Boddingtons Scale book for a penny!

kc

It could be that only 2 copies were sold and the other one went up in price! It appears that these sellers are professionals who buy up ex library books and get books from house clearance etc and re-sell them on amazon. They seem to use the software that reduces the price to just below their competitors and then the rival does the same until it comes down to 1 penny. But they charge 2.80 for postage and i would expect it cost them less than a pound ( as bulk shipper ) for post and a jiffybag so they still make some profit. Libraries sell all non fiction at 50 pence in my area. If nobody takes the book out of the library for a couple of months they sell it for 50 pence just to make space on the shelves for some modern rubbish. Madness.

So give it a few weeks or months and see if another bargain comes up.

I cannot understand the strategy that is used to sell books on the Internet. I have noted that some books are for sale at high price, and never seem to get sold. Yet others can be obtained at low prices, and when they have gone, the other sellers seem to want significantly more, again these higher prices do not seem to attract sales.

It could be that you are correct KC and as a shopper, you have to play a long term game, continually watching, if the sellers do use software to manage the sales price.

• 11 months later...

I have just noticed that there are a couple more copies for sale on Amazon for 1 penny....plus 2.80 postage. A great bargain for someone ....bet they don't last the day!

It's probably Boddos best book and masterpiece and fully recomended for any scale modeller.

I said they wouldn't last the day! Well they seem to have been sold - now copies cost 24.11 or more! I hope it's one of us who have bought the copies for a penny not some automatic system that has upped the price just because a few people browsed the page.

It's such a good book that needs to be kept in circulation and the info and inspiration needs to be conveyed to new modellers.

Another book that is also worth buying at 1 penny plus postage is this one by Peter Holland - Model Aeroplane Building Sketch by Sketch. It's much more of a basic book than Boddo's as it covers all the tricks and techniques in visual form. Worth having for any newcomer. The copies seem to be of the early version and I believe this version has better ( larger & clearer) drawings than the later version. Interesting to see if the price jumps like the Boddo one......

Well the Boddington book was available yesterday for 1 penny ( plus postage) and then when one sold the price went up to 24.11 and today they are down to 19.17 to 19.24 ( four different sellers) so this illustrates how market forces could be manipulated by just a single person! Bear this in mind when you consider Brexit and the value of the pound compared to dollar. Just a few people are speculating and it affects the rest of us dramatically.

Edited By kc on 20/08/2016 10:23:14

Back in the '70s I used to work as a tech in the development labs of a large British office equipment company and I photocopied and bound DB's B&FRCMA that I borrowed from the public library. Still have it on my bookshelf but after seeing the 1998 version on Abebooks for £2.80 post free (thanks John F!) I couldn't resist.

Don't be confused by the books mentioned on Abebooks - they are not the proper scale one which is "Scale Model Aircraft for Radio Control" That book is very comprehensive and useful to modellers up to advanced stages. Most other of 'Boddos' books are much more general and suitable for beginners but won't get used much later. But his best book will always be a useful reference. All of his books are good but Scale Model Aircraft for Radio Control is by far the best. It seems to have been published only once for a short time hence the rarity compared to his other books. His other thinner book on scale has much less content.

Edited By kc on 20/08/2016 12:10:21

• 3 weeks later...

I see that today there are a couple of copies of Peter Holland's book 'Model Aerolplane Building Sketch by Sketch' on sale here on Amazon for 39 pence or 40 pence plus postage , so about £3.20 for this really useful book which is out of print now.. Handy for reference as it gives all the tricks of the trade in the form of drawings.

Conversely the opposite of a bargain .....copies of Peter Miller's book 'Designing Model Aircraft' are on sale for 27pounds secondhand whilst you can buy a new copy direct from Traplet for £7.99. What a crazy world! Another worthwhile book though.

Edited By kc on 06/09/2016 17:45:58

• 1 year later...

Also a couple of copies of Peter Holland's book Model Aeroplane Building Sketch by Sketch at reasonable prices - I think that these older version may have clearer sketches than the later ones. A worthwhile book for real builders.

Edited By kc on 09/05/2018 11:05:43

• 1 year later...

Those books seem to have sold now and the price for those remaining has nearly trebled. It just shows how the market can be manipulated....

Lets hope the book was bought by a forum member or someone who will use it. If anyone still wants this book then just a wait a while until the market settles down.