Johns Atom

Come on John mines flown already, cheeky hopefully you've seen my suggestions on keeping the tail wheel arm short if your fitting one, I'll be re working mine this weekend, also given that the mast is a desired weak point I've an idea to stop if breaking inside it's mount and possibly damaging the fuselage around it as mine did on the first unsuccessful take off attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it'd be better to maiden it on a calm day John, that way you can get it trimmed for level flight. I know there are some doubts about the head getting up to speed without a head wind but it will, you just need to keep it on the ground for a little longer.

When you fly a rotor in wind there is one main difference to a fixed wing & that's equal airspeed on the port/starboard side of the aircraft. When flying forwards with an anti clockwise rotor the right side forward travelling rotor generates more lift that the backwards traveling left side causing roll to the left. (as mentioned before) When travelling downwind the left side of the rotor starts generating more lift than before and there's less or no left roll. Even better is flying cross wind which generates changes in pitch. In these circumstances it can be difficult to accurately trim a model.

With a heli these changes are small since the head speed is so much faster but it is still noticeable in forward flight and especially when hovering. Sorry to keep banging on about this airspeed/rotor thing but with the low headspeed of the Atom I noticed much more variation in pitch and roll last Sunday when flying in the wind, more that I feel when flying a heli which I would usually compensate for without much thought.

The Atom flies very nicely, even in wind and is still much easier than a heli. Just treat the headspeed the same as airspeed.