what 1st turbine /airframe

ben goodfellow  1

If you get a chance, contact the JMA. Dave Wilstshire from motors and rotors is possibly your best contact and attend some of the events put on by them or Dick Spreadbury's Classic jets. Classic jets can be found on Facebook. Like the page and you will automatically get their event dates sent to you. Speak to as many people as you can at the event to get ideas. All are very approachable although you may get varying iews on the best set up to go for. Personnally I went for some secondhand stuff as you can get some amazing deals. BMFA classifieds is a good place to look. Costwise, you'll need to factor in all the ground support equipment, Fire extinguishers Charging gear etc. which can be expensive also. Allow £200 here and you'll be about right (assuming you already have normal R/C gear.)

Good luck. I may bump into you at one of the events.

• 1 year later...

I bought a second hand airframe with a Jetcat P20sx, didnt like the airframe, so opted for the Sebart Mini Avanti, this was after buying the new mini Xcalibre, third time lucky! I didn't crash any of these just weren't my cup of tea, I taught myself to fly turbines so maybe that was it, they do take a bit to get used to.

The mini Avanti is by far a much nicer Airframe, lighter and much slower on landing it is easier to land than some of my prop planes, some folk say the p20sx is too small and there aren't many airframes around that suit it but I like it, its small cheap to run as it burns through 500ml per flight as opposed to multiple Litres worth.

In saying that I have just bought a second Jet a DeHaviland Vampire with an 80 size turbine in it, so all I can say is you wont be able to stop at one, they will make you poor, but you will have the biggest smile on your face after your first flight.

Welcome to the addiction!

I would say, before you break bank, give grounds for divorce, get a taster from Paul Heckles. Then you can make a serious decision if you are ready for, or even want to do, toys what cost thousand of quid per flying mistake, service schedule error, set up error, build error, ad infinitum.

Make a REALY nice Chrissy present, hint, hint.

• 1 year later...

Ben - I'm planning to go turbines too. Mine is a 5-year plan though as I have to get my flying up to scratch first. My target aircraft are Jet Provost, McDonald Shooting Star or Grumman Panther (basically the 'straight-wing' jets as my research shows these to be more for giving...

Yr 1 - Airfix kit of Jet Provost with scale drawings. Yr 2 - PSS Jet Provost slope machine. Yr 3 - EDF Jet Provost. Yr. 4 - Professional flying lessons. Yr. 5 - Final model selection and build.

Research findings - yes, there will be quite a lot of s/h kit out there. I would only buy from a reliable /known source though. Many clubs won't allow them due to potential damage to farmer's crops etc. These things gobble up a lot of sky very quickly - also, you need to think about the various failure modes (structural and radio-wise). Additional insurance cover ?

Main benefits of the plan - 5 years to save up the necessary cash !

Good luck with your project,

Dave

Correction to the last post - the T33 Shooting Star was, of course, not a burger ! It came from the Lockheed camp during the Ben Rich era. BTW his book on the Lockheed "Skunk Works" is a great read (probably 'out-of-print' now but worth looking out for in the s/h book shops).

Apologies to all at Lockheed !

Dave