EPP Foam Kit of a Avro Vulcan B2

Mark Kettle 1

Glue in fin posts note order and length of posts

sb. glue in fin posts .jpg

Weight down on non-stick paper and leave to dry

tb. weight down on non stick paper.jpg

First mark a line 75 mm from the tail-cone end as a reference for where the fin rear is attached. Find a tool - screw driver - to poke holes though the fuselage for fin attachment. Make sure it's less in width than the 6 mm square wood so the fin posts will be tight. First transfer the measurements from the base of the fin where the fin posts appear and mark dots on the fuselage top where you need to poke though. Also copy the angle on a piece of card of the fin post so you can use this as a guide to your poking. Remember to keep down the centre line of the fuselage.

vb. holes for fin .jpg

Mark a line at 75 mm.

ub. rear of fin attaches 75 mm from end of tail cone .jpg

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 21/03/2015 14:40:57

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 21/03/2015 14:45:55

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 21/03/2015 14:51:46

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 19/03/2015 14:56:07:

Oh yes its on the shelve ready for next week when I see Tim. Tim said you a fast builder, when will it be ready Ian?

And what finish or decoration are you doing on it?

tim mackey with his avro vulcan 44 inch span epp foam model at the great orme october 2014 .jpg

This is Tim Mackey with his Avro Vulcan B2 at the PSSA meeting on the Great Orme October 2015.

Me, a fast builder! I wouldn't have said so but happy to take a compliment. The plan is to pick it up this weekend, layout the parts and re-read this thread, then get to work. I hope to then maiden it at the April PSSA event. It is a hope more than reality though, I have a huge amount of other things getting in the way but at least with a plan in mind it might just happen.

I like the white finish best but I think camouflage will be the way to go just for visibility, any thoughts on that?

Ian

Edit: Just watched Lleyn video again, white seems as qood as any, probably quicker to finish too, hmmmindecision

Edited By Ian Jones on 23/03/2015 19:34:11

Not wanting to stray off topic but a quick mention for the new little Spit above. A bit of COG correction after a couple of test glides / flights saw her flying and presenting beatifully. 40" span and auw of 22 oz including the balance weights. Substitute mini servo and shave a few grams off the tail and I reckon Mark will get this down around 16 - 18oz unpainted. Another winner Mark and remember, I want an 80" by summer

In this You Tube video -Tim Mackey demonstrates launching, flying, pushing out over the sea from the steep coastal site and lands on the grass by his side avoiding the rocks. It all took place at the Great Orme North Wales March 2015. The video's unedited and the model sometimes is a speck on the screen, however at that time lots of techniques are expressed and worthy of keeping in. Sorry about the wind noise on the mic and the icky on the lens/screen top right, it's a new camera and it seems it's inside one of the lens - I will have to take it back.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/03/2015 19:38:08

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 24/03/2015 19:53:00

As I said, I used a 2s lipo, as I do in most models. I cut off the main power leads and insulate the ends ( the leads and any fitted plug are just too bulky and not needed ) and balance charge and power the radio all via the balance lead. I made up a small patch lead that enables the lipo to be properly recognised and charged by the charger.

I have posted about this before, and if I can find the old thread I'll link to it.