Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc

Ady Hayward

On 12/09/2023 at 19:50, Jonathan S said:

All,

After a break due to the family..  I am back to the bench and making the spitfire.  Wing is 90% done and the fuselage has started.  I am thinking of doing the battery hatch at the top.  Does anyone have any photos of how it works. Mostly thinking of how the cowl is cut.  

Thx

Jon

I have a very recent kit so can photograph the supplementary instructions if that helps. I'm away right now, home next Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

I have a very recent kit so can photograph the supplementary instructions if that helps. I'm away right now, home next Wednesday.

Graham,

If he doesn't have the extra parts in the kit a copy of the instructions won't help. We need to wait for Jonathan to let us know if he has those extra parts.

• Thanks 1

Jonathan,

I would assemble the plastic cowl after completing as much of the fuz as possible including covering it, without gluing the top section on it as this needs to be cut not only to the removable hatch but to the overall length required as per the original manual on pictures 24,25 and 26. Once you have the correct length sorted then place the removable section into the as yet glued top to get the hatch cut line, I allowed a little over hang at the rear of the removable hatch.

You won't need the under nose hatch to be cut out and can fill the cut lines with filler should you choose.

I have taken a few pictures of mine so should give you an insight into how it fits.

I put a small brace in the top of the removable cowl to help stiffen it up when holding it together for the glue to go off.

1.thumb.jpg.cb86c9b882956bff5f4767be68c7ced2.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.5546a5d56eec1fc7d52f9e38962fb0ac.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.fdb1b75a1809b44a8bf9e86d95eb75e4.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.323fe417ed6856662e403e886bd31b4b.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.38a2cbeedd46cda167d3cd4c1bc877c6.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.17b67c6e1f3e1b6987e02f8fcc1f7849.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Spitfire rear. I  am stumped as what to do. 

I have mocked up the tail.  The long part of the vertical sab has to either go through or instead of the balsa blocks.  Not sure which.

Also how do I blend the long bit of the stabiliser into the bottom part of the fuselage.  Most people have skipped this bit on their build blogs and the plan has not shed any light for me... thanks again for all your help. 

Jon

20231018_171157.jpg

20231018_171155.jpg

Dan, Eric, thanks for your help.  Dan's first photo is the best but I didn't explain myself fully.  So edited the photo to show where i am confused. 

The fin post in green needs to go through the balsa blocks the snakes go through, do I cut a slot or trim the blocks off before the post Indicated by pink arrow. 

When the post is in place how do I fill and blend the area in the green square where the yellow arrow is.  The post is 1/4 inch and this part of fuselage is much wider? 

Thanks again

20231018_171157~2.jpg

Jonathan,

I would slide the fin post all the way to the bottom of the fuz, then to make up the thickness of the fin post put a fillet piece in either side where you have drawn the green square and then give it all a really good sanding to make the shape, then add the rudder.

Hope that makes sense,

I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Don't forget to leave a gap for the tailplane Jon.

That is the kind of mistake I would make. I am trying to do one small job per night to keep the momentum as not much time.  That is the kind of error that creeps in when you build like this and forget what your doing day to day...