Boddingtons Scale book for a penny!

kc

Several used copies of David Boddingtons out of print book Scale Model Aircraft for Radio Control are being sold for 1 penny! Well postage is 2.80 as well but it's still a bargain here on Amazon

It is almost the best book ever on scale - actually Gordon Whiteheads is better as it covers more everyday models- but Boddos covers lots of the more advanced and unusual stuff. Every scale aeromodeller needs both! But Whiteheads is ridiculously expensive now it's out of print.

I just came across this when I was looking for a Vic Smeed book. If I hadn't already got the Boddington book I would have bought this too, I even thought of buying an extra copy! I thought I would leave it for one of you........bet you like it if you buy it at any price.

Other Boddington books are also on sale secondhand for 1 penny on Amazon, but they are of the more basic beginners type. Those are a bargain for beginners though.

I am glad the bargain copies went to the right homes!

There are still some bargain copies of Boddingtons books which are basic reference books and especially useful for the newer aeromodeller.  I recommend 'Building and Flying Radio Controlled Model Aircraft ' a bargain   here

Edited By kc on 14/01/2015 00:13:49

Another 1 penny  bargain is Peter Holland's book ' Model Aeroplane Building: Sketch by Sketch ' here A must have book by another great aeromodeller and editor. It has all the little tricks everyone should know. A book you will constantly refer to for construction ideas.   A  secondhand bargain at 2.81 including postage, especially when the last remaining new copies are advertised at 75 pounds!

Edited By kc on 14/01/2015 00:25:44

This is quite amazing.....overnight Peter Holland's book has become the Number One Best seller in Aircraft models on Amazon UK. And of course it's an out of print book so the prices have rocketed! Don't believe such hype!

Boddington's scale book has now become very expensive too.

It just shows how markets can be manipulated by just someone placing a favourable review. And it proves what can happen with these automatic software pricing programs which before Christmas reduced prices on expensive stuff to an uneconomic 1 penny price. No doubt Stock Markets can be manipulated just as easily by some.

For anyone still wanting these books if the prices are high I suggest waiting a few days or weeks for prices to stabilise ( they might not drop!)

But isn't it a shame that the best books on aeromodelling are out of print and not being republished?

Edited By kc on 14/01/2015 12:43:41

I doubt a seller has increased prices; Amazon also do what Abe Books and other online sellers do and allow individual sellers to sell their books on their website. if you look at the link you left the book is sold by individual book sellers.

Some sellers have listed their books cheap to shift them, they have sold leaving other sellers that have their books listed at £19

With publishing it's all about demand KC. If a publisher has printed 100,000 books and sold 1000 then it isn't exactly flying off the shelves and they certainly won't publish a second edition.

Abe Books still have the book at good prices: **LINK**

Edited By John F on 14/01/2015 13:04:08

It's these individual sellers that use the automated price software! That's what caused problems for them before Xmas.

Beware the link to Abe Books does not contain the right book! They are other Boddo books which I dont think are anything like as good or as comprehensive. the book I recommend is ISBN 0 85242 810 3 titled Scale Model Aircraft for Radio Control.   That is the proper 320 page book.

Abe books do have the right book here but it costs over 21 pounds with postage!   But even at that price you won't be disappointed if you are a real aeromodeller.   But there are better deals on Amazon UK.

Edited By kc on 14/01/2015 13:42:17

I was going to suggest Gordon Whiteheads book Scale Model Aircraft- for every day flying. That is untill the cheapest is listed £29 and the dearest at £310 and not even new. But then again, these are collectors books, are they not? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Do books ever get sold at these prices?

Posted by kc on 13/01/2015 16:57:52:

But Whiteheads is ridiculously expensive now it's out of print.

I got Gordon Whitehead's for £1-50 plus p&p on ebay just before xmas wink Been looking for ages so struck seriously lucky there

I've just ordered the Peter Holland book aswell, so thanks kc for the.info. I've built a couple of his designs, and his "Amazing Models: Balloon Power" (three currently on Amazon for 1p) contains some interesting curiosities, aswell as being invaluable to anyone who ever has to entertain children or grandchildren

It is gratifying that these bargains have gone to regular forum people who have helped lots of others with their info. On the other hand it is disappointing that these books won't be on sale to inspire new aeromodellers.

But the really horrible thing is these are mostly ex library books which have been sold off for next to nothing (50 pence is what Essex libraries charge for all non fiction) . As they are out of print they cannot be replaced at libraries by new ones. Consequently our libraries are devoid of the best books!

Edited By kc on 14/01/2015 15:47:31

Posted by Erfolg on 14/01/2015 14:10:42:

I was going to suggest Gordon Whiteheads book Scale Model Aircraft- for every day flying. That is untill the cheapest is listed £29 and the dearest at £310 and not even new. But then again, these are collectors books, are they not? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Do books ever get sold at these prices?

dunno, but do you want to make an offer on my copylaugh

Ii is not clear to me that many of the very expensive books are sold. I have been looking out for Vol 2 French Warplanes 1939 -1945 for some time, I purchased Vol1 for circa £10, on E-Bay, Amazon, Abe the price asked is approx £30, strangely the same outlets seem to always be the same sellers, which suggests at the price being asked, they do not sell.

I also have Gordons book, excellent as well as Stringwell and Dave Hughes books, all are classics.

• 7 months later...

Well that was yesterday and today they have all gone, presumably 3 forum members ( or perhaps just viewers ) have got the bargains. I suggest waiting a month or two and looking again to see if there are any copies at a reasonable price.