Engine advice

Ian Bagshaw

Just getting back into flying after a long break, I am planning on resurrecting a loaded dice and an Aerostar 62.

This has probably been asked many times in my absence but why does nobody produce rear exhaust engines anymore to be used with a tuned pipe? These planes originally had Hanno Specials in them (long since sold) which apart from the power, fitted neatly with no side exhaust pipe sticking out.

I'm sure there is a simple answer, also could anyone recommend a modern day alternative.

Many thanks

Ian

hello Ian-welcome back to the hobby-probably because time and technology has moved on and electric motors are the current(pardon the pun)flavour of the month...sure some people will still use them(IC) but when you get your feet back under the table you also will be swayed by brushless motor's.....that are with us...amazing things.

ken Anderson...ne....1 feet dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 26/01/2015 18:07:14

Hi Ian

Hanno Specials now fetch ridiculous amounts of money for a good example. OS 61 RF's are a little cheaper and can be found. Check out Puffin Models. The MVVS 77 turns a 12 x 12 on low nitro fuel and before the first run the cylinder can be turned through 90 degrees to enable side or rear exhaust configuration. Would need a new piston and liner to revert back again later.

Enya are planning a rear exhaust 60 and YS have a version already on sale.

Hope this helps

Steve

Ian

There's plenty of good second hand motors out the some of those are in an un-run condition, just keep your eyes pealed and you will find one. In fact for the right price I have a pumped webra 80R Ex manifold & pipe out of a LD that I may part with

Beware of used Hannos by sellers (Dealers) on flea bay though.

Hope this helps

Sam

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm also thinking about getting back into aeromodelling again and have been going through what I have. In the drawer is an OS 61 RF pumper and looking at either getting it renovated or buying a new OS 61.

Really not sure about electric.

(First job is getting the radio serviced - it has been idle for a while)

Then the decision on engine choice. Lots of research under way.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 06/09/2015 23:06:26:

I thought that the UKCAA was about classics, not sewing machine motors!

LOL! No restrictions on the choice of power plant Martin.. We dont want to put any blockers in the way for people building and flying although I agree that nothing sounds better that a hot 60 on a pipe on song..

Martyn

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/09/2015 15:22:20:

Most MVVS engines are available with rear exhaust if requested at new purchase.........

I owned an MVVS .91 a while back which would have given the OS .91fx a run for it's money. That particular engine is now owned by a member of this forum, and is still performing well........

and is powering the King Altair in my avatar pic! It's probably overkill for most 60 size models but the 60 or 77 MVVSs should fit the bill.

Having said that, I did run the 90 on a full length pipe in a 60 size Jokersmiley

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 07/09/2015 15:44:57