Jocasta build

Mowerman

Finally done it! The winter build of 'Jocasta ' is finished, and maidened successfully.

bjoc.jpg

I found the build straightforward, although I was caught out with the 'former' material, finally ignoring the '1/4” balsa' statement, and following the cutout diagram notes. I noted Jim's comments about the weakness of the tailwheel, and used a loop axle which was fibre-glassed into the tail with tissue, the resin carried into the lower (dowelled with a toothpick) hinge. This is a strong arrangement, and well worth the time and effort.

jocasta alterations design 004.jpg djoc.jpg

I also used shaped balsa wingtips, with (top photo) lightening holes.

Having blessed (!) many a designer for their access to battery et al , I introduced a different battery and ESC area;

bbbbbbb 039.jpg

There are two compartments, one on top of the other. The ESC can be seen in the lower one, in line with the airscoop (under – unsighted), and the battery on top ( the velcro strip for it can be seen on the raised battery 'floor'. The prop in the pic is not fitted yet! On the wing, the battery and hood.

The rails to support both 'floors' are acting as longitudinal strengtheners, and the floors are secured with screws.

All my decals are home-made, using transfer paper and the PC. The roundels were printed on light paper, and stuck on with 'Pritstick'. The code DYS-G , used on all my trainers, is the start of the Welsh word for learner, 'dysgwr'.

bbbbbbb 034.jpg bbbbbbb 036.jpg

The flight was supervised by a local expert;

fjocredkite.jpg

….and celebrated in appropriate style!

fjocairdisplasy.jpg

'Jocasta' flew really well, although I will alter the prop thrust angle, it's a bit floaty for the Atlantic breezes at Pembrey! All the participants shown above were in the air at (nearly!) the same time as the maiden flight.

With many thanks to Jim Newberry for a sensible plan, an easy build, and a great flier.

Den Moran

• 3 weeks later...

Den, Maiden flight needed full 'down trim'but otherwise fine.First flight piloted by fellow club member with me on camera.second flight by me. No problems. Nose weight will be added for next session.

Andrew, Hobby King film used as I had a roll (bought by mistake) Motor used EMAX 2830/07, prop 13x8. 3s 3000 Lipo power 420W @38A. Flown at half throttle, could use finer pitch prop, say 13x6.Now waiting for wind to drop then you can bring your Yorkshireman so I can see that fly. Two biplanes together with the Jocasta in formation !

• 3 months later...

Well done to all you maiden flyers, I'm still away off, just about ready to cover. I need a bit of info first please. What are the methods you have found to cover the undercarriage wire legs. I thought I would slot a piece of balsa into the triangular space the legs create a covetable surface, but just worried that the legs may flex a lot,me specially with some of my landings!

And that would split the wood etc. Anyway your advice gladly received as always. Many thanks, and safe flying.

Glyn.

Glyn

As you can see I left my U/C legs 'naked' On a previous model I used covering film stretched across the gap.

A possible way would be to use depron instead of balsa to allow for the legs flexing.

My Jocasta has now had a dozen or so successful flights smileyMax duration about 15min. Sadly with the weather and SWMBO's health problems I am not able to get many days at the field.

Hi Mowerman,

Thanks for that I'll give it a go. Did you cover the top and bottom surfaces of the wing using one piece of film, or did you cut two lengths to centre and overlap. It seem to me, that a single length might be quite a handful to manage, what do you think?

Cheers Glyn.

Went to the field today, had a nice flight with the Jocasta then a flight with my Yorkshireman with aone good landing and one just off the strip (wind at 90 to the strip).

Then went for another flight with the Jocasta and managed to fly it into the front of the steel container we use as a garage for the mower crying.(brain in neutral?)

The repairs will keep me busy for a few days frown.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm nearly there! Everything looks ok except I have made a pigs ear of the tail section hinges. I didn't know that wood should have been cut away to allow insetting of of the hinge body centre, so I have an unsightly gap on rudder and elevator. Tried to remove them for a second go, but they refused to budge. At least I know they are well fixed!

I just have the top surface of the wing (not sure I will get it in my car!!!) to cover. I need two bits of advice here please. I'm rather dubious of attempting to cover it in one piece, I did the bottom in two pieces, but you can't see that, What did you do? This leads me onto to the second question, Is it advisable to protect etc the film where the elastic bands will make contact?

If so what's the best method? Oh yes still have to make the windscreen. It's been fun and also frustrating at times.

Hope you can help me on this last leg.

Kind regards, Glyn.

Best to cover in two pieces, then maybe use a contrasting colour over the centre section. The glass tape should give sufficient protection against the rubber bands. The white silicon rubber bands are wide enough to spread the load.

Mine is now repaired and back flying with a nice new bright red( (the only rattle can I had to hand) cowl.

Hi again Mowerman,

Thanks for that. I will do as you say. I am not so worried about the bands cutting into the balsa sheeting, or the edges,more cutting through the heatshrink. I'm thinking of fixing two plastic protectors over the leading and trailing edges.

Glad your up and flying again. Would like to see what you have done with the rattle !

Cheers, Glyn.

Hi, Thanks for that it looks good. I am having to make two new ailerons having covered them I wasn't happy with the fit into the wing at all. But the deciding factor was I realised I had forgotten to install the ply sheets for the control horns! I won't mentioned the grief I had aligning the hinges to get flush top and bottom surfaces!!! Ah well I've got it all to do again.Thinking of taking up bowls ha ha.

Cheers and fly happy,

Glyn.

Ah I wondered where the pics were. I found them by going to your profile page and looking in your image folder.

I had a salutary experience yesterday. i have a work desk where everything you put down rolls off onto the floor, drives me mad. I cut a piece of balsa with my modelling scalpel, put it down and it immediately made off towards me, i had my hands full of plane, so as it rolled off onto me I naturally closed my legs together to stop it reaching the floor. Yep you've guessed. The action of closing my legs drove the blade into my inner thigh the full length of the blade. Ouch I cried, stood up with the knife sticking horizontally out of my leg. I have now fitted an anti rolling device the the handle!!! Bled a bit and rather sore today. S**t happens i guess.

i was working on my second set of ailerons (don't ask)

Hoping to be finished this week, just the canopy/windscreen to sort out. Not sure how to best fix it into place.

Cheers for now, Glyn.

Crumbs - you were so lucky with that one - I think you main artery runs down the inside of your thigh, that would have made one big mess of your paint finish!

I must admit I hate those round hobby type handles that roll around everywhere. I use these

5a handle.jpg

They cost under a tenner, do not move whenyou put them down and are comfy to use due to the nylon handle. Just look for a 'Swann-Morton 5A'

Glad you are ok, cheers, Simon

Thanks guys, taken your advice and ordered a couple. I think the desk is level its that the cylindrical handles have a mass that starts rolling very easily. Leg is fine today, just gotta pluck up the courage to pull the plaster off !!!

Kind regards, Glyn.

At last I'm about done. But I'm struggling a bit with the windscreen. I have a sheet of acrylic, but I'm finding it very stiff to form into a shape so that it retains the curves, especially at the top. There just isn't much of a surface to adhere it to. I really would appreciate knowing what material you guys used, and how you managed a secure fixing.

Hope you can help, thanks.

Glyn