Cambrian Gnat

reg shaw

Hi folks, my first post in this department and I hope its a positive!!!

The doubt is because I have just acquired a Cambrian Folland Gnat with a view to throwing it off a hill. Its a mint unflown IC jobbie and I wondered if anyone here had any experience of such a beast? It seems fairly light, especially the wings and they are quite thick in section, of the semi symmetrical variety. Any hints or tips much appreciated.

Cheers, Ian.

This Gnat is about 50" span and 54" long. Here's some pics. As you an see it has flaps, though my thinking is they might not be that much help for landing unless I can get quite a bit of movement. I'm not after some superscale job, just something for when its too windy to fly conventional scale gliders. It does however look like a Gnat!! Hardwood block for the nose??

Ian.

dscf3693.jpg

dscf3694.jpg

dscf3697.jpg

dscf3698.jpg

dscf3692.jpg

It is in quite good nick Tony, it has appeared on the BMFA classifieds a couple of times before I bit and I went to pick them up today. There is another, a used example which is a bit worse for wear in places. That might be the one to get flying first as it'll tell me whether (or not) to commit the good one to the same fate!

Ian.

Posted by Percy Verance on 11/01/2015 17:46:00:

Is this the rather large one with the fus from some sort of expanding foam Ian?

The second fuselage is thin fibreglass with a layer of foam inside, about an inch thick, then another layer of thin glass inside that to finish. This one seems much stronger for no extra weight. So this is how some of them came then Mr Verance?

Ian.

Edited By reg shaw on 12/01/2015 20:03:14

Chucking it off a hill is probably the best thing for it. I had one in the 80's in the Yellowjacks colours with a 60 & tuned pipe at the front. I never managed to get it more than a couple of feet into the air as it roared off into the distance at Jurby airfield. It was very twitchy so give it plenty of expo - that wasn't available in those days of course. I sold mine on with plenty of caveats. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

That is great Sam, is this a glass fuselage or a 'twin skin foam sandwich' jobster!!?? IC in the nose, or do you have other plans?

The one in the pics has now been chucked off a hill and performed quite well, though it was only flown once as the lift was a tad scratchy. Turns were suprisingly balanced, I thought it might slip into the turn due to the anhedral but it didn't seem bad at all.

Ian.

It's glass bodied version, the kit is complete with nothing missing.

I first bought this kit 1979 when I was an apprentice. It was fitted with a redshift 60 and managed to fly it just the once in the spring of 1980 simply because our flying field was just that? I put it away and got distracted by learning my trade and the oposite sex (and forgot about the hobby).

10 years later I got the bug again and discoverd that my Gnat had been thrown away by my Dad.

I never thought I would aquire that model again up until last week when I managed to secure a kit.

Now a very happy man & will probably electrify and fit retracts just to keep the lines of the model

May do a building blog when I get some projects out of the way first

Sam

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Amy,

I have a very tatty example of this model. I didn't know it was a Cambrian version until I saw this thread. It was passed on to me by Steve Howarth a couple of years ago. I was planning to convert it for PSS but it's a big job, and there are other things getting priority. So far, I've only got round to removing the remnants of the bent undercarriage, etc. It's in a bit of a state, and needs a lot of work (wing skin is delaminating in places, tailplanes and fin are both loose, it only has half a rudder, etc, etc.. But if you're interested, send me a message, and I'll send you some pictures and more info..

Steve