Doesn't Run

Hi

Keyword Help - Still learning much about electric flight

Just finished my Durafly Sea Vixen and with all installed I thought I'd run the motor

It's a 14.8 volt motor and although I've yet to purchase a 4 cell lipo I thought I'd 'give it a go' with a 3 cell but the motor doesn't run despite the fact that all the surfaces work.

I noticed when connecting the battery that the usual electronic 'bleep' wasn't there !

Regds

Roger

The motor should run on a 3cell lipo just with much lower RPM - but dont try and fly on 3 cells - it almost certainly wont fly with the much lower power supply

Have you programmed the ESC?

Are you using a seperate TX battery? if so then I would be looking at the battery/ESC connections if I am not hearing the ESC arm

If your not and using the ESC to power the RX then I would be looking at the ESC itself

Have you a spare ESC you can test in the Vixen (could be a lower rated one with 3 cells)?

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 19/04/2015 11:13:04

Check the cut off voltage on the Esc

Sam - how do I do that Sam ?

Have you programmed the ESC? - how do I do that Dave ?

do you have the throttle at minimum ? Esc will not arm unless throttle is moved to minimum, you may even have to drop the throttle trim down also. - it was set to 'closed' to avoid the motor everything suddenly kicking off - will try with trim down as well

So are we saying that a 14.8 volt motor will run with an 11+ volt supply (3 cell) ?

Roger

Roger just to clarify the points made as you have asked

1 if you are scared of the motor firing up unexpected,a valid concern I might add take the prop off to start with

I assume you do not have the instructions for the esc from what you have said if not you might get it off the web. They will clarify the points already made.

you asked how to check the cut off voltage. What that means is that the esc will shut the power from the motor when the voltage per cell gets too low (about 3 and a bit volts per cell) this allows the receiver to have sufficient voltage to land. Once again the esc can be programmed either to count the cells,normally default, or you can set that yourself

Was the esc new or has someone programmed it before

As mentioned before the esc needs to be taught the range of the throttle stick this involves basically putting stick to max revs and then turning on the receiver then after a few seconds pulling it to min now here's the rub. Someone asked the question as to whether it is a Futaba TX this is very significant for some reason you will need to make sure the throttle channel is reversed otherwise it will really confuse the esc

I would spect the motor to work on 3s ok if the esc was set up ok.

I have tried to clarify points made but probably have confused you more. It might help if you can tell us what motor and esc you are using looking up the esc instructions on the web may clarify things,and if you cannot find it try looking at a different esc it may not help you program yours but will clarify what we are saying. A good one to look up is the Robotbirds range. Their instructions make sense,some are so badly written and impossible to understand.

It would help if you tell us some details of the ESC and the name and model number of the motor.

It is unusual for an ESC not to make any beep at all when connected to a battery.

This ESC is connected to a 2s and nothing else - it still beeps.

The single beep is saying the ESC cannot see a control signal.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 19/04/2015 19:24:43