How far do you travel to the nearest decent model shop?

There used to be a few good model shops withing cycling distance for me but they've all gone. The last was Hobbystores in Beeston but that was really a car ride although I did cycle there once when I only needed light, small stuff.

I was a regular at AJ in Pilsley nr Chesterfield which was 10/12 hilly but pleasant miles which gave me a bit of exercise and Spondon Super Models was a convenient call on my way home when I was working. Wayland's in Heanor helped me a lot when I first started but he retired. Now the nearest model shop is GeeDee in Nottingham which is neither a decent bike ride nor handy by car because of a lack of easy parking, so I don't bother. So now it's all internet or telephone orders and occasionally, shows.

I regret it partly because it's not always convenient and partly because I was brought up living on the premises of the family shop and enjoyed serving customers from a very young age..

Geoff

Maybe the title is a little ambiguous but I took it as a literal question 'How far do you travel to get to your nearest decent model shop?', but with the internet and model show options should it be 'where do you shop most?'.

If that's the case, then the internet wins hands down.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 16/02/2015 15:33:51

I rarely get to a model shoppe now. Nearest "decent" one (that wouldn't be completely in the wrong direction for my normal area of travel) would be 35 miles each way as there's nothing in Cambridge any more.

Closest I've ever been was when I was living about 200 ft from the now defunct Hobbystores in Trumpington. That was handy, though it wasn't what you'd call well stocked.

Consequently I stock up when the LMA visits Rougham.

25 miles each way to Sussex Model Centre (south), 20 miles each to nearest one to the north. Did have a good small shop 15 miles to the north but the owner sadly died 18 months ago and no one carried the shop on. Have used several mail order shops successfully but also rely on the bigger shows.

John

crying My LMS, no more than 1.5 miles from home, is closing shortly. I've responded as things are today but it's going to change. Much discsussion going on in our club regarding the matter. Those that like to use the LMS are not very happy.

When the shop (Barnstormers, Winsford) first opend up in 2003 Alex Whittaker ran an article in RCM&E which I'm sure helped things along but now it's all coming to an end. A sad time for a lot of us.

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/02/2015 16:37:21

I'm about 10 miles from Al' s Hobbies in Milton Keynes so that's where I usually go. Ok for kits and wood but I also get bits on line or at shows to save postage. There used to be Maple Models in Bletchley which is nearer but it moved a while back. The Maple Models owner operated from an industrial unit as Enigma Models until about 2 years ago but has now gone.

Hello all,

If anything needed I go to Aerobertics in Brugge, about 61 kms from home, with also a good website.

If I visit my daughter now and then in St Albans I make a point of going to Motors & Rotors in Kings Langley. All very helpful and friendly.

Posted by David Davis on 16/02/2015 10:45:07:

I'd like to give a plug for Whitchurch Models in North Shropshire which is about twenty miles away from my home.

Went on hols to N Shropshire and enquired from Whitchurch's website what their opening hours and item availability was. Never heard a peep so I didn't bother going the 10 miles to see them.

Posted by Nigel Day on 16/02/2015 18:58:52:
Posted by David Davis on 16/02/2015 10:45:07:

I'd like to give a plug for Whitchurch Models in North Shropshire which is about twenty miles away from my home.

Went on hols to N Shropshire and enquired from Whitchurch's website what their opening hours and item availability was. Never heard a peep so I didn't bother going the 10 miles to see them.

They probably read your jokes wink

John

Posted by kevin b on 16/02/2015 20:30:59:

Model Shop Leeds is 27 miles from home, but 2 miles from work. Flying field is 2 miles from home, 26 miles from work. I'm going into semi-retirement, so will have to combine work with shopping ! wink 2

Or move in where you work Kevin ?