P.R. STOL Mk1/11

John Keywood

Hi everyone, I feel I have had a head start on my build as I started before the STOL was nominated. I am building as the plan but it will be powered by an electric motor. I am starting with the Mk1 three channel configuration and then adding the Mk 11 wing at a later date. I do have a Mk 1 plan from the early days and the Mk 11 plan. I have found some discrepancies on the plans but they are not too much to sort out. (some formers are drawn the wrong size etc.,) I intend to fly the Mk 1 as a three channel and then adding the Mk 11 wing and flying with ailerons. I am intending to cover my model with dope and tissue but does anyone know if the more modern coverings would be as good

Good luck to every one building,

John Keywood

Hi John. I've used Solarfilm Litespan in the past and its much tougher than tissue/dope but looks like it. There's no adhesive on the product so you have to use BalsaLoc or similar to bond it. It doesn't shrink quite as much as Solarfilm but provided you get a fairly crease free covering it comes out excellently.

Check out Solarfilm's website for more info. Have a look at the Quick Instructions.

Ian

Litespan for sure. I have a West Wings Orion which was my first go at a tissue and dope alternative. It worked fine but you need to be careful on sheeted surfaces as it expands before shrinking and it is quite easily to get unwanted wrinkles. Get it as smooth as possible in the fitting stage

I was having real trouble with distortion of a small Guillows kit using tissue and dope so I took it all off and re-covered with Litespan. I was really pleased with the result at virtually no weight penalty as it is self finishing in a variety of colours. It is also paintable.

I am building a Stol as well. I have pulled out a suitable engine and made some notes on the plan following Martyn's useful warnings.

Keep the photos coming