OZ Funfighter P51 Mustang

Rosco

Some slight progress but not alot to report today.

I have added panel lines to the fuze but not quite finished yet. I have also added the sharks mouth.

Hopefully tomorrow I might get some time to start finishing off the little bits of covering that need to be done and adding some electrics.

Pics......

Sharks mouth.....

dsc_0297.jpg

dsc_0298.jpg

dsc_0299.jpg

GRRRRRRRRR......

dsc_0295.jpg

dsc_0293.jpg

dsc_0294.jpg

Slowly getting there. smiley

Rosco

Looking good Rosco, have you decided on a motor yet. Going to turn out v light, could have handled retracts...mmm.

Your model has reminded me of a guy I met in work around 1990. We were using his electric motors in our circuit breakers, and he was over from OZ. to sort out some issues.

We got chatting and he told me that he'd flown Mustangs back in OZ. when he was younger,and before returning home he'd arranged a flight in the Grace 2 seat Spitfire !

I often wondered if he was pulling my leg because judging by his age that would put him in a Mustang about 1958 / 60, were they still in use back then?

Ron

Thanks Ron.

I'm not sure about any Mustangs in Australia but I found some info about them being used right up until 1984, so it may be possible.

So.....

I have started fitting out the model with its electrics.

I have also solidified the wing tips and finished covering them. I literally had to use bits and pieces to finish it off because I had no covering left other than a few scraps!

Annoyingly, I tore some whilst fitting out the wing with servos but managed a patch up and even more annoying is that after that, the servo stopped working even though I tested it before fitting? I still have to fit the flap servos and truth be told, I hate this part because it's when hangar rash can be at its ugliest and it's started for me already.

I'm still not sure what motor I'm fitting as it seems that the spinner is causing me the nose heavy problem, admittedly it is rather heavy and ironically, it helped me with some previous Mustangs with tail heaviness issues!

I'm hoping to get some film to finish the decals (I use signwriting vinyl film).

Rosco

Hi Rosco, yes it is annoying having a servo go down, but better now than on the maiden !

The spinner is such a prominent part of the Mustang, hope you can get a lighter one that suits.

I've just found the RAAF Museum website, it seems the Mustang served with the Citizen's Air Force Squadrons until being withdrawn in 1959.

Ron

Thanks Ron smiley

I did find some info on the particular squadron that my model originated from when I chose the scheme but I didn't know if they served for any particular service after that.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._77_Squadron_RAAF

Back to it then...... yes

I'm 98% done. I have come across some minor issues along this last part of the building journey but I've sorted them out as I've gone. I haven't made any postings lately due to family life etc. so I have quite a few pics to add. I think I'll put up the pics with an explanation instead of rambling on, so here goes.........

I wasn't happy just gluing the tail on so I added some locating pins made from a BBQ skewer to assist.....tail locating pins.jpg

I accidentally sanded the tail 'seat' on an angle trying to 'true' it up so I had to make a wedge to get it sitting right again......tail locating holes.jpg

After trying to cover the tips for about the third time, my patience was getting thin and so was the amount of covering film I had left so I 'solidified' the top of the tips with some scrap balsa (the bottom was good enough so I left it alone!)......dsc_0309.jpg

Covered tips. I actually had to use two pieces on one tip so I added an extra 'maintenance hatch' to cover it a little!......dsc_0315.jpg

dsc_0313.jpg

Wing almost done with servo fit out. Only the flap servo's need to be fitted. Red tips are for orientation purposes....dsc_0314.jpg

I don't know about anyone else but after I fitted the servos for the flaps, I found myself in a 'not to happy with myself' place. I went with a 'just make do' with the issue frame of mind but it didn't sit well with me however I have since sorted it out. Can anyone see the problem?dsc_0324.jpg

Here's my fix. Can you see what the problem was?dsc_0334.jpg

If you cant see the problem, I'll fill you in later. If you can see it, please let me know. I'll use this as a test to see how many viewers are actually following my build!......

Rudder and Elevator servos and linkages fitted..... dsc_0311.jpg

Linkages all hooked up. I have added some plastic sleeve to the piano wire to give it a little more slip since I took these pics......dsc_0312.jpg

Here's a little something I have done on other belly landers to help protect the servos.Take one plastic window cleaning bottle (you will need two if covering two servos, four for four etc).....dsc_0325.jpg

I use the 'shoulder' section here.....dsc_0326.jpg

To make these.....dsc_0327.jpg

I stick them on with some tape and paint or cover. Some may like to keep them clear. On warbirds, in a way, they look like bomb attachment brackets on the wings. I use them on the Corsair in my avatar because of the Gull Wing, and all the servo's are still fine (I've probably jinxed myself now!).....dsc_0335.jpg

I haven't had time to get any material to finish off the scheme and I might just end up using texta to add the numerals on the fuze. I may slightly vary the colours if it comes to it after all, it is not a scale model.....dsc_0332.jpg

dsc_0331.jpg

I have 'dummied' it up with all the electrics to give it a quick balance test but until I have fitted a prop, I can't be sure that the battery will stay where it is......dsc_0328.jpg

You can see the battery through the canopy and hopefully it won't need to move too much further back. I want to use the top hatch for access and am trying to avoid having the battery sit too far back.....dsc_0329.jpg

That's it for now.

Don't forget.......

I'm testing all you viewers about your genuine interest in my build, so if you can tell me What is wrong with that pic, or more particularly, What might annoy you as a builder if you made the same oversight on your build. Here it is again for your convenience.....dsc_0324.jpg

What would annoy you?

Rosco smiley

Yep, you got it Chris.

Unfortunately I can't reverse the servo through the TX (Dx6i) and I'm competent at doing it manually - resoldering wires, as I have done in the past.

Those flap servos are froom my old Durafly Mustang that actually have an inbuilt slowing. I toyed with manually adjusting them to fit as I had intended but in the end I decided to leave them be and after fitting them up I just couldn't stand them not being symmetrical, it was sending me crazy everytime I looked at it.

My solution isn't perfect from a symmetrical point but it is much better on the eye. Once I fit the covers over them it won't look so bad.

After 3000+ views, thanks to those who have just popped in to say hi, it sometimes feels like I'm talking to myself!

Thanks

Rosco

Ps. I do realise that because of the time difference, when I post, most are sleeping and vice versa.

It annoys me that I can't post smileys from my phone so I can't convey the feeling across.....all happy of course.

No worries Ron wink

I can handle things not being perfect but some things really bug me and that really was one of those things!

Not to worry, all sorted now......

A slight relocation of things has it looking a better..........

dsc_#0324.jpg

With some help from my servo protectors you can hardly tell!.....

dsc_#0325.jpg

I gave it a quick weigh and it was close to the 900g mark which is more than I anticipated.

Unfortunately, like most, even when it's finished, unless the RC gods are good to me, I'll have to wait until the time is right. It won't be for a little while yet though.

Until the next one.....

Rosco yes

Quick thoughts for the day!......

I still haven't got around to getting some vinyl for the rest of the scheme but truth be told, I'm thinking of just leaving it with the sharks mouth. I actually like it the way it is.....Hmmmmm, something to think about.

I'm a bit annoyed that somehow I have damaged one aileron servo. I may have bumped the aileron and forced the servo onto stripping something? It seems to click and jump and it's not the first I have seen do it so it may need a replacement or more likely, a fixup.

I'm not happy with the weight. The motor within can handle it (it was flying a 1.2kg model) but I think that is half the problem, the motor is too heavy. I'm still up in the air with that one!

It still needs a pilot so that is something to do once I know she's capable of flying.

I did do some work on it today but it was not much at all. I have the servo protectors cut and painted up but won't fit them up until I'm happy with the servo function and their adjustments.

Hopefully, I'll get a bit more done tomorrow if I'm lucky....

Till then

Rosco

Hi all,

Not much to add really.

I have just been playing around with things here and there. All my servo's are sorted, the covers have been taped on and I've had to go with a smaller spinner because the weight in the front was weighing it down a bit. The spinner I have on it now weighs 8g compared to the 40g Yellow one in most of the pics. This has allowed me to get the battery further forwards.

Anyhow, pics.....

The lighter 8g spinner.....

lighter spinner.jpg

Servo covers on.....

servo protectors#1.jpg

Some flap pics. I will adjust them accordingly but here they are anyway.

At up position.....

flaps neautral.jpg

At 50%.....

flaps 50%.jpg

At 100%.....

flaps 100%.jpg

100% from bottom view.....

flaps 100% bottom.jpg

As I say, I will adjust them after the first few flights accordingly.

The AUW is looking around the 900g range. It is a bit less with a lighter battery but this means that the battery fits more rearwards for balance.

Unfortunately it is the beginning of winter here so flying days are limited. Hopefully I might be able to sneak in a maiden sometime and when I do, I'll post a vid.

So for now, there's just a few odds and sods left to do, to really finish her off and when I'm done I'll post some completed pics.

Until then, happy building and flying.

Rosco yes

Edited By Rosco on 04/06/2015 12:49:41

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Not to worry Chris, I will post some 'ready to fly' pics once everything is done.

As I mentioned, it is now winter here and although we don't get the same wintery conditions as you guys over there, it is still cold, windy and rainy and on the day when the sun comes out, I'm either working or its a family day!

Once again, thanks for the kind words along the way and rest assured, there will be some final pic's and a maiden vid.

Cheers

Rosco

A quick update.....

The maiden might happen sooner than I thought. The control tower has given me clearance for a fly in the next few days so I'm going to try and get it all finished and ready to go. The only thing that may stop me is the weather or if I get called into work otherwise I'll be flying.

Watch this space.....

Rosco

Hi all,

I may possibly get a maiden done tomorrow depending on the weather. I'm hoping it holds out long enough, fingers crossed.

Here are some pics of it completed awaiting its maiden......

dsc_0336.jpg

dsc_0341.jpg

In the office.....

dsc_0337.jpg

dsc_0339.jpg

The canopy is taped on in the pics but I will be screwing it on later.

smiley Wish me luck.

Rosco

Hello all smiley

To those few who might be interested, unfortunately I didn't get my maiden in today. I packed the car with the intention of heading out straight after I finished my night shift this morning but it just didn't happen and I worked the day shift as well.

I had batteries, cameras and models all ready to go sad I even sorted the canopy out so that it now has screws holding it on.....Oh well.....Never mind.

Anyway, here she is all ready to go.......

dsc_0346~2~2.jpg

dsc_0347~2~2.jpg

dsc_0348~2~2.jpg

Rosco yes