Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

9 minutes ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Mine were from Hobby*£%* but there are pitfalls with using them, without the coiled spring anything but a landing that kisses the ground or a rough strip will rapidly remove them and the mount from the wing.

Ouch, ok. I'll leave as is for the foreseeable!!

• 3 weeks later...

Putting out some feelers here guys I have been playing a lot with Fusion 360 and a 3D printer.

I am currently trying to print some tyres to go with the wheels I have created for the Spitfire.

Provided the trials go OK. Would there be an interest out there for a set?

These wheels are designed for a 4mm leg/axle.

The reason being that they have wheel bearings fitted, 2 per wheel.

They are of the early 5 spoke pattern. The hubs are to 1/8 scale but the wheels are 2.75" not the scale 3".

This is to fit Richards Kit.

2077273926_Spitfirewheel1_8scalev15.thumb.png.6097f52c35a98612033a32326af9d2b7.png482041955_Spitfiretyre1_8scalev15.thumb.png.2c6c1d23d01fa0a374277459996165a3.png

So Depending on interest and successful trials of the tyre print I would consider doing a small run, run times are time intensive as the 'rubber' material used has a long print time per wheel.

• Like 1

Fitted to my spitfire and will be flown this Friday.

I HAD to put some black paint thinly on them as white just wasn't right... made me shudder.

The material is as good as rubber and was surprised how good the tyres feel.

There is 3D print lines on the surface but that's to be expected.

Oh and yes eagle eyed Richard Finn's fire truck is in case of an emergency landing😉20220713_170314.thumb.jpg.6b4b609143ffb418a9b9af9953074a05.jpg

20220713_171501.thumb.jpg.793bad003b065913fd840964d3fde408.jpg

If your wondering why the gap in front of the wheel it's because I have changed the pintle angle to give me a greater forward rake and the wheel moves in a forward arc as it descends. I also have mounting pads cut out of 5mm silicone rubber sheet under the retract unit as I don't have the coils in the legs but have oleos fitted.

If your field is rough at all stay with the coil spring legs.

Well, flown this morning, conditions were warm and almost still, just an occasional breath of air in random directions. Being so warm was a little cautious of air density.

Carried out 6 flights all of which had touch and goes so approximately 20 touch and goes and landings. Even with a high ground speed due to little or no wind the new tyres and wheels worked well, with no wind the bearings worked a little too well the Spitfire rolled on forever. I might just make a  miniature anchor to drop out the back for when it's calm.

The wheels show no signs of the printed materials delamination or cracking. The hubs are printed with PET-G so temperature is not such an issue as PLA is, it is also more forgiving in terms of cracking. the tyres are a good fit on the hubs and are a nice snug fit without any signs of tyre rotation.

This shows the tyre construction in the slicer software.

image.thumb.png.c05c3238763d058bce95ed2d17188f22.png

This section shows the tyre profile on the rim and shows how well it fits.

The two holes inside the wheel hub are for alignment, this allows the hubs to be printed with the outside faces up to give a better finish. if they were printed in one it needs supports to be used and leaves a  rougher surface finish. Two small alignment pins are cut from the 1.75mm extrusion material and the two halves are superglued into place.

1573605401_Spitfirewheelcrosssection1_8scalev16.thumb.jpg.97df3d6331de2a671fc08339efe102ea.jpg

Edited by Paul Johnson 4
  • Like 3

Been thinking over the use of bearings for two reasons, one the axle must be 4mm, 4mm piano wire is a nominal 4.08mm and will not fit without a lot of fettling down. Secondly the length of roll out on landing. Brass inserts the same size but opened to 4.2mm may be a better way forward. This video shows the length of run with a small push add the weight of the model and its momentum carries it a fair way.

I could make it an option.

I've been looking into both avenues and although bronze is available in bar form and I have a small  lathe it would increase the material/time costs compared to brass tubing.

With adequate use of a good grease it should be a good compromise. I can change the model of the hub to accommodate the brass tube. Also a tube with grease may add to the overrun issue.

When I flew petrol's off concrete, tick over meant they ran on forever until someone mentioned trapping a small length of fuel tubing between the wheel and retention/collet. Simple and the extra friction transformed ground handling.