OZ Funfighter P51 Mustang

Rosco

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately not. It is winter here now and my flying time is limited to a couple of hours on a Sunday morning most of the time, it's life as normal otherwise which includes working over some weekends for me and of course, when the weather has been good, I've been at work!

I'll post something when it finally goes up (or down!) for its maiden but thanks for the enquiry.

In the meantime I'm building something else!

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=108188&p=1#PostTop

Rosco

Fingers crossed...........hopefully she'll get a maiden flight tomorrow.

Weather is looking good for tomorrow (Sunday) and I've been given clearance to fly from the control tower. The only thing that will stop me will be if my work rings and asks me to come in!

Rosco yes

Hi all, good news......

I maidened the Stang today.

I only got two batteries worth of flying but it was enough to work out any necessary 'finessing' of things.

I recorded it on my trusty 808 keychain cam so I'll try and put something together tonight.

The actual flight/s were ok and enough to get me comfortable to do a couple of rolls and some inverted flying (which is all on cam).

The only thing that stopped me was a cracked engine mount/bulkhead after the second flight when on landing, the wind gave her a tip scrape and then a sudden stop but it's all very fixable.

All in all, I'm quite happy and the 'I built it and it flies ' thing had me smiling from ear to ear.

Stay tuned for a vid.

Rosco

Thanks Chris.

As you could probably hear, there was a bit of a breeze blowing and after the handlaunch it looked like it was going to do the tailheavy taildance so I pulled back on the throttle a little and it just seemed to float on the wind, almost like a sloper in a way!

I did have to give it a few clicks of right and hold the nose down with elevator but for the next flight I moved the battery forwards a bit too, which helped but I think it could move forwards some more.

The other thing I did for the second flight was change the prop size which made a difference too. I had an MA 11x5 for the maiden and then went too an MA 10x7.

I'm pleased with it and once I've sorted the engine mount out, I'll hopefully get some more flying done and sort it out properly.

Thanks to all for watching.

Rosco

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi Keith, thanks for the comments.
The model is (was) covered in Silver Profilm/Oracover. It had a nice 'sheen' to it without doing anything.
It was a great flyer that unfortunately met it's demise when an aileron servo failed in flight. I was truly disappointed when it met mother earth with a thud. I would build another if I had the time!

All P51 models I have owned have been great flying models.

Best of luck,
Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 18/03/2016 18:43:05