare for stuff ups. It actually cost me $30 for only 2 meters worth, not 3 like I previously mentioned angry

I hope you are all enjoying my build so far, even if it seems a bit repetitive.

Cheers beer

Rosco

Thanks guys.

Ian, glad you are enjoying it. I was starting to feel the build was getting a bit boring to onlookers.

Ron, don't look to close at the covering! I'm only just barely satisfied with it. I rekon it would've come out better if I had sheeted it. I have to be a bit tight (pun intended) with the remaining covering and keep my excess to a minimum so I might end up with burnt fingers too!

Chris, thanks, I'm flattered that it is inspiring you to get a build going. It's a while off a maiden but I will post a vid when done.

Thanks again fellas

Rosco

Posted by john stones 1 on 09/05/2015 13:17:40:

Nice panel lines Rosco what do you draw them with and will it stand up to being cleaned ?

John

Thanks John smiley

Panel lines are just done with a fine tipped permanent texta (sharpie). Cleaning should be ok provided I don't use anything that will remove permanent texta! cheeky

Rosco

I've never heard of the soldering iron one before but I have heard of the travel iron. Thanks for that ot.

I have managed to fix my proper covering iron sufficiently so that should keep me covering!

I have started covering the tail and have my electrics put aside to fit into the fuze. I will finish covering the tail surfaces and then sort out the fuze internals before covering that.

The problem I have at the moment with the electrics is that I have managed to make it so light that my motor is giving it way too much nose weight and the battery needs to sit almost in the tail to balance it and that is with my heaviest battery! I may need a smaller motor. Stay tuned......Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 11/05/2015 00:31:48

Hooray........... beer

laugh I've finally moved on from the wing (although I still need to do the tips! crying)

I started to cover the tail today. I also started to fit in the electrics and I now need to find a motor a bit smaller. I have some motors in my parts box but I'm not sure if they will suit this model. I'll wait and see what the AUW is looking like its coming to and then I'll decide.

I have 'dry' fitted some servos for the tail surfaces control and run linkages to the tail. If you hadn't realised, my model will be using rudder control.

Again.....it's amazing what some panel lines can do to a covered bit of balsa yes

I didn't achieve as much as I would have liked today but at least I have moved on from the wing....for now!

I'm being pretty tight with the covering (pun intended smiley) and cannot afford much excess, if any, so it's getting tricky in some areas and wastage is not an option. I hope I have enough to finish it frown

Anyway, here's a few pics of the progress today.........

Horiz stab sanded and elevator halves joined via bamboo skewer glued in!.............

dsc_#0237.jpg

Halves glued and ready for covering. I'm using covering film for the hinge.....

dsc_#0238.jpg

Covered but looking a bit boring.....

dsc_#0239.jpg

Some panel lines to make it look a bit better.....

dsc_#0240.jpg

Rudder and Elevator servos.....

dsc_#0241.jpg

Linkages to tail.....

dsc_#0242.jpg

Linkage guides to stop some flexing.....

dsc_#0244.jpg

The linkages will just slide out the side of the covering but there are some relief slots to make their exit point a bit neater.....

dsc_#0247.jpg

I couldn't resist fitting up the tail for a look!.....

dsc_#0245.jpg

Another angle.....

dsc_#0248.jpg

Until next time...........

Roscoyes

Hi all smiley

I had more written out but accidentally closed the tab and lost it all surprise I can't be bothered writing it all out again and I'm tired so here are todays pics................

dsc_#10239.jpg

dsc_#10242.jpg

dsc_#10244.jpg

Last pic is with most of the parts bar the wing servos, some odds and sods and the battery. It also has the Heavy motor within so perhaps a smaller lighter motor will work?

Rosco yes

Thanks John.

Ron, I have the standard collection of 2200mah 3s.

I mentioned before about the location of the battery to balance it with the 3536 motor. Interesting that I can only recall only one other model that I have built being nose heavy! I don't want to have the battery sitting up near the tail so the only solution I can think of is putting as much stuff as I can, as far back as I can and then try using a smaller motor so that I can get the battery further forwards. One thing that I haven't tried yet is replacing the spinner with something lighter than the one in the pic's.

Update.....

Tonight I spent a bit of time sanding and finishing off the fuze. I have managed to round off some of the square corners so it is not so boxy although it still retains a bit of its square edginess.

I also finished off the belly scoop and mount so now I just need to cover and glue it. I made a mount for it to glue onto the wing with as I thought it would need a little bit of a stronger bond because it will be copping the landings and I have also blanked it off. I was going to leave it open as a functional scoop but it will get grass and crud inside on landings, besides, the scoop under the nose is functional on my model. I also finished the hatch mounting. I have just used a skewer as a locating pin in the front and some magnets to hold the rear down. It won't be coming off, the magnets I use are very strong (from aan old busted brushless motor) especially if you piggy back them. I will be covering the fuze without fitting the battery tray because I can fit it afterwards and I would like to be able to sort out the motor issue once I have a close AUW so covering it will help with that too.

Sorry I can't add pic's from my phone but I'll chuck some up when I can.

Cheers
RoscoEdited By Rosco on 13/05/2015 16:33:55

Here's the pics...............

Sanded belly scoop ready for covering.....

dsc_0245.jpg

Mount for scoop to hold onto for some extra bond strength.....

dsc_0246.jpg

Belly scoop in situ.....

dsc_0247.jpg

Hatch mountings done. Skewer locating pin at front and magnets at rear.....

dsc_0248.jpg

Snug fit of the hatch.....

dsc_0249.jpg

Hopefully by the next post I will have the fuze covered smiley

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 14/05/2015 01:21:12

Fuze is covered......

dsc_#a0257.jpg

dsc_#a0256.jpg

dsc_#a0254.jpg

dsc_#a0253.jpg

I cant help myself so I had fit it up for some photo's.....

dsc_#a0245.jpg

dsc_#a0246.jpg

dsc_#a0247.jpg

dsc_#a0249.jpg

dsc_#a0250.jpg

The entire covered airframe with no electrics is......

dsc_#a0252.jpg

I have a couple of spots to finish up but nothing major so it might be a few more gram's ontop but otherwise, fairly lightweight in my books for its size.....

Next up comes the panel lines.

Until next time

Roscosmiley