Completed Atom photo gallery

Richard Harris

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where Atom builders can add a photo or two of their creations. There are already a few that are complete which have been added to the main build thread but some may not have seen as it is pretty active.

So, as long as this is alright with the mods, add away. No reason why videos can't be added to those who are able to either. If we can keep it for just these and discussions to the main thread then it will be easier for others to see some of the great builds you are all coming up with.

Snap away!

Here are my two for starters...

img_4697.jpg

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

This is my effort. It's been ready for a week or two, but I'm going to wait to some decent weather before I sneak down to the field and give it a try. I don't fancy an audience to see a potential disaster!

atom special.jpg

If all goes well I will try to get to the Greenacres fly-in this year.

Cheers GDB

• 3 weeks later...

Looks very nice Terry! But I am finding that bright upper surfaces of the rotor blades help your orientation a lot, much easier to judge the bank angle when flying at some distance and turning towards you. Mine are fluo-yellow with fluo-red tips.

Max.

Two more completed and maidened - out here in Brittany.

This is mine before some dodgy attempts to fly, now traced to 4 degrees up on the motor mount and now fixed.

Peters Atom.jpg

This is my French friend Sams. He has made several flights but still wants to adjust things before he is happy.

Sams Atom.jpg

Peter

My two are more or less finished - just waiting for a combination of time, weather and flying mojo to maiden them.

img_3789.jpg

img_3790.jpg

img_3791.jpg

img_3792.jpg

img_3793.jpg

img_3794.jpg

Atom is mostly as per plan, with a few ideas pinched from others on here - tailwheel, Terry's modified head plate, etc.

Ion is enlarged by 10% from the plan (it's an ion with more electrons than the basic atom, so it's physically slightly bigger), fitted with an OS15, servos to rear of head with carbon pushrods, tailwheel, single central rudder. It was very nose heavy, so the battery had to be located on the tail and the tailboom floored with liteply to support it. The red velcro strap will be replaced with a couple of white tie-wraps. The OS15 is brand new and unrun, so a bit of running in is needed.

I haven't managed to find any pilots I'm happy with, so might end up carving a couple of Stig-types.

Heads spin up OK in the garden, so we'll see what happens if I get out to the patch next week.

Edited By David P Williams on 06/03/2015 15:49:46

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my first attempt at an auto gyro, I call mine BATom Special (for obvious reasons). First flight yesterday, after some frustration not getting the head to spin up I waited for a bit more breeze then it got off with no problem. I wish I had put a steerable tail wheel on as our patch has just been cut for first time this season and gyro doesn't like steering at all.

Anyway very impressed with the flight, no real issues other than orientation which others have already mentioned especially with my colour scheme, may have to add some colour to the top of the blades. And landed without damage, not bad for a first gyro flight.

Basically built to plan with some minor mods as suggested by other builders. Batman logos hand cut from solarfilm, ok from a distance.

bat gyro-5.jpgbat gyro-3.jpgbat gyro-1.jpg